1175 messages Options
1 ... 28293031323334 ... 59
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

Harvey
Administrator
Looks cool. My next bike will definitely have a single front chain ring. Hell I only use 1, 2 and maybe 3rd on our trails.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I don't have the knowledge to my own install..
You'd be surprised... The mechanics of a bike transmission of very straight forward... a good repair stand and a few YouTube videos will save you some cash on labor.  
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Looks cool. My next bike will definitely have a single front chain ring. Hell I only use 1, 2 and maybe 3rd on our trails.
Thanks Harv.  I really like the simplicity... I didn't think it would matter all that much, but I am finding that it actually does. With only 1 option up front, your mind is freed up to focus more on bike handling.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Beehive Complex  with my Old Lady.  More Motos than Mtn Bikes... generally not very busy for a splendid Sunday afternoon.

Looking North up the Columbia towards Canada from the Mission Ridge TH

Looking across Devil's Gulch at the Stuart Range
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
JasonWx wrote
i have never used my front derailleur ...
It doesn't hurt anything just riding there. Save your cash.
The extra rings up front add rotation weight. A dropper post adds another lever and cable so it's really nice to simplify the set up any way you can. If you are really into riding these things matter, if it's sort of a casual for fun only once in the while sort of thing then ya, probably not a big deal.

Hey Nepa, get yourself a dropper post, it's the coolest gear advancement is mtb-ing in the last 10 years or so. Also, have you ever tried a shorter stem and wider handlebars? It makes a bike much more aggressive, some people don't want to sacrifice climbing ability for a better descending set up, I get that but if you like the downs it would make your ride a lot more stable and rip-able on the steeps and descents. The wide bars are a lot like a strong ski stance. It's also a lot quicker for initiating corners.

Nice work on the 1x11 set up.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
raisingarizona wrote
Snowballs wrote
JasonWx wrote
i have never used my front derailleur ...
It doesn't hurt anything just riding there. Save your cash.
The extra rings up front add rotation weight. A dropper post adds another lever and cable so it's really nice to simplify the set up any way you can. If you are really into riding these things matter, if it's sort of a casual for fun only once in the while sort of thing then ya, probably not a big deal.

Hey Nepa, get yourself a dropper post, it's the coolest gear advancement is mtb-ing in the last 10 years or so. Also, have you ever tried a shorter stem and wider handlebars? It makes a bike much more aggressive, some people don't want to sacrifice climbing ability for a better descending set up, I get that but if you like the downs it would make your ride a lot more stable and rip-able on the steeps and descents. The wide bars are a lot like a strong ski stance. It's also a lot quicker for initiating corners.

Nice work on the 1x11 set up.

AZ you are spot on with the dropper..  It has changed my ridding 100%..

Hopefully my 1x11 gets installed this week..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree front derailleurs are out, dropper posts are in.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Saturday morning ride in LP Cindarella Story/Algonquin -> Craigwood Trails.  First time over this way and Craigwood was super fun...sweet flow over there.

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Winter project is to build up a 27.5 Turner Burner.  Frame, headset and a 150 Rockshox Pike are all I have so far.  Definately going 1x11 this time.  I may swap a few goodies from my Turner 5 Spot, like the KS Lev dropper post, etc. I think buying the parts for a new build is almost as much fun as riding it.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Why not just drop big bucks and go Eagle?
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Ed if you buy, I'll fly the eagle.  LOL
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Definitely pricey, only showing up on upper end bikes. I can dream, Really satisfied with the 1x11, 10- 42 that I have on my Stumpy.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
Rolling in an area called Sage Hills... under prepared for erratic weather... cold hands and feet.

Pleasant fall morning at the trailhead (1600ft)... the day's objective (4650ft) obscured by clouds.

Looking out over the Cashmere Valley... snow covered Chiwaukum range in the background.

90 minutes from the TH at ~4000ft... looking South over a spot called the One Two Divide... weather moving in from the West.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
aminals in the woods on a balmy november evening

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Squilchuck State Park... my backyard, and the site of the former Squilchuck ski area.  Cold and Damp... full winter riding gear.  Probably coming to the end of the outdoor riding season in the foothills.

The lower terminal of the Poma.  The upper terminal is on the ridge behind my house.

Even though the area has been lost since the early 60's, the kill switch still looks pretty shiny

The base lodge.

I can't seem to find too much info on the ski area.  There is lot's of stuff on the WVC Ski Team, but nothing on the Squilchuck area at our local library.  This is one of the only pictures I could find (base lodge in the background)

The ride track with the site of the ski area highlighted.  The Poma line is in yellow.  There were 2 other rope tows.  Vertical was about 450ft.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Very cool. You also reminded me I really like those pics above from earlier. Looks like you're making good use of your time.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Brownski wrote
Very cool. You also reminded me I really like those pics above from earlier. Looks like you're making good use of your time.
Thanks Brownski.  Yup.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
still great biking here in the NE... Also found out it was Bow Season...Hence the bright yellow shirt..Keeps it interesting

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Winding down the season with a 37 mile Gravel Fondo... started and ended at Victory Brewing im Chester County PA

...buggy back!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Watching 2016 Red Bull Rampage, that was held in Virgin, Utah.  Sick shit, crazy mofos!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
1 ... 28293031323334 ... 59