classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
734 messages Options
1 ... 3334353637
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

Brownski
Visiting Binghamton today. Greek got a mention while the speaker was discussing the non academic aspects of the area.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What is Binghamton like?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Big
Edit- the college, not the town
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Brownski wrote
Big
Edit- the college, not the town
Not as big as Buffalo
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Bearcats
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
great school and it's cheap..

perfect combo
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
My son got into the Binghampton and Geneseo. He liked Geneseo better and went to Geneseo. At the time, Bing was about $4k more per year. Both are excellent choices.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
great school and it's cheap..

perfect combo
Yes -Bing is a very good state school and if you are a NYS resident and qualify for the Excelsior scholarship than its a fantastic deal. My only issue with it is that the campus feels like a big high school and the town is frumpy.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BU is a good school. Buddy of ours has his son going there as a freshman this year. He seems to be liking it a lot. The kid is wicked smart too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
If he gets in, it’s Junior’s top pick now. We won’t qualify for the Excelsior program unfortunately but SUNY resident pricing gives them a big advantage over the private schools we’ve looked at
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Way to play ball Junior.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Nice work JR

Give em hell bud

Some nice restaurants in Bingo for you and Mrs Broski as well Broski
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Good choice !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Last Monday my son and I visited Clarkson
He is interested in their Engineering Management Program which is a combo of a me and biz degree
We met with the ski team coach to learn more about racing in college and that is a good fit as well.  He would not need to do a PG year to race at Clarkson which we both like.
It is his #1 choice

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
That’s great Z. My daughter looked hard at E&M at Clarkson. We made 3 trips over there. The students that they put forward from the program at the “accepted student day” were some of the most well spoken, thoughtful and funny kids we saw and heard on any college visit.

In the end, she decided on WPI because of how there are all sorts of options for study and projects abroad that are baked right into the curriculum. (Although Clarkson e&m requires an “international experience”, most students we talked to completed it over a spring break trip with the business school and she wanted something more immersive) She also is a kid who grew up in a small college town, so living in a more diverse place had some appeal too.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
CU is another very good quality school. Happy for your son Z

Like i said before 7 of us are UB grads BUT in addition we have beaucoup Clarkson types in the fam too. My bro ',  SIL and two others in his family went there .All have done exceedingly well, going on for advanced degrees and interesting professions .

When i was " in the H.E. business"  many of our ABET accredited Eng Techs , Elect techs , Mech  Techs , Civil Techs etc tranferred to CU after completing our AAS programs , so am quite familiar with CU

Many fine faculty there who are not only researchers BUT also very fine teachers . That is not always the case elsewhere where Grad assts. carry that load .

Nice environment  , so Z your boy cant go wrong there AND its relatively closeby for you guys
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Clarkson has a good rep but I have a real issue with their campus. You drive in the front and it’s beautiful and Adirondacky, you go around to the back and you see crumbling concrete. Lipstick on a pig was my impression.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by warp daddy
We’ll start visits for my younger son this summer.  He’s into Environmental Science and such, so I want to visit Clarkson.

We’ll also head up to SUNY ESF at Syracuse.  That wouldn’t be so good for skiing.  Nor would Geneseo, if he wants to go the Geological Science route...
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Hey Warp
How big a role did you play in the admissions process when you were working? What advice do you have about junior’s Essay for instance? What’s a good subject?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Touring the CU campus we found a mix of older concrete buildings and brand new buildings particularly the biz school and innovation center.  You can get to just about all the academic buildings without having to go outside while Chris good for the winter.  During the tour and interview they talked about the winters.  Must have had some issues with kids from cities not being able to deal with it.  No problem for a kid from the daks though.

They are upgrading the fitness facilities in a new addition for students which will allow the athletic programs to not have to share the existing weight room and facilities with the other students.  Looks like it’s going to pretty nice.  The ski team lifts 3 mornings a week and now does it really early morning but will be able to move that later once the new facilities open.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
1 ... 3334353637