classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
91 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice on a skinning set up

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
reading comprehension bro, reading comprehension...  the radical racer (yo dude Im a radical racer) are tech bindings....  I was not comparing the freerides to tech but to other non tech AT.

And I really do not care cause I will use what works best and everyone else can do whatever they want!!!!!!  
And I suggest you read what I wrote as I did mention tech bindings as the way to go if you want to go light and be flat on the ski. You may be slow in keeping up with the discussion but the arguments against a trial ballon like the Trekkers was they put you high and they are heavy. If these are the concern then you go tech.

Look, I am not a trekker fan, but I would hate to see someone spend a shit pile of money on a trial. Maybe the answer to this silly debate is to go rent or borrow some stuff and try it a few times, then decide what to buy.

And on the freerides, if the work for you - great. For me, I don't want to tour or do climbing in an Alpine boot, I want a boot more like a hard shell mountaineering boot so I don't need Alpine boot compatibility in a binding, that then allows me to go Tele or tech.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
PeeTex wrote
 Oh, and you need to either throw the skins in the pack or eat them.
Skins you can roll up and put one in each pocket
I like to fold mine and stuff inside my coat to keep warm.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
me too
and working
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
And on the freerides, if the work for you - great. For me, I don't want to tour or do climbing in an Alpine boot, I want a boot more like a hard shell mountaineering boot so I don't need Alpine boot compatibility in a binding, that then allows me to go Tele or tech.

I ski very fast on the downhill so the AT boot is essential.  And my reading comprehension is correct, you are too fast on the keyboard.  10 fingers 2 eyes, if you know what I mean.   ahahahahahahhahaha

And I DO NOT CARE!  Cause my real name is Pierre!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have tried skins in the pocket, skins in the coat, even skins around the waist. None of this felt comfortable, I got enough junk in the trunk...
I've got a pack for my down hill layer anyway, the skins go off and in the pack, the fleece or down layer and helmet comes out and goes on and down we go.

All this hoopla may be because I don't skin up on resort and I am making assumptions about the needs of you guys that do.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
clarification:

If our plan is multiple slides or windhold day at WF and I know I will be yo-yoing, I will put skins in coat to make sure they stick.  If it's dawn patrol one lap or we're heading out then yes the skins obvi go in backpack.....

and PeeTex skinning the "resort" is training for the big boy trips.  And because I am fortunate to live in the right place so I can get laps in during the week and still be on time for work.  So, don't get all I'm BC ALL THE WAY DUDE on me!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
And who's the one with the attitude? I don't give a shit where you go or what equipment you ski. We each have our reasons for our choices. Just because we don't make the same choices doesn't mean one of us is right and the other wrong. So don't give me the "I ski the WF slides BS", it impresses no one.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
You two chillax would you.  You guys are both hard core in my book - no need to be measuring our peters here.

I appreciate everyones input here.  I think Scotty has a better feel for what I'm looking for here but I appreciate PeeTex's input as well.  Its a more hard core than I am though which is fine.

Turns out that Elan has a new cross over binding with a walk mode. Not sure if they are making it or private labeling it.  Their alpine bindings are made for them by Tyrolia.

Anyone recognize this one?

http://www.elanskis.com/us/binds.html

Works out that I can get these for compared to an alpine binding for less than the cost of a pair of alpine trekers.  Just need to add skins at that point.  Looks like this would meet my needs pretty well even if it just ride lifts with them most of the time.

Final advice i need is how wide to go on the ski 95mm or 105mm.  Besides added weight does it make a difference when skinning.  Also deciding between 180 and 187 cm length
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Just get whatever ski you'd enjoy on the way down, in the same dimensions as you usually like to ski, throw those bindings on them (those Elan branded things look like Tyrolia Adrenalins), and buy skins. Then go out and do it. You could spend time weight weenie-ing (just like people do for bike stuff), but if you're doing it for excercise and not speed, then a few extra ounces (or even pounds) don't matter.

Everyone is making this very complicated. You're walking up a hill and skiing down.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
raisingarizona wrote
endoftheline wrote
Coach Z wrote
It's going to be my 5th ski in my quiver

I'll likely use it also for lift serviced powder days and in the spring
I use the Fritchi Free ride set up for all my WF skiing on a pair of Salomon 1080s.  It is perfect on storm days, BD skins work great at accessing the upper Mtn as the lifts don't usually spin due to wind. I use the telescoping poles on those days, gives me better leverage on the climb. Just my 2 cents. One thing to consider is the max DIN only goes to 12, might be a concern for big guys, or maybe the newer versions have a higher setting, haven't checked.
The Fritchi Free Rides were the jam when they were first released but over time they became problematic for most people. They had lots of play in them after heavy use and they will even automatically change modes while skiing. That's not anything I'm interested in but as you said this may have changed. I don't pay much attention to the latest and greatest. Being a student I'm too poor to look at that stuff!
I've been on freerides for over a decade.   I learned from the first model to turn em up 2 din settings and from then on never experienced any of the above mentioned issues.  It's also important to pay attention to the toe piece to make sure the adjustment screw doesn't loosen.  But they are bomber.  

