324 messages Options
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 17
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

sig

moguljunkie and scottski63 left some table scraps from friday's assault.  unfortunately it quickly got heavy by 10-10:30. too
 bad because there were lines to be had . this was my second spring day at platty this year ,
first one was mid january. placed was packed, cars parked down the road all the way to the farmers house.
could not get a seat at the bar. hate when that happens. good for lazlo
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Conditions in a word.......spectacular.  That would also describe the weather, and the general scene.  Coverage is great, snow was soft, and yes, a little sticky.  However, that didn't put a damper on the fun.

Egads!  A lift line!

All 4 minutes of it.

The lunch scene.

Classic.  That could be a scene straight out of the 70s!

From first tracks on cord in the am to creamy goodness in the pm, the trails were great.

Oh, you want to know how the woods are?  Well, didn't have to poke hard to find the goods, and there was, still is, more than table scraps.  I skied untracked lines from open to closing bell.  Yeah, got sticky at 10.....but that just gave you some automatic speed control!  This was the first time I played in the Plattywood, and they did not disappoint.  So many lines and fun features.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Nice pics. I was there, too, but doing a good amount of teaching. Here's a panorama shot from lunchtime:

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Spring skiing like that isn't something we want in Feb, but what a day.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Today was great. The suposed 40" of snow last week finally made the woods look inviting enough for me to enter, and I did.  It was a great day for hucking cliffs. Too bad all this snow is going to be melting away this week.

Turnout was unreal today as well. You know,it's a good day for Platte when there's a traffic jam on Meeker Hollow road.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
A few more pics from today.

I think I am going to clear out this section of the woods over the summer to make these drops more doable.

The snow was weird, but kinda fun.  I call it pasta snow because of the sticky aspect to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Hard and fast this morning, but only for a run or two. Then soft, slow, and edgy. Cars down the road to that blue barn with the house across the road. 10 or more on line for lift tickets at 1pm.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Johnnyonthespot wrote
that blue barn with the house across the road.
It's called the Finches farm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Sunday - 2/19/17. Cornhead and I skied Plattekill, it was firm and hard early at opening then it softened up after awhile. Nice spring corn snow on Blockbuster. A large crowd, but liftlines were not to long. Nice warm bluebird day.

Cornhead on Blockbuster:
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
I'm making my annual pilgrimage down there on Tuesday.  Will bring fat skis and carvers as well...hoping to hit what is left in the trees.  
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Conditions were, well, firm.  Most trails open but some were dicey.  Right hand side of mountain softened up nicely by noon but left side was tricky with the exception of Northface and Plunge.  Trees not in play - coverage waning and snow never softened.  Nice to see a good crowd today - should help their bottom line.

I reminisced a bit today when I saw the old t-bar towers - when I first skied Plattekill I think that was the only lift on the mountain.  Then came the year (1978 maybe?) when they cut the new terrain and added the triple.  I think my Dad skied with me one day back then - still had his leather lace boots and Hart metal skis with Cubco (?) bindings LOL!  Was a great mountain then and is still a great mountain now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
How's the mountain looking? Anybody ski today?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It's cold and of course there's a bit less open then last time I was here but overall pretty good
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
A little hump day stoke for the Plattekill community

This is a buddy of mine from work, an old Northen Cali country boy; he lived in Utah for a couple years too. I introduced him to Platty a few years ago. Skiing with him is always fun.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
You think 1-2 feet will get the woods back in play?
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Thinking of s solo trip up. Anybody else going for Saturday?
I know Wednesday will probably be a powder daze. I think Saturday will still be great.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Plattekill is expecting occasional gust over 40mph for wednesday.  Is plattekill known for wind hold?  Will the powder daze most likely be wed?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Web site says stay tuned for possible Powder Daize on Wed.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
I haven't heard of wind hold at Plattekill. I think a power outage could be a possibility. I'm bringing skins just in case.

I think 20"+ and a lot of wind could possibly result in some skiable woods if you don't mind a core shot here or there.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
2-3 feet tomorrow.  i am climbing the walls. hope i can get to sleep.its like the night before christmas
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 17