Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
417 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

JTG4eva!
Sorry Sno......I'm going to trust the judgement of the people who have been doing this for just a little, over some pissant, know it all kid from Rockland Co. who acts like he should be from Joisey!!  In the immortal words of Roger Daltry....."Who are you, who who....who who?"
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by snoloco
huh?  No one cares about lookout....they need to resurface and increase the depth of the trails that are currently open so they can operate after wed thur and friday's rain and warmth.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If they did not go back and resurface sky no one would be able to ski it.  May be you don't get what that shit turns into.  Duck a rope some time on a trail that has been blown but is not open.  Its scary and dangerous, it could be like that for weeks.  When a trail has been blown and a rope is up head the warning, its never fun.  Listen I'm 50, my days of pissing in the wind are over.  I take what is given and if I don't like it I do something different.  Its your time now.  Do the digging yourself for the people that make the decisions it would be a good exercise for you.  Good Luck and if lookout is not open next year by Christmas its your fucking fault, the torch has been passed.  Get on it!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
No one cares about Lookout?  Why don't you go read their fb page.  You'll soon find that people DO care about it and want it open.

Last I was at Whiteface, they had more than enough coverage on all the open terrain to make it through just about any r*in event nature threw at them.  Grooming and natural snow should be able to keep the conditions good.  If you can't ski groomed terrain after a thaw, then you need to sharpen your edges and toughen up, or just go bowling instead.  Thanks to these people, advanced skiers won't get to ski all the available terrain.

They've been blowing snow on Skyward for about 2 weeks now.  How is that not enough to groom it and move on elsewhere?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Lookout chair should be renamed the Snoloco chair.....up until the time it's opened.  That would be ironical.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
im sure almost every advanced skier would rather ski skyward or anything else on the summit rather than lookout.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Sno

that Pod is always the last to open.  Skyward was not safe to ski on Saturday so the choice someone had to make was blow more snow up there so you can fully utilize your best lift and terrain - the one that makes you different and special or go blow a trail that is too steep for a blue and not a black either.  

No one will say it but that trail did not turn out as they hoped. They had to blast way more than they had planned to and now it takes so much more snow to cover it than expected.  Its nice to have open to spread the crowds out but its really a problematic trail in so many ways.  It scares the tourists and the nets are a pain to maintain.  If they can in the future get that "last trail"  blue on the other side of lift that pod will get open quicker.

Sno why don't you call Betty Little our state senator and ask her to get WF some more $ for snow making.  Panicking because this is not open by mid January is really something we are sick or hearing so please stop.  The Daks are not for soft people.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tjf1967
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
im sure almost every advanced skier would rather ski skyward or anything else on the summit rather than lookout.
Hoyt's is an awesome trail...definitely a top 3 at WF for me.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I have never been at Whiteface when Hoyt's was open so I really can't say
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
No one will say it but that trail did not turn out as they hoped. They had to blast way more than they had planned to and now it takes so much more snow to cover it than expected.  Its nice to have open to spread the crowds out but its really a problematic trail in so many ways.  It scares the tourists and the nets are a pain to maintain.  If they can in the future get that "last trail"  blue on the other side of lift that pod will get open quicker.
I agree with that assessment.  Instead of ORDA throwing their money into the Gore Ski Bowl bottomless pit, they should've cut that trail on Lookout and added snowmaking to Hoyt's a couple years earlier than they did.

The only reason Wilmington has to be the first Lookout trail to open is because it's the only way for the groomer to get up there.  Can't go up Hoyt's or LBO.  The "last trail" needs to be build so that a groomer can get up it and that way Wilmington doesn't need to be a priority.  They could instead open that trail first, then expand to Hoyt's, and then open WT in sections.  First to LBO, and then to the base.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
No one cares about Lookout?  Why don't you go read their fb page.
Does a handful of FB posts a kerfuffel make?  Quick, get Albany on the speed dial!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
snoloco wrote
Coach Z wrote
The only reason Wilmington has to be the first Lookout trail to open is because it's the only way for the groomer to get up there.  Can't go up Hoyt's or LBO.  The "last trail" needs to be build so that a groomer can get up it and that way Wilmington doesn't need to be a priority.  They could instead open that trail first, then expand to Hoyt's, and then open WT in sections.  First to LBO, and then to the base.
 First sensible thing you have said in this thread.

Hoyt's in the spring is a top 5 bump trail in the east.  This time of the year its kind of a weird groomer as it has funny fall lines so I would strongly prefer Skyward to be in great shape.  Blowing Sky this weekend was absolutely the right call as it was superb after one day of blowing and that would not have made a dent into WT.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
snoloco wrote

you are starting to PMOMF! I've been sticking up for you even though you don't deserve it.  90% of what you said is false.  You don't know chit about our beloved so stop acting like you do.

here's your last chance before I write you off as just another taker.  Figure out a way to use your self proclaimed advanced intelligence and PeeTex like engineering physic brain to do an internship project to help WF increase capacity and more importantly establish arguments to increase ORDA budget to address any current determents.  

And they are doing freaking fantastic job right now this season because the weather pretty much sucked nov-mid dec.  WF is much bigger than all your other so well managed pimples on a butt mountains, so you better learn some chit before .  

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Way to go Sno --- you've done it now --- you better take it to the iron lil man
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Screw Rosetta Stone.....I'm sticking with the SJ School of Foreign Language!

Piss Me Off Mon Frere???
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
snoloco wrote
The only reason Wilmington has to be the first Lookout trail to open is because it's the only way for the groomer to get up there.
Meh, not so sure.  If I were king I'd want to have my terrain accessible by the highest number of paying customers first.  The exception would be the start of the season where there is less likely to be novices learning to ski on opening day.

WF seems to follow that model in opening Paron's first.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Whiteface is an expert's mountain.   Screw opening the long and hard blue trail first and open Hoyt's.  Paron's opens first on the Summit because it's the easiest trail to cover up there.  Hoyt's is the easiest trail to cover on Lookout, but without being able to groom it until WT is open, one thaw and freeze and it's closed, so they open Wilmington first.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
 Piss Me Off Mon Frere???
Yea Sno, don't take a crepe here. No deuxzies !
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
snoloco wrote
Whiteface is an expert's mountain.
Lotsa people on Mixing Bowl and Bear Den.  Besides, Bethpage Black is an expert's track, but that didn't stop a hack like me from shooting 150 on it.*

*note:  I got par on the par 3 17.
1 ... 6789101112 ... 21