Small trailer and what to pull it with?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
213 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Small trailer and what to pull it with?

campgottagopee
Looked like the Hopper 30, same that I have. Mine was a gift so I'm not exactly sure how much it was.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Those look sweet --- a bit pricey
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That thing looks cool but I agree it's way overpriced. i understand there's a weight penalty versus carbon or fiberglass but I think somebody needs to come up with a simple camper/cap made from rotomolded plastic- maybe with aluminum reinforcements at the corners. Plastic kayaks and canoes are a fraction of the cost of fiber or Kevlar models.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
It's super expensive, but I think lightweight is the future.

F150 hybrid comes out in 2020, Tacoma hybrid maybe 2021.

Trying to make my suburu last until I can make a choice between those options (plus lightweight cap like that) or the new VW electric bus that comes out in 2022 (outfitted with the announced camper package):

Or a used Sprinter, which is probably just fine, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hybrid trucks have been around for a while now. Hopefully when your in the market they get them straightened  around. That said if you aren't going to really use it as a truck you should be fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Chev had a Silverado mild hybrid in 2005.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
I saw a really well tricked out Mercedes self contained diesel sprinter set up as a camper .The woman who owned it was doing a presentation to our hospital board .She set up right in the parking lot during her training sessions .

She is the  CEO of a very large hospital system spread throughout the state of Maine and made the rounds of the various hospitals in the system  weekly . She quickly tired of motels and restaurants several days a week and decided on this mode of lodging ....what a sweeeeeeeeet ride and setup for both business and pleasure .

Yup she and her husband are skiers too, so it was really a saweeeeeeeet set up .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
It's super expensive, but I think lightweight is the future.

F150 hybrid comes out in 2020, Tacoma hybrid maybe 2021.

Trying to make my suburu last until I can make a choice between those options (plus lightweight cap like that) or the new VW electric bus that comes out in 2022 (outfitted with the announced camper package):

Or a used Sprinter, which is probably just fine, too.

I would bet the price of F150 hybrid will be north of 50k..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
For sure! Heck most of them already are
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by warp daddy
There is a cult around modified sprinters. The reality is not what the dream is selling. They are really poorly made for the task of a conversion although people have gotten very creative. Every time I run the numbers on this a mid tier hotel room always wins. It use to be you could rent an efficiency in an extended stay America for $150/week. Just check, you can rent one in Sandy UT for $55/night during ski season. Full kitchen & cleaned for you. For the price of a modified sprinter and associated maintenance, seems like a no brainer to me.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
PeeTex wrote
There is a cult around modified sprinters. The reality is not what the dream is selling.
This is true. Actual real-life ski bums and/or dirtbags don’t have the money for the build-outs you see posted online nowadays, much less the 100k you need for an actual factory-built class B RV. On the other hand a 90s era vandura or Astro van + your basic backpacking stove or a two- burner Coleman... that’s exciting
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I had the Gmc version of the astro. XT 2wd. 'Twas a beast. That 4.3L leaked fuel at the throttle body though.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, I had the GMC Safari also- twice actually, an 85 ( they only came as 2wd shorties then) and a 2002 AWD. I loved both of them. They were awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
There is a cult around modified sprinters. The reality is not what the dream is selling. They are really poorly made for the task of a conversion although people have gotten very creative. Every time I run the numbers on this a mid tier hotel room always wins... For the price of a modified sprinter and associated maintenance, seems like a no brainer to me.
I've thought about this, and I really think that, logistically, both options are a tremendous pain in the ass.

Going hotel to hotel (or AirB&B to AirB&B), you gotta figure out where you're gonna be every night, find pet friendly lodging, coordinate check in and check out times, plan your day around when you'll be able to get back and shower before going back out for the food you might have to buy (if your room doesn't have a kitchen), watch shitty hotel TV, feel like you're taking the same vacation a bunch of other assholes are, etc.

For the van, you have to find a place that will let you park (not always the beautiful places you see on Instagram, a lot of #vanlifers spend time in WalMart parking lots because they are relatively safe and free), empty your cassette toilet (or whatever) all the time, ride around in whatever stench you have (with all your wet gear, dog, etc.), worry about power generation (or getting ice) to keep your beer cold, buying food, rainy days where you feel like you're trapped in a 80 sq ft prison, etc.

Nothing's easy. If it were easy, it'd be sitting at home on the couch. I think that the way that would work best for me is probably a supercheap setup (modify someone else's already built out van and go). No use sinking a ton of money into something like a $45k solar powered electric VW van or a $50k Hybrid Truck with a $10k truck cap.

This looks like a cool option, though:

https://youtu.be/Vh_d31rWt2o
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
That thing does kick ass.  I'd forego the dryer and maybe washer.  I would probably have a seating area on the roof, though.  I can't understand how the holding tank wouldn't slosh all over the place when you go to empty it.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I used to sell these guys their beadlock wheels. They're near Denver so I would always visit them on a Friday or Monday and ski the weekend.
Earthroamer
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
FKNA!  ^^^^
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
220,000 miles and they want $16,000 for it?

Looks like a nice build, though. I like those awnings.
1 ... 3456789 ... 11