classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
258 messages Options
123456 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ADK BC conditions

PeeTex
I'll keep that in mind. A sawzall is one of the few things not in my arsenal.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I really dig those pruning saws. I can't find the exact one, but if you can get one with a curve in the blade (like a J), it makes quick work of limbs up to 4". Busted what had been great loppers at Plattekill, and I'm going to just replace it with something simple like that.

similar: http://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-7265-Folding-Pruning/dp/B001RD7LRO
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Marcy was wicked today, 60 mph winds and a icy snow pack.
Marcy... nice!  Were you on top before the clouds moved in?  We were looking at Marcy and the High Peaks from the gondi at Gore, looked like a beautiful day up there until around 1pm-ish.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I really dig those pruning saws. I can't find the exact one, but if you can get one with a curve in the blade (like a J), it makes quick work of limbs up to 4". Busted what had been great loppers at Plattekill, and I'm going to just replace it with something simple like that.

those folding saws work great - I throw one in the pack for mtb cleanup in the spring. I guess a sawzall would work ok (especially if you need to be on the dl) but a power pole pruner is the real deal for when theres too much to hand saw and a chain saw's not necessary- vroooom!

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
PeeTex wrote
Marcy was wicked today, 60 mph winds and a icy snow pack.
Marcy... nice!  Were you on top before the clouds moved in?  We were looking at Marcy and the High Peaks from the gondi at Gore, looked like a beautiful day up there until around 1pm-ish.
I was there early, summited about 10:30AM.
I ran across this video from a guy who was up after I was. The krummholz was getting covered, but I suspect it all got burned off after the warm spell.

http://vimeo.com/112687355
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote

My folding saw looks pretty close to that one. It works great. I have a pair of fiscars lopers with fiberglass handles that seem indestructible. I also have a folding bow saw but I rarely use it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
ml242 wrote

those folding saws work great - I throw one in the pack for mtb cleanup in the spring. I guess a sawzall would work ok (especially if you need to be on the dl) but a power pole pruner is the real deal for when theres too much to hand saw and a chain saw's not necessary- vroooom!

I got one of those. They are slick! Really, really fast for cutting up a downed tree top and de-limbing the trunk. Had a few to dice up at my house. Brush draggers can't keep up.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Took a stroll into the woods today, I think we are close. There is about a 6" base of frozen granular with a 1" crust layer on top. Granted this is at lower elevation, I did not have the time to hike high today - about 2500'. If we get the snow predicted for this week then I would say that they should be in play for a run or two. Watch out for those usual spots under large conifers, they are very shallow. I cleared a little bit of blow down from the ice, but there really wasn't much and no tools required.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PeeTex wrote
There is about a 6" base of frozen granular with a 1" crust layer on top.
I can't wait to get into our woods this weekend.  I'm thinkin the Rossis and the T4 will be a blast.

With that kind of a bomber base, if the storm stays frozen, starting wet and going fluffier, who knows... Raymond Brook?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
PeeTex wrote
There is about a 6" base of frozen granular with a 1" crust layer on top.
I can't wait to get into our woods this weekend.  I'm thinkin the Rossis and the T4 will be a blast.

With that kind of a bomber base, if the storm stays frozen, starting wet and going fluffier, who knows... Raymond Brook?
Raymond brook might be a nice tour, I am thinking camp Santanoni or a stroll up to flowed lands with a couple of passes down a few glades just to pack things down a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Oh baby, we got woods
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
What a wonderful day in the woods. In some places there was a little crust but mostly just great skiing. The snow is deep, maybe 3' in spots. I hucked a small drop an lost a ski, it felt like swimming to get back to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Quit holding out on us and post a photo!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Maybe Tomorrow. Since I am solo I can't post the requisite face shot. All I can post is the standard bunch of trees and snow, if that's what you want - I'll take a few.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree the woods are sweet at 2000. Kick and gliiiide.

Apparently Eddy The Sherpa came by to break trail and I was second which was very nice.

No pics tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Maybe Tomorrow. Since I am solo I can't post the requisite face shot. All I can post is the standard bunch of trees and snow, if that's what you want - I'll take a few.
Face shot?  Nah, you know what we like: stuff (skis, pack) leaning against other stuff (tree, boulder).

Glad you guys found good woods.  I went out last night with my headlamp after the kiddies went to bed and the woods around here (Saratoga) are almost unrecognizable right now with blowdown and trees bent over with snow & pinned to the ground.  I literally could not even find one of my trails.   We need a couple above-freezing afternoons (which we may get) to get the trees to shed their snow and spring back up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Raymond Brook was so nice...

Every thing above ~2000 feet here is really deep enough to do almost anything.  Top of Raymond Brook was very deep.

Nice turny snow that remain at this moment, unmanked.

Nice day.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harvey wrote
Raymond Brook was so nice...

Every above 2000 feet here is really deep enough to do almost anything.  Top of Raymond Brook was very deep.

Nice turny snow that remain at this moment, unmanked.

Nice day.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Looks really great, Harv...... Raymond Brook,,,,,, sounds like you and PT should ski together real soon. Would be an awesome TR.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Today I visited my private glade, I checked it out after our early storm and had not been back since.
About a 1/2 mile skin up an old logging road to the glade entrance. In the last 1/4 mile or so I started encountering obstacles.

A little blow down and a lot of hangers. I was traveling light, no pack, no saw so I just had to muddle through.
As I was getting near the entrance it was getting real thick, I knew I would have to go back to the house and get the folding saw, but I could still bushwhack through for now.

Finally I got to the entrance, a beautiful spot. However I could tell that the skiing was not going to be great, the snow had settled and was manky, you could see my boot back line from a when I was here before - powder was all gone.

Well I was here, so I skinned up anyway, clearing any down branches and hangers.

Once at the top of the ridge line it was time to (de)skin the lizards and ski back down.

The glade is in good shape now, just need another dump.

I skied back down, went back in the house and got the folding saw, hiked back to the fire road and cleared the trail.
It's passable now.

I good morning in the woods. Wish I had grabbed that glade a  day or two ago before it got manky, I am pretty beat from two days of hard skiing and my morning in the woods, time for lunch and an afternoon nap.

(Pictures for you Jeff)
123456 ... 13