Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Get well Coach!

Nice Kona.
Harv its a great bike despite having to replace the brakes.  I probably bought it a bit too big.  Its perfect on the majority of riding I on old logging roads that are now trails in the Acres in Jay.  We have a network of close to 15 miles of trails that are only for use by those in our home owners association so I seldom see anyone when I ride.  I can ride down the dirt road I live on and be on a trail in a few mins.  The trails would be better with more traffic so that the undergrowth stays down.  When it gets really technical on a descent my bike handles like an 18 wheeler unfortunately though that is also likely due to pilot error - I'm so afraid of falling off I go too slow on descents and hit something and lose balance.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Prime biking season started when the snow melted and trails dried.
I am starting to feel that mtn biking is surpassing skiing on the fun meter. I don't freeze my ass off , as long as it's not pouring no condition issues, no lift tkts ...And most of all never a lift line or crowd...

just my opinion...
I've been thinking that a lot the last couple seasons.  Mtn biking is so damn much fun.  Getting tired of the lift service crowd lately...   hopefully it snows a lot up here.  I want to ski Dix and get back on Northface of Gothics again.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I'm so afraid of falling off I go too slow on descents and hit something and lose balance.
speed is your friend....  and don't let the front wheel deflect.  gotta keep it pointed straight over them rocks and ruts.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
Coach Z wrote
I'm so afraid of falling off I go too slow on descents and hit something and lose balance.
speed is your friend....  and don't let the front wheel deflect.  gotta keep it pointed straight over them rocks and ruts.
I've had friends tell me the same thing. It's not easy to just let er go so to speak. I ride pretty conservative going downhill. Much respect to those of you who can let it rap like that, I'm not there yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Me and a boulder I didn't see as it had leaves on it had a disagreement and I went down hard.  Blew out a dereailure cable and my shoulder does feel too good
As long as the bike's OK...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
rained yesterday!  grip tonight at hardy gonna be wicked sweet!  best time of year to ride mtn bikes!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Matt, does Ace always have a smile on her face or just when she is skiing or mt. biking??
Almost always.

When she's not smiling, something is seriously wrong.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
JasonWx wrote
Prime biking season started when the snow melted and trails dried.
I am starting to feel that mtn biking is surpassing skiing on the fun meter. I don't freeze my ass off , as long as it's not pouring no condition issues, no lift tkts ...And most of all never a lift line or crowd...

just my opinion...
All good points but I am guessing you haven't crashed your bike lately...... 
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Funny you say that...Last night my wife was asking about my bloody shins, my flat tire and bent rotor..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I took the wife to emergency room Monday.  dislocated finger, cut on knee and bruised face.  she was going for another strava QOM.  Mtn Bike was best relationship investment so far.  She is really going for it this season and she'll be really stoked when her mtn bike legs hit the ski trails!

She does make me nervous with stepping it up.  She got knocked out cold a couple weeks ago descending All In.  Came back a week later and took QOM on the short side descend of All In!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
That girl is hard core!!!!!

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Unpopular opinion: I don't think Strava should do KOM on downhills. Encourages ppl to push too hard.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I just use Strava for mapping
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Was taking a walk, stopped into our great local bike shop.  Been thinking about Shaman's bike, mid-fat?  It's full suspension.  I asked what they had in a midfat and they said they had a fuse:

Fun fun bike. They gave me a helmet and let me ride it over to the playground and into the woods.

Sweet.

No new bikes for me now, got to pony up for bindings and MAYBE NTN? for my Whiterooms.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Quick one of bike leaning on tree, in a nearly vertical corner at Gurney from last Thursday  I'm not really sure how the physics of this trail work.."Race Course"- Gurney Lane
Finally made it to Green Mountain Trails in VT on Saturday.  These guys built some beautiful trails, LONNGG switchbacks for super easy climbing and nice long descents.  The skiing back there looks impressive too.  Sorry, no trail pics.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Swapped out a 3x10 for a 1x11 setup.  Running 30 on front, with 11-40 on the rear (formerly 11-35).  Steeper climbs are a bit more work, but the simplicity of the ride is much better in my opinion.

Exchanged this:

For this:
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
holy crap, i just priced out the same thing...300 including install...I don't have the knowledge to my own install..

It seems like a now brainier upgrade..i have never used my front derailleur ...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
JasonWx wrote
i have never used my front derailleur ...
It doesn't hurt anything just riding there. Save your cash.
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 59