They never switch from tour mode when descending  and you do not have to step out of them to switch to tour mode.    My present pair have five seasons of WF skiing on them w/ zero issues.  I would say they hold up.  

These bindings eliminated the need for me to have an alpine binding.  I am going to their second year tech binding - the vipac (sp??)  w/ a light touring ski this season for my longer tours.  Chasing the younger dudes on their lighter gear over 12 plus mile/6-8000 vertical days is getting tougher...  I will miss the third up setting though for the steepest climbs......  You def get what u pay for.
Scotty, Ditto, I've been on my freerides for 7 seasons, never swithched modes, no play in them, no issues whatsoever and I've covered every bit of the terrain. I do agree that the DIN needs to be bumped up by a couple notches. I have never pre released and they have released when they should have.  
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
skimore wrote
 I have 2 pair of the newer Fritschi's, 1 Marker Duke and a Plum.
This is my first season Plum Mountaineers.  I have had no issue with binding performance, but I don't like using the retention chords.  Are you using brakes on your Plum setup?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Since that is what they are calling them I'd say they are the Tyrolias

Thanks Matt
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
And who's the one with the attitude? I don't give a shit where you go or what equipment you ski. We each have our reasons for our choices. Just because we don't make the same choices doesn't mean one of us is right and the other wrong. So don't give me the "I ski the WF slides BS", it impresses no one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  

Point of clarification:

I was not referring to WF slides.  Although given their aspect/pitch they do hold some great snow.....  But no, multiple slide days was not a reference to lift lapping the WF slides...  

And you def care way more about this than I do.  That is readily apparent given the ferocity  of your arguments.  I mean you are so quick to respond  you are unable to accurately comprehend my statements.      
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
1. When climbing steep couliors I usually just let my poles hang off the my wrists. If you need to put them on your pack they fit just fine right along your skis. I don't know about you but my skis are much longer than my poles.

2. How often in NY are you roping up and using an ice axe with skis on your pack?

3. As far as Fritchis go the ones my friends had were first or second generation. Those problems really happened. Hopefully and it's likely they have been fixed.

4. I have climbed up a shit ton of couliors and I have never used an ice axe. It wasn't always the smartest thing ever though.

5. Whatever works for ya is good. It's just climbing up hills to slide down them, it's not really that serious.

6. Off topic but in my 31 years of skiing I have never had or seen an injury related to wearing pole straps. This new trend of not wearing em is weird. What's even weirder is that sign I saw requiring people skiing glades to not wear them. wtf?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
raisingarizona wrote
What's even weirder is that sign I saw requiring people skiing glades to not wear them. wtf?
I think it is a recommendation, not a requirement.  

I had my shoulder yanked once by a pole strap. Still I rarely remove them. And I ski alone in the trees when necessary.

Then again I also run with scissors.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I had 2005 vintage Freerides and had problems with them. I suspect the newer models are probably significantly better. Though I still thinking going with an apline binding company's duel use binding is Coach's best option.

Regarding the pole straps, I never wear mine ever except for skinning. If I go down, I don't want my pole attached to me. If a tree impact happens just so with a strap, it can get stuck and jerk your arm really bad, maybe even causing a crash. I don't see any benefit to pole straps unless you are concerned about losing your poles in crash. But in a crash, I am more concerned with my poles being attached to my body, that is far worse than digging out a pole, IMO.

We probably need a different thread for all of these pole topics. Who thought such a simple piece of equipment could be so divisive?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
 What's even weirder is that sign I saw requiring people skiing glades to not wear them. wtf?
I dislocated a shoulder getting a pole stuck between 2 trees because the strap was on
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by nepa
Brakes weren't an option when I purchased them. I threw away the cords that came with them

Took a short piece of coil cord and attach to one of these. Last year ditched those after they stretched out a bit and use nothing now

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by riverc0il
I think there is a performance benefit to using straps. It gives you more support and snap to your pole plant. Also with skiing powder or serious steeps losing gear isn't really an option, or I have never considered it as one.

But again, I'm not trying to say what you are doing is bad, it's just a different angle. I don't care to get into an internet dick sizing contest. So I hope my posts don't come off like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
skimore wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I dislocated a shoulder getting a pole stuck between 2 trees because the strap was on
Ya that makes sense. My current poles have releasable straps. They have never released on me which is good but I think an incident like that they would.