classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
91 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice on a skinning set up

ScottyJack
mattchuck2 wrote
I just like spending less on things and saving money for other stuff (trips, gear, early retirement). I always thought it was the people who were spending on flashy cars and watches that were overcompensating, not the ones trying to save a buck.
Yes I agree, they are def overcompensating too!!  

A friend opened a new shop in town this season and he is sticking his neck out there... So, guys in Wilmington for the most part are purchasing parts and getting tunes to help build up his base.  It's great having a shop in town!  It's great going in there after a PMD run and getting a broken derailleur fixed before the shuttle heads back up!!  And that happens for the guys who buy their parts there.  Now this one guy, we'll call him Cooter, he buys all his parts online and them goes to the shop and expects a deal on service!!!  that's not how it works!!!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL.

I was blown away and very pumped to see our local nordic shop in North River ( garnet-hill.com ) carrying some sweet XCD gear, Scarpa T4s (full line of sizes), Rossi BCs and Rotte R8 bindings.

I kinda wanted the Chargers but bought T4s and the Rossis from them to represent.

I actually went with the Voile Switchbacks for the tour mode, that I bought online.  Shoulda went with the full setup including bindings ... seems like the Voiles come out of center alignment from spring rotation.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Harvey wrote
... seems like the Voiles come out of center alignment from spring rotation.
?????  More detail please, Harv...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Telemark Dave wrote
Harvey wrote
Something about my boots or the way I ski?

Take your switchbacks or any springloaded binging and rotate both cartridges in the same direction.  The bale/clip thing will move off center over to the side. That happens to me after maybe 30 mins of skiing.

I'm sure if I actually used tour mode it probably wouldn't. Cue Shaman.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
In reply to this post by Z
Coach, since you are PSIA, go to the BCA site on the PSIA page and get skins from them.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Harvey wrote
Something about my boots or the way I ski?

Take your switchbacks or any springloaded binging and rotate both cartridges in the same direction.  The bale/clip thing will move off center over to the side. That happens to me after maybe 30 mins of skiing.

I'm sure if I actually used tour mode it probably wouldn't. Cue Shaman.
Loctite will fix that for you.  They must be pretty loose!  I've been using spring cartridge bindings (G3/Rotte/Voile) since they first came out, and I've never had that Issue ever... Actually the opposite.  Mine all seem to end up seized - corroded threads, etc.  I grease the threads now, and I still don't have problems with the heel lever moving off centre.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skied maybe 1/2 mile:

Maybe that's why I don't need tour mode. My binding is so loose anyway?
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by ml242
Here's a telescopic pole with breakaway straps.. No retrofitting necessary - from the wisdom of Salomon ... Item 4 in the link.
http://backcountrymagazine.com/gear/gear-preview-2015-outdoor-retailer-highlights-part-2/
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Skied maybe 1/2 mile:

Maybe that's why I don't need tour mode. My binding is so loose anyway?
... Wow.   Must be those Flat 7's your throwing off the natural booters in the woods Harv.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Love my new skis after my first day them at Snowbird.  No powder to ski but some nice bumps.  They handled both groomers and off piste well.  Super light too.

I had concerns about the binding after some comments here but I couldn't tell the difference.  They claim this adrenaline binding floats to prevent the hard spot and based on skiing it I agree.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
coach when you skin in that boot i would like to know your thoughts. i walked around the shop with a Scarpa
Freedom SL on. felt good but where i am coming from anything would feel better