classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
258 messages Options
1234567 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ADK BC conditions

Adk Jeff
Looks like a nice little private stash! Thanks for posting.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Spent Saturday in the High Peaks. Skied Wright Peak ski trail from about 4000 ft and then the Avy pass trail. Conditions are unreal up high, I would estimate about 3 feet where I turned around. Down low there were some rocks hiding, especially on the trail up to Wright. Hopefully the mini-warm up this week does not do too much damage.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24

Some pics
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Welcome. Nice photos and thanks for the report.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by jjp24
Great pics, love it up there. Wright has a lot of great places to ski.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
In reply to this post by Harvey
Thanks, looking to get up there this weekend again. Not sure how the conditions will be this time though...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This is a very nice thread..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
  We were flying coming down Avi pass trail and it was super bright!!
That's illegal now. You better leave it home

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3654954.shtml?cat=10114
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Woods skied fairly well in the High Peaks yesterday. A couple inches of powder over a firm crust. Unfortunately looks like most of it will be gone after this week :(. Looks like I'll be spending next weekend in the Gunks instead of skiing...
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It's pretty gruesome - lost a ton of snow and more to go before it turns cold. We had such a nice consolidated base, now we start all over.
Reply | Threaded
|

BC Conditions - 13th Lake

SteveSam
We were headed up to Peaked Mtn. Pond to check out the backcountry snow conditions when we ran into some high water on the brook and had to change our plans. We decided to take in the view from Little 13th Lake Mtn. The views were worth the hike. Not much trouble making our way directly back toward the car. Great afternoon out. There is a bit of snow left in the woods, but many spots of bare ground where the snow was melted out during the recent thaws. There was a lot of open water along the trail. We really need some cold weather to freeze things up and some more snow! It will take at least 6" inches of new snow to make the low angle terrain skiable and more than that for any steeps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: BC Conditions - 13th Lake

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the pics SteveSam, that's a favorite spot.

Water was so high the trail was impassible? I guess usually in spring, getting wet is not as big an issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have climbed Peaked Peak many times, although you can see 13th lake from the top, I don't recall it looking that close.  There is a survey marker on top but I suspect it was covered with snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Photo is not taken from the top of Peaked. It's Little 13th.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: BC Conditions

jjp24
Central Adks skied real nicely today...

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

ONETRACKA
Hi new here, first post! Ive been living and skiing in the ADKs for about 15 years. Great forums here, I hope to add some stoke.

Nice score jjp! Im sure one of the few spots where such snow can be found these days, awesome how you posted it up ;) Just wondering if you set a boot pack on the side of the slide or if you zig zagged the up with your skins on? To me boot packing would be more courteous and respectful of others who may follow. Just a thought.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
When we skied that spot we skinned and were most able to keep the skin track out of the way.  Snow was way deep and booting wasn't really practical.
Reply | Threaded
|

ONETRACKA
Sweet! Hope it looks that good tomorrow! I hope I didn't come across as accusatory, just thought it could be an interesting point for discussion. I have seen it with wide skin track going all the way across before, and thought that was kind of lame.  
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Hi Onetracka,

Under the 8-12 inches of fresh powder was mostly pure ice, so we were unable to get much purchase on the slide without really cutting across and using our edges. The snow was deep enough to make the ski down very fun, however. In retrospect, crampons and an ice ax with the skis on our backs probably would have been the way to go, with an ascent route up the side of the slide. Good luck tomorrow!
1234567 ... 13