Advice on a skinning set up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
91 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice on a skinning set up

ml242
I take my pole straps off now while skiing the woods after catching a basket on a tree in.... Colorado.

No one wants to help buy friend out and buy her three section touring poles? Mine are only two section, so if you buy them you will be a far better internet skier than i am. Approximately 50% better.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
coach i hope you don't mind me attaching to this post but it seem to make sense . i'm looking to try  back country skiing. i would like something that can be used aggressively on the downhill , will not be getting big air. i came across this set up on craigslist and was wondering what others thought?  the price looks good.
https://albany.craigslist.org/spo/4856132832.html
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Looks at little narrow underfoot for going after powder. Also seems a little pricey for something made by Amanda
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by sig
Grab an used AT binding and put them on what ever ski you like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fritschi-Diamir-Freeride-alpine-touring-bindings-size-medium-/281560827304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418e5545a8

These are missing a brake, but who cares. I have a setup with no brakes
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by sig
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Got my skis in

Getting them mounted tommorrow

Just need to get skins now
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'd pass on those, sig. You can get a setup like that for less. The rebranded naxos don't have a good reputation and no replacement parts. People do like them, but new they were selling for $100 at the end. A c-note would probably be a fair price for the setup, but you'd still have some skis that were pretty narrow on some bindings that could leave you up the creek.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
thanks for the info. i currently downhill on 163 cm, yes they are adult skies. should i go
longer on the AT's?  does longer help with the climb?
thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Z
Skins you really don't get much of a deal on.  I just go to High Peaks and have them do it.  170 bucks. G-3.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
tjf1967 wrote
Skins you really don't get much of a deal on.  I just go to High Peaks and have them do it.  170 bucks. G-3.
http://gearx.com/black-diamond-glidelite-mohair-mix-std-blem

$90

http://gearx.com/black-diamond-ascension-nylon-sts-skins-blem-1

$110
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
You are getting hosed if you are buying skins at $170. My last pair of skins was the Backcountry.com version of the G3 130mm-Long which I got at $103.96, ordered in May 2014. Wait for a sale and hunt around for a coupon. I wouldn't ever pay more than $120 for a pair of skins unless in an emergency.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
riverc0il wrote
tjf1967 wrote
You are getting hosed if you are buying skins at $170. My last pair of skins was the Backcountry.com version of the G3 130mm-Long which I got at $103.96, ordered in May 2014. Wait for a sale and hunt around for a coupon. I wouldn't ever pay more than $120 for a pair of skins unless in an emergency.
I would be surprised if he couldn't get a pro discount on skins being an instructor.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
I would be surprised if he couldn't get a pro discount on skins being an instructor.
You can get deals on skins, but I've found the "cheap pair off of backcountry.com" method is usually a better plan (free shipping, cheaper, good return policy if you need it).

I like supporting local businesses, but not at a 100% markup. I usually wait for a sale at backcountry and pick up skins for $80-$95. Remember to use one of Harv's links to help the NY ski blog out.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
tjf1967 wrote
I applaud TJ for supporting a local ski shop

I do my best to do the same thing
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It is January and the reality is 170 for those skins is not that overpriced.  Yeah I could have got them off the internet for 130 bucks or so but I would have had to cut them and waited.  High Peaks I could have gotten a discount but I am not going to beg for a 20% discount, they have the high end gear but you pay for it.  I use them for binding and skins.   When I buy boots and other equipment I go to Lake Placid Ski and Board.  When it comes to tuning equipment and bikes I go to planet placid.  EMS gets a decent chunk of business up here as well.  When you are buying the newest equipment  discounts are few and far between.  As far is pro form on skins good luck.   I could have probably got them through the organization I am involved with it is a hassle.  

For the most part people get great deals for a reason. The stuff is second rate and no one wanted them.  I know there is a market for that stuff but im not that customer.

Its nice walking in and everyone know your name.  They have become friends.  When I am in a pickle they push me to the front and always take care of me.  

Those shop listed above I would recommend to anyone up in LP looking for equipment.  

Hosed may be but I don't spend my life looking for the best deal, I look for a fair price for the service I expect.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
tjf1967 wrote
I look for a fair price for the service I expect.

me too!  

I've been loyal to the Mountaineer in KV since I've been up here and its worked out great!  

I've always felt if you're bragging about how little you paid for something, you must be over compensating for something else.....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I like to get a deal.  I will buy stuff at the end of the season or last years model because the newest graphic doesn't matter to me.  I don't have boat loads of money.  So what exactly would I be overcompensating for? As far as I'm concerned, saving money is making money.  I'm  sure that won't go over well with the elitist crowd here.  But, money saved means more money for gas, lodging and cool trips like the one I had the other day.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I've been loyal to the Mountaineer in KV since I've been up here and its worked out great!  

I've always felt if you're bragging about how little you paid for something, you must be over compensating for something else.....  
I just like spending less on things and saving money for other stuff (trips, gear, early retirement). I always thought it was the people who were spending on flashy cars and watches that were overcompensating, not the ones trying to save a buck.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I frequent the Mountaineer a lot as well, it's a bit out of my way but it's my go to store mostly because the staff knows what the F their talking about.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Hosed may be but I don't spend my life looking for the best deal, I look for a fair price for the service I expect.
That is fair. But $170 for skins is overpriced. You got service with guys that know your name and that is a great and valid argument. But you can't argue that is a fair price. You are paying to support the local shop and get service which is cool. I personally cut my own skins and don't get enough service from my local shop to justify a 40% premium over the best price online. That said, I think you should reframe your argument as "support local and get service" rather than "get them for $170 at the shop, it is a fair price."