258 messages Options
12345678 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BC Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
If I remember correctly, if you are going to skin you have to make one pass across from left to right, then you can hug the right side.

Booting has the advantage that the vert isn't that great so you aren't dealing with skins for a short climb on repeated attempts.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ONETRACKA
ONETRACKA wrote
 I have seen it with wide skin track going all the way across before, and thought that was kind of lame.
That is
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Boy... not that much snow here at 1900 in North River.  But it looks very skiable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
As I suspected, thin but totally doable.

Saving this for when I can see it and maximize the enjoy..

Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
This post was updated on .
Skied a slide in the high peaks yesterday. Conditions were stellar above 3500 feet with a foot of fresh powder from last Sunday. Down low things are still a bit bony, I think another 8-12 inch dump would put a lot of new terrain into play, or at least make it much more comfortable. Somehow I made it down with only minor, cosmetic scratches on my skis.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice tracks jj!

More like back yard vs backcountry for us today...

Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Central Adks delivered again today. Cold, but very fun skiing in 6'' of fresh powder.
Reply | Threaded
|

ONETRACKA
This post was updated on .
Heads up! I Heard from a friend out ice climbing in the high peaks yesterday that, as could be expected, major instabilities are present in the snowpack. ~1" of well formed faceted snow was observed under the storm and wind deposited snow. They saw the faceted layers cause propagation of the new storm slab / loose snow on slopes as shallow as around 20 degrees! Some cracks shot to steeper aspects and they saw multiple small releases in their travels. He says he'd never seen anything like it before. :/      
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
What's up with that skin track?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ONETRACKA
Even here in CNY this was observed. We sent this ridge in 2 different spots that wouldn't have been fun if caught in it. The snow travel the length of what's seen here. That ridge is about 33 degrees. The snow was flying

Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
In reply to this post by skimore
We didn't set it, we were booting up the side when another skier came up behind us and set it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I was out skinning up to a nice glade in the HPs today, breaking fresh the whole way, hard going. I got to the top of the glade and went to pull my skins. I packed out a spot to stand on but when I tried to stand off my ski I sank up to my crotch. Finally got skins off and back on top of my skis, the run through the woods was as good as anything I have every had in western pow - light, dry - slow motion skiing. This is just unfreakin believable. I gotta think this is what it was like 50 years ago in the Daks.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
DeepDacks

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Twas cruising past Lewey Lake and noticed what appeared to be a decent sized slide. Saw 3 dudes working their way up there (i assumed that's where they were going), anyway it looked friggin sweet from the road. Any of you Dacky BC skiers ever hit it??? Was also wondering if that was a relativity new slide. It's been a while since I've driven thru that area but I don;t recall ever seeing it before.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Don't worry about it.  Nothing you'd want to ski anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Twas cruising past Lewey Lake and noticed what appeared to be a decent sized slide. Saw 3 dudes working their way up there (i assumed that's where they were going), anyway it looked friggin sweet from the road. Any of you Dacky BC skiers ever hit it??? Was also wondering if that was a relativity new slide. It's been a while since I've driven thru that area but I don;t recall ever seeing it before.
If you are referring to the one between Lake Lewey and Indian Lake off of 30, yes - many times. It goes by several names but I like to call it White Rabbit because that's what it looks like from the road.

Right now I would not be skiing any slides though, with the cold and wind there could easily be wind loaded slab over weak facets and that little gem has a convex shape - wait for spring corn or some event to consolidate the snow pack.

I have my eye on this bad boy, but I have yet to find a good route in.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PeeTex wrote
I have my eye on this bad boy, but I have yet to find a good route in.

My avatar shows you the way
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by PeeTex
the route

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The route down is apparent, the approach - not so. The best approach seems to be crossing the private land to get there and from what I have been told, the people who lease it are not too cooperative. The alternate involves a lot of bush whacking. It has been several years since I have attempted it so the approach may be much more apparent now if there is one or even if we are discussing the same stash.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
IIRC the state just bought a bunch of land in that area, not sure if it would make approaching from the bottom any easier but it's probably worth checking out. Awesome photos Skimore!
12345678 ... 13