Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2016-2017

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Our climate is fucked.
noip wrote
I am not seeing anything hopeful for the west side of the champlain valley in vermont for the long term.  my hill is not in good shape

anybody have any words of encouragement or a model they can point to?
Nope. Our climate is fucked. And we have a President who doesn't believe in climate change and wants to dismantle the EPA.
There is no denying climate change.  It is always warming and cool and going in and out of ice ages etc.  The question that has turned into a left vs right issue(ignoring science) is whether or not we are greatly influencing it or not.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
looks like over next 10 days will will have alternating systems going to our west  followed by their cold fronts..

bottom line it's all about the West this winter..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by louie.mirags
Its really a simple structure to explain human influenced climate change.

Has the average temperature of the earth increased in the start of the last century, reversing a cooling trend denoted in the century prior to that? - Yes

Is it increasing at a rate that suggest natural variation? - No

Is it increasing at at rate that suggests its being induced by a cataclysmic anomaly? - Yes

Has a natural cataclysmic anomaly occurred in the last century? - No

The overall answer is that there has been one virtually unregulated variable in all of this and thats the human population and its general output.

Its like people just want to put their heads in the sand because they don't want to care or take ownership of it. And thats fine, but that doesn't allow you to say the science behind it, decades of data that has been collected, is wrong.

Its incredible on this one topic, that despite an overwhelming agreement amoungst the scientific community, people simply say "Science is Wrong". Despite the fact everything in their modern lives depends on the very fundamentals of what science has provided.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Do know how accurate this is, but I saw a report saying in 100 years coastal cities like NY, LA, etc will be underwater.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Not clever PeeRed!  Not clever!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by evantful
louie.mirags wrote
The question that has turned into a left vs right issue(ignoring science) is whether or not we are greatly influencing it or not.
It's not a political issue, It's a scientific issue. The part of it that is political is weather or not we choose to do anything about it.

evantful wrote
The overall answer is that there has been one virtually unregulated variable in all of this and thats the human population and its general output.
There could be more to it than that, but Human output is huge at this point. The truth of the matter is that we all emit some small level of carbon monoxide when we breathe. When this earth was created or evolved or whatever you want to believe, it was not designed to handle the massive quantities of carbon output that we throw at it every day. Even natural phenomenon such as burning, or forest fires emits carbon. But a certain amount of carbon activity can easily be handled by our planet because plants absorb it and turn it back into oxygen.

So, one theory is that if we could significantly reduce our carbon output, the earth could theoretically over time recover and return to normal, but it would take some work. There may be more to it than that, I'm not an environmental scientist, but that's one theory I've heard.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Ethan Snow wrote
 because plants absorb it and turn it back into oxygen.
True. But plants are not keeping up. In fact, they're falling way behind, otherwise the CO2 levels would not be rising.

It saddens me that the other side of the equation gets no attention because it's equally important.

CO2 levels rise - Oxygen levels fall. Oxygen is being sequestered, unavailable for respiration. Let that sink in.

It happens on a mass scale everyday and will continue unabated, even accelerating.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
The colossal meltdown of epic proportions continues.....ugh.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
First day of Spring, Winter in the Northeast is toast. Stick a fork in it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
O snap --- Jason broke out the Phat Lady so it's official --- fishing season, here we go
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
I'm getting pretty discouraged...not gonna lie.  

On climate change...already in motion.  Like a frog put in a pot of water over a hot stove, humans aren't going to pay attention until it's too late.

Having trouble being an enthusiastic "ski the east" advocate this week.  More like "why did move from CO?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Cheer up, buttercups!  The West is rocking and while the Little Headwall is toast....by all accounts (granted, not that many because TFT seems to be a shell of its former self) Tuckermans has pretty phat coverage, at least as recently as the middle of Prez week.  Oh, and Whiteface is still serving up 67 trails, with cold weather making an appearance tomorrow and the guns set to fire up.  So put on your big girl undies, you bunch of f'in Nancys, and get after that shit!  It's only March 1.

How was that for a "we're down in the 3rd quarter" locker room speech?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Adrider83
2 years ago we had the coldest Feb on record

this year we had the 2nd warmest on record

Seems like a yo-yo pattern

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
How was that for a "we're down in the 3rd quarter" locker room speech?

kinda monotone and trumpian..  not at all inspirational for me...  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
A real Trumpster Fire, huh?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
warm up rain, three days of highs in 20s and single digit lows, followed by warm up and rain.....  The TrumpEffect in full force.  A real PeeWee of a winter!!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
also we are now referring to postholes and postholers as trumpholes and trumpholers!   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
also we are now referring to postholes and postholers as trumpholes and trumpholers!  

Scotty, do you fish??? If not you should take it up. Some of the best brook trout I've ever caught were up your way.
1 ... 121314151617