classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
734 messages Options
1 ... 323334353637
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

JTG4eva!
My son wants to pursue a business degree, most interested in the Marketing field, more on the creative side than the data analytics side.  Not being interested in Accounting or Economics, Plattsburgh and Geneseo both offer a Business Administration major.  However, that’s really it for Geneseo, three business majors:  Accounting, Economics, and Business Administration.  While Geneseo does off a Marketing minor, Plattsburgh offers the following business majors that my son might be interested in:

Marketing
Entrepreneurship
Management
Supply Chain Management
Hospitality Management

And even more business majors he may not be interested in:

Finance
International Business
MIS
Music Arts Management.

In addition to more majors, Plattsburgh also offers a wider array of business minors.

Maybe it’s splitting hairs a little bit with Plattsburgh offering designated majors where Geneseo offers a related minor, and I know you can tailor your degree through choice of electives.....but Plattsburgh just offers more options, which I think is important for a student who isn’t exactly sure what he wants to do.

Beyond that, if my son decides the business degree route isn’t a fit for him, again Plattsburgh offers more options.  At Geneseo he could maybe go down the Communications route if he was looking for something different, but that’s probably it for him there.  At Plattsburgh he’d have that option, plus Audio-Radio Production, Journalism, Computer Science/Security, Digital Media, Expeditionary Studies, or Fitness/Wellness Leadership.  

So, it’s about options, especially for a somewhat undecided student, and Plattsburgh just seems to have more options that will allow him to find his fit.

With that backdrop, Plattsburgh has other pluses over Geneseo in the National Student Exchange program, and a location that is much more appealing to my son.  And then there is gut feel, and Plattsburgh feels more like “home” to him.  All that has Geneseo toward the bottom of his list of schools where he has been accepted.

We’d love to see one of our kids go to Geneseo because it’s my wife’s and my alma mater.  Maybe my younger son, who may be into Geology.  I have also been getting slightly concerned that Geneseo seems to be losing the edge it had as one of the better, more competitive SUNY schools.  It’s stats have been slipping of late it seems.  Then, I shared a gondola ride earlier this season with a Senior from Geneseo who is set to graduate this spring.  He indicated the School of Business (he’s a business major) is a mess, last year rehiring as dean a woman who had previously served in the position and been let go.  He also said that many of his friends are not exactly happy at Geneseo, with a number of them looking to transfer.  His advice to my son between the two was to choose Plattsburgh.  Sure, we aren’t going to let one unhappy Geneseo student dictate a decision, but it is another relevant data point.

Sorry for the long ass answer, but it’s helpful for me to lay it out, because my son has a big decision to make!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
What about Bing.. My friends kid grad with a business deg and got recruited by some very prestigious companies..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
In SUNY, Geneseo is Harvard, while Plattsburgh is...Plattsburgh.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, in SUNY......or at least Geneseo was.  As an alum I hope that is still the case, but stats are maybe down lately.  The thing is, and I say this as a SUNY Geneseo grad, the best SUNY school isn’t actually Harvard, or anything close.  A very good school, yes.  A very good education, without a doubt.  A great value, absolutely.  But I don’t think any SUNY school is going to wow prospective employers on pure reputation and name recognition.  I think what a SUNY grad is able to accomplish will be as much about the person, the breadth of experiences, the opportunities they’ve had and the things they’ve done, and how they can relate that to an employer.   I know very successful grads from both Geneseo and Plattsburgh.  In terms of selling the opportunities they offer, Plattsburgh did a better job, actually.  Geneseo came off a bit lazy on the tours.  Maybe they are relying too much on that reputation?  Also, Geneseo isn’t alone in the ranks of well respected SUNY schools anymore.  If we want to choose a SUNY with a stronger academic reputation my son will probably go with New Paltz, which has been on the rise.  Test scores and gpa requirements to get accepted to Geneseo and New Paltz are the same.  Numerous rankings of top business schools in New York include both schools, some with New Paltz higher.  Like Plattsburgh, New Paltz seems to offer more options.

It’s a difficult decision.  We have a lot of thinking to do.  Accepted seniors tours to attend....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
At least he is going to a SUNY.
We have written our last tuition payment..My kids are done!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JasonWx
From what I understand Bing is the best rated SUNY - at least according to various surveys.
Geneseo is number 2 and Stonybrook  is number 3.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
From our tour of WPI accepted student day:

This is not just important work, I believe it is interdisciplinary “gaperesearch”.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
What do we know about Buffalo? On our way to check it out tomorrow
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
I know 4 kids that have graduated from there in the past 2 yrs.
Good school and the kids enjoyed there time.

No real skiing tho..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
What do we know about Buffalo
They would kill us every year in hoops --- as did St. Bonny ---- LOL

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It’s flat there, it’s basically Ohio.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
You’re on target there. They even refer to soda as “pop”
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Seven in our family went to UB . In fact we have several with terminal degrees. UB is a  great academic school . my eldest grandson just finished his doctorate and passed his national licensure boards a week ago and is now on his way !

Skiing in the  immediate area   ...meh , but you are going to  be a productive working professional longer than you are going to be a pro skier 😉 And that will enable you to ski wherever you please .

Skiing is fun , but not the be all to end all.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
raisingarizona wrote
You’re on target there. They even refer to soda as “pop”
Beef on a Weck is good.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Seven in our family went to UB . In fact we have several with terminal degrees. UB is a  great academic school . my eldest grandson just finished his doctorate and passed his national licensure boards a week ago and is now on his way !

Skiing in the  immediate area   ...meh , but you are going to  be a productive working professional longer than you are going to be a pro skier 😉 And that will enable you to ski wherever you please .

Skiing is fun , but not the be all to end all.
True no doubt Warp but the thread is titled best colleges for skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
There are No colleges for skiing RA
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
warp daddy wrote
There are No colleges for skiing RA
A case could be made that the college/major with the highest earning potential would be best for skiing I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yup
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Nope.

The best education is the one that teaches you critical thinking and allows you to use that to develop your own values and to live in the world by them.  That college is not gonna steer you into being a hedge fund manager or a partner track associate in a sweat shop law firm. It might even lead you to give up skiing and spend your life surfing in Maui or hunting in Alaska.

mm  
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
1 ... 323334353637