Small trailer and what to pull it with?

79 messages Options
1 ... 45678
Marcski Marcski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Small trailer and what to pull it with?

Brownski Brownski
Reply |

That airstream is nice but how about this:

Warren Miller at Donner Pass in '48. That little bump in the snow behind the car is his camper
gorgonzola gorgonzola
Reply |

In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Here's a nice looking trailer:
Holy shit it should be for $36K !!!
K man K man
Reply |

We picked up a used 16 ft trailer a year ago.  We tossed around the idea of a Sprinter Van, but didn't want to drive our house.  We like to base camp for a week or so and like SB said, we don't want to have to unrig to go to the store. We've mountain biked in North Caroline, spent a week in Acadia, and a few 4 day weekends in the northeast.  Most of our camping has been off the grid, so no hook ups, etc.  Our next big adventure will be Nova Scotia this summer for 2 weeks.  We tow it with our Jeep Grand Cherokee, so no need for a new or an extra vehicle.  We are retiring in 2018 and are already planning a multi-month trip.  Free camping for up to 2 weeks on Nat. Forest and BLM lands out west.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Used trailer seems to the most economical option. Ability to tow it with different vehicles is a huge  plus. And you can find one super cheap on Craigslist.

My only problem with it is that it eliminates the "stealth camping" option. Sometimes, I think I'd like to park, say, on a city street in Bozeman, Montana for a couple of days.

Another small issue is that I like the idea of just climbing in back if I need to (for example, if it's raining, I don't want to have to leave the vehicle, run around the back of my camper, unlock it, and jump inside). I thought this was an interesting, out of the box solution:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/92322-Hello-All-My-first-post-Here-is-my-simple-custom-GMC-Cube-Van-conversion
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

Any trailers made to be better, warmer in the winter ? A standard trailer/camper seems like it would be hard to keep warm when it's cold. Would use lots of propane, then trips to refill. Just a thought.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Pop-up trailers are for shit in winter. Mine is a non-starter, like winter camping in a hammock.  A  tent on the ground is way warmer. Some travel trailer manufacturers brag about how well insulated their units are but overall, you're correct. Vans aren't usually well insulated either though. If you build out your own, it's an important detail to think about. I think trying to keep the interior warm overnight is folly. Let it get cold and stay inside a warm sleeping bag (or two bags, one inside the other).
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Here's something that looks promising. The article I saw on them said they came in around 4-6k based on features but I had a tough time navigating the website.
http://hikertrailer.net
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

1 ... 45678