155 messages Options
123456 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: $147 Million Proposed for ORDA Upgrades

TheGreatAbyss
Saratogahalfday wrote
Huh?  Where are the athletes, media, and fans going to stay in LP?  Where are they going to fly into?  Albany?    
Okay fine, build a few new hotels in LP, but otherwise why not?  Between Albany, Lake George, and Lake Placid itself there are enough rooms and venues.  Almost none of the Winter Olympics are entirely held in their host cities, the skiing in the Beijing games are going to be like 200 miles away.  

Again - Think smaller.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Great movie!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I shit you not, I just watched it for the first time in the last 20 or so years two days ago.

Weird you used that word.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
TheGreatAbyss wrote
Saratogahalfday wrote
Huh?  Where are the athletes, media, and fans going to stay in LP?  Where are they going to fly into?  Albany?    
Okay fine, build......
Maybe the State needs a new prison, again?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I shit you not, I just watched it for the first time in the last 20 or so years two days ago.

Weird you used that word.

Too  funny!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by endoftheline
Bring back Big Tupper with some help from the state.
That's a great idea
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So take tax dollars to get a mediocre ski area up and running so a real estate developer can make a bunch of money?

F that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Seems like LP already has all the money. I say save Big Tupper as well and help Gore with more snowmaking. North Creek will never be LP. NC would fare better if it was on a motor boat lake.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowBound
Spend $2,000,000 at Midstation most patrons are going to say "something looks different here I think".  Bringing Big Tupper back from the dead is going to have an impact.  If the State forced the issue, could pick it up at a tax auction for next to nothing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd sooner see 3 million give to each ski area in NYS that  isn't owned by the state or mega Corp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I like it. Hey the state built it for the Olympics they are doing the smart thing maintaining it. Every one of you have come and enjoyed the venues. What would you guys suggest let them run themselves into the ground and have a great Adirondack ghost town.
So, by saying that, are you acknowledging that Lake Placid, and, by extension, a major portion of the ADK, would be a "ghost town" if it wasn't for massive state budget expenitures?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote

What North Creek needs is private, commercial development, on top of what little economic development money they (and other North Country towns) get from the State.  I don’t do family weekends at Gore.  Not because Gore isn’t great, or because the State hasn’t invested in the ORDA asset....but because there are no hotels or resorts my wife would want to spend time at, and the town doesn’t have much to offer.  You can’t expect the State to fix that, can you, especially with dollars earmarked for ORDA facilities?
I was told by a NC local that they are lacking sewage treatment for a large hotel and developers are unwilling to foot the bill themselves. I cannot vouch for this statement, only that someone that seemed knowledgable made it. And I have no idea how it relates to the ski bowl "development" other than the ski bowl hasn't been developed.

tom
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I love the idea of bringing Tupper back.  I’ve always felt it got killed once the Gondis went in at WF and Gore

My guess is $20m and becoming part of the Orda pass would bring it back in a big way.  

It would help Tupper tremendously and also impact SL

Clarkson and StL could move their training there and save a lot of driving

It also has more green and blue terrain which would benefit Orda since WF is really not that well suited to the low intermediate skier market
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Z wrote
I love the idea of bringing Tupper back.  I’ve always felt it got killed once the Gondis went in at WF and Gore
Why do you keep repeating this bullshyt about gondolas? It has been explained to you over and over and over and over and over and over. Big Tupper went bankrupt in August 1992, long before Gore and WF got the new gondolas.
Bankruptcy
Z wrote
My guess is $20m and becoming part of the Orda pass would bring it back in a big way.
Bring what back? It is a boring 650 vertical ski area that has 25 trails in the middle of nowhere not in a powder belt.

Z wrote
It would help Tupper tremendously and also impact SL
Nobody is going to Big Tupper to ski anymore. It is over.

Z wrote
Clarkson and StL could move their training there and save a lot of driving
Then let them buy it - which they won't because they are smart about money.

Z wrote
It also has more green and blue terrain which would benefit Orda since WF is really not that well suited to the low intermediate skier market
Laughable - i guess you forgot about Gore? Go ski the Sunway double chair at Gore all day if you need a Big Tupper experience.

Big Tupper is done.

Same thread from 2016 with more detail
https://forum.nyskiblog.com/ACR-Back-in-the-news-ADE-8-11-and-8-12-tp4085767p4090103.html
Another thread with the same info from July 30, 2019
https://forum.nyskiblog.com/Big-Tupper-Prospects-Looking-Bleak-tp4151459p4152053.html

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Take a look at Indian lake. It would be a 1%rs Paradise.
You think Saratoga is where it is without public money.
What are you getting at?
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
'All the capex in the world if you can’t even blow snow on your signature trail Skyward does skiers no good.'

This is the major issue with money getting sent to the mountains in the form it is coming.  And at least at Belle where significant capital improvements are going in, it seems to be coming with a mandate to cut operating expenses.  

It doesn't make sense to mandate investments in x and only x; less sense to then say you have to cut on 'services' like employees and volunteers such as patrollers.  

Of course, if this money is getting sent, I will still take the benefit of it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by tjf1967
I also think the “ghost town” comment may have had less to do with what LP would have been had the State/Feds not pumped money into the Olympics back in the 70s (i.e still an integral part of the Tri-Lakes region but something closer to the town of Tupper Lake economically speaking, with higher unemployment and poverty rates?).......than with what LP would become if all the infrastructure and facilities that were put in place for the Olympics were left to rot, became obsolete, and were no longer used.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That happens in other places.

I think Sarajevo was bombed, a total loss.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Photos from after the sarin Sarajevo:

https://www.businessinsider.com/winter-olympics-abandoned-venues-sarajevo-bosnia-2018-2#from-2000-to-2006-local-officials-overhauled-the-larger-skenderija-hall-as-well-today-it-attracts-around-500000-visitors-each-year-19

And a 2011 article in Outside Magazine, worth a read about attempts to revive snow sport in Sarajevo:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1908906/bombing-sarajevo

A former colleague was 12 at the time the war started.  She recalled playing outdoors one day, feeling light as a feather and that all was right with the world.  The next day her house got bombed into rubble.
123456 ... 8