1 ... 14151617181920 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
What’s the general situation in NH? How shut down are other businesses up there?
Cannon is done.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Harvey wrote
Brownski wrote
What’s the general situation in NH? How shut down are other businesses up there?
Cannon is done.
Cannon is closing at 4:00 today.

All restaurants are required to close or switch to takeaway/delivery.

Schools closed.

Our decisions have been about a couple days behind other states. Probably following their lead.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Waterville is done.

Waterville Valley wrote
Dear Waterville Valley Family,

Over the past week, Waterville Valley Resort has modified our operations to continue to responsibly provide a valuable outdoor recreation service in an effort to support our employees and the skiing community in search of joy and fun during this trying time. All CDC recommendations have been utilized and followed every step of the way. Our efforts have included moving seating outside with significant spacing, limiting indoor facility access to only bathrooms, maximizing cleaning procedures, eliminating lines and grouping on lifts, and closing rental and ski school operations as well as restaurant and bar outlets. Over the past few days our staff has been overwhelmed with the gratitude shown by our guests. Our team has made special focused efforts to find a way to share the open space and fresh air of the beautiful White Mountains with our visitors. The pursuit of enjoyment through outdoor recreation has a power on the soul that we could all use right now.

Despite these efforts, and despite the extremely limited personal contact inherent in our reduced operations, our continuing operations have been met with outcry by many who choose to misrepresent our efforts and have created an environment that has incited people to act irresponsibly to the point of becoming abusive and threatening to our staff. Therefore, regretfully, effective at 4:00pm today, Wednesday, March 18, 2020, Waterville Valley Resort will close for winter operations for the 2019/2020 ski season.

Thank you for the support and for a wonderful season.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
A little defensive there from WV.

Hopefully whoever was bullying their employees was cyber-bullying.

Bretton Woods also now listed as closed.

I did some nordic on the remaining snow and ice and mud for my noontime exercise. Last time on skis for 2019/20? Weird.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
About time NH finished getting with the program. Not surprised that Cannon and WV closed on the same day, seemed to me there might have been a connection keeping them both open.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
If closed ski resorts and personal COVID-19 risk tolerance weren’t enough to make you cancel existing reservation......the airlines seem to be a mess.  

I was going to cancel my JetBlue reservation anyway, but I had been holding off.  Today I was notified that the departures (on both ends) for my late April reservation to SLC had been pushed up by 9 hours.  That made it easier to cancel.

So, even if you still want to travel, schedules are being consolidated and flying could be a mess.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Greek Peak has opened a grocery store in the lobby of Hope Lake Lodge. What a great idea!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
If closed ski resorts and personal COVID-19 risk tolerance weren’t enough to make you cancel existing reservation......the airlines seem to be a mess.  

I was going to cancel my JetBlue reservation anyway, but I had been holding off.  Today I was notified that the departures (on both ends) for my late April reservation to SLC had been pushed up by 9 hours.  That made it easier to cancel.

So, even if you still want to travel, schedules are being consolidated and flying could be a mess.
I know someone who just flew Albuquerque to Baltimore by way of Houston on Wednesday. Five people on the first flight. Five. Houston airport felt "abandoned" (but she still scored a 20 dollar margarita). Nobody is flying. They may have to shut everything down just to stop hemorrhaging cash.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
They say they need 65 percent occupancy to make money.  Well Just cancel the flight...  I'm so glad they all set a up a rainy day fund over the past 10 years of overcrowding airplanes.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Local governments will have a big problem when the sales/hospitality tax revenue drys up.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Total piece of shit human beings
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
A little defensive there from WV.
With the steps they took, they're right.  Anyone who is skiing is not in the susceptible demographic.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
D.B. Cooper wrote
Anyone who is skiing is not in the susceptible demographic.
I may not be getting what you are trying to say.  Maybe you could clarify.

Are you are trying to say it’s okay for young, active, fit individuals to travel and interact (you saw the pictures of groups of people in close proximity) while skiing because they are not likely to get ill, suffer symptoms, and possibly die from the COVID-19 virus?

Please tell me that isn’t what you are implying.

Would you also say “Anyone who is on spring break in Daytona is not in the susceptible demographic”?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Local governments will have a big problem when the sales/hospitality tax revenue drys up.
The extreme example of that right now is Vegas.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
JTG4eva! wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
Anyone who is skiing is not in the susceptible demographic.
Are you are trying to say it’s okay for young, active, fit individuals to travel and interact (you saw the pictures of groups of people in close proximity) while skiing because they are not likely to get ill, suffer symptoms, and possibly die from the COVID-19 virus?

Please tell me that isn’t what you are implying.

Would you also say “Anyone who is on spring break in Daytona is not in the susceptible demographic”?
Given the reduced services that WV was talking about, I think it's reasonable that they - or any area - be open.  Probably with caps on number of skiers.  Destination skiers would be almost none.  There are enough businesses in my area that are still open that really don't need to be.

Daytona is different.  I think most going there are trying to be within the 6' radius.

The reason for the seclusion is to protect the vulnerable groups.  While it's a serious thing, it does affect older demographics more.....and older people vote.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
On a lighter note, this is pretty entertaining:

Self Isolation For Skiers | 10 Tips For Surviving Confinement
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Not everyone buys into social distancing.  For better or for worse, I get that.  

The idea that the young people moving through the community to stand in lift lines and ski (or party at Daytona Beach) is ok because they “aren’t susceptible” just seems to entirely miss the point, IMHO.

As to protecting older groups, they aren’t the ones generally circulating through the community and catching the virus that way, most likely.  Young people who think they “aren’t susceptible” (that doesn’t mean they may not be a carrier), and that it’s ok to stand in a lift line (or party at Daytona Beach), probably don’t think twice about being in close proximity to mom and grandpa (or the susceptible 7-11 clerk where they bought their microwaveable burrito and filled up on gas) on their return.  That’s the real problem.  That kind of thinking is what may draw this pandemic out, if anything.

You disagree?  I’m still formulating opinions, not trying to be an a$$.

Even if one thinks the “pandemic” is “overblown”, is that a chance people should be taking?  Honestly, I really don’t know, but on the side of caution we are laying low.   Everyone in our household is home now, working from home or distance learning.  We could all easily do that from our place on the Cape, and we’d love to ride things out up there.....but doing so would just feel a little bit irresponsible to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Basically only one hospital on the cape in Hyannis , I could go up to my place in S Yarmouth , but not the best idea.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
The idea that the young people moving through the community to stand in lift lines and ski (or party at Daytona Beach) is ok because they “aren’t susceptible” just seems to entirely miss the point, IMHO.
Young people are susceptible to needing healthcare and hospitals.

Last time I checked they were also susceptible to economic meltdown.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
On a different slant. I know we are all here because we are skiers, east coast has  been a fair season at best for most of us. So how would you like to be a Tahoe skier, no snow basically since mid January and now they have had literally 10 FEET in the past week. Talk about torture. Checked out the Squaw website, 2 sets of fresh tracks down the Nose/Fingers on KT-22. Guess someone couldn't resist, employees or maybe patrollers?
1 ... 14151617181920 ... 30