Advice on a skinning set up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
91 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice on a skinning set up

PeeTex
Here is the type of terrain where poles tend to not be a help. Although in the Daks I find the need for an ice ax minimal, but having hand free in steep terrain is a must.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That's one of those guys that goes to get the cold Coors beer, right ?

2 please.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Guys, he is talking about skinning up a ski area, not climbing up a gully that is steeper than 45 degrees when an ax is essential.

The value of collapsible poles is that you can extend them out for touring and collapse them for the downhill. When I am skinning up, my poles are 20cm longer than when I am skiing down. Maybe folks that prefer their poles longer on the downhill may not notice the benefit but I ski with a rather short pole length so for me it is essential.

It isn't a necessity like skins and a releasable touring binding. But I can't imagine not having them.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
riverc0il wrote
Guys, he is talking about skinning up a ski area, not climbing up a gully that is steeper than 45 degrees when an ax is essential.
Correct - and for that any old ski pole will work. RA asked when you would carry your ski poles on your pack and I was responding to him not to the OP. If the OP want's to take his touring rig up Tucks or one of the numerous ADK slides, telescoping poles are really useful and from reading Z's posts, although not stated in the original post that is probably what the end game is. That was my point and I suspect it is yours as well.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Not planning any thing that would require an ice axe for sure.  Baby steps here for me
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Not planning any thing that would require an ice axe for sure.  Baby steps here for me
There are few places that you would really need one around us unless you were trying for something extreme. I own a couple but rarely ever use one, crampons yes - ice axe no. The primary use of a non-technical ice axe is not as an axe for climbing as it is not well suited for that, but as a self arrest device and for probing for avi danger. Unless you were trained in how to use one properly it is probably more dangerous to you than helpful.

Again - that is off topic anyway. If you want to start dawn patrols, just get a pair of Alpine trekkers and some skins that you can cut to fit the pair of alpine skis you want to use, cut the skins yourself, it's easy if you take a little care. You could be in business for a couple 100 bucks and BTW - I think you will find that you can get all this on pro-form since you are an instructor. You may even find the trekkers used on ebay. Here is a pair for $62: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCA-Backcountry-Access-Ski-Touring-Adapter-Alpine-Trekker-/121535950130?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Bindings_CV&hash=item1c4c1b6d32

Ski climbing is hard work for a single run or possibly two. It is more about the hike up and the adventure than the ride down, although the ride down can be epic.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Screw the trekkers. Start off doing it right, not 1/2 ass and you'll be infinitely happier. One time on those kludgy things and you'll want to throw them in the dumpster before the days over
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
skimore wrote
Screw the trekkers. Start off doing it right, not 1/2 ass and you'll be infinitely happier. One time on those kludgy things and you'll want to throw them in the dumpster before the days over
Normally I would agree with this but if all you were doing was skinning up a groomed or partially groomed ski trail where your track is pretty much straight line and you wanted to see if you liked the hike then $60 is A cheap experiment. If you were skinning in the BC, definitely no.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PeeTex wrote
and you wanted to see if you liked the hike then $60 is A cheap experiment.
Using those things isn't going to be a pleasant hike regardless of being at the resort or not.  They're heavy, clumsy and awkward as they put you high on the ski for skinning. Then you have to also stuff them in pack or something. They blow
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
endoftheline wrote
Coach Z wrote
It's going to be my 5th ski in my quiver

I'll likely use it also for lift serviced powder days and in the spring
I use the Fritchi Free ride set up for all my WF skiing on a pair of Salomon 1080s.  It is perfect on storm days, BD skins work great at accessing the upper Mtn as the lifts don't usually spin due to wind. I use the telescoping poles on those days, gives me better leverage on the climb. Just my 2 cents. One thing to consider is the max DIN only goes to 12, might be a concern for big guys, or maybe the newer versions have a higher setting, haven't checked.
The Fritchi Free Rides were the jam when they were first released but over time they became problematic for most people. They had lots of play in them after heavy use and they will even automatically change modes while skiing. That's not anything I'm interested in but as you said this may have changed. I don't pay much attention to the latest and greatest. Being a student I'm too poor to look at that stuff!
I've been on freerides for over a decade.   I learned from the first model to turn em up 2 din settings and from then on never experienced any of the above mentioned issues.  It's also important to pay attention to the toe piece to make sure the adjustment screw doesn't loosen.  But they are bomber.  

They never switch from tour mode when descending  and you do not have to step out of them to switch to tour mode.    My present pair have five seasons of WF skiing on them w/ zero issues.  I would say they hold up.  

These bindings eliminated the need for me to have an alpine binding.  I am going to their second year tech binding - the vipac (sp??)  w/ a light touring ski this season for my longer tours.  Chasing the younger dudes on their lighter gear over 12 plus mile/6-8000 vertical days is getting tougher...  I will miss the third up setting though for the steepest climbs......  You def get what u pay for.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Disagree on the newer Fritschi bindings. I have 2 pair of the newer Fritschi's, 1 Marker Duke and a Plum. I have tons of rounds on all but the Dukes. The Dukes are the ones I've had issues with and I barely use them. I even hammer my Fritschis at the resorts.........granted that's only on pow days
I hammer my fritschis on all kinds of WF days!!  When I see someone on Dukes I just shake my head.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
skimore wrote

hahahahahahhaha!  awesome!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
skimore wrote
PeeTex wrote
Using those things isn't going to be a pleasant hike regardless of being at the resort or not.  They're heavy, clumsy and awkward as they put you high on the ski for skinning. Then you have to also stuff them in pack or something. They blow

listen to this man.  he knows of what he speaks!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
skimore wrote
PeeTex wrote
Just like the bulk of Albine/AT bindings such as the Marker or Tyrollas are -bulky, heavy and high. What you are arguing for are tech bindings like the Dynafit TLTs or Fritschi Vipecs, and AT boots, new skis and the associated mount, all of which can't be used with the existing Alpine gear. Oh, and you need to either throw the skins in the pack or eat them.

Now truth in advertising, when I made the switch I went whole hog, but I also made the commitment that I was going to avoid buying a lift ticket as much as I could, not for the money, but for health reasons.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
the freerides are lighter and stronger than all them non tech bindings you mentioned.  Yep,  freerides - the best option and all other bindings are dumb.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
 Oh, and you need to either throw the skins in the pack or eat them.
Skins you can roll up and put one in each pocket
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
the freerides are lighter and stronger than all them non tech bindings you mentioned.  Yep,  freerides - the best option and all other bindings are dumb.
Dynafit TLT speed Radical: 1.5 lbs
Fritschi Freeride Pro: 4.5lbs
There fucking tanks

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
reading comprehension bro, reading comprehension...  the radical racer (yo dude Im a radical racer) are tech bindings....  I was not comparing the freerides to tech but to other non tech AT.

And I really do not care cause I will use what works best and everyone else can do whatever they want!!!!!!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote

And I really do not care cause I will use what works best and everyone else can do whatever they want!!!!!!  
Welcome back, bro

Where the hell youz been
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
skiing
I ride with Crazy Horse!