classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

marznc
Alta has suspended operations, effective immediately.

Deer Valley and Solitude closed, as part of the decision to close all Alterra resorts.

No update yet for Brighton and Snowbird.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I think it’s safe to say that ski season is pretty much over. We haven’t heard anything yet from management here but they can’t be far behind.

Things are about to get crazy and really weird.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by marznc
We got out of dodge just in time.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
PeeTex wrote
Yep.  Have a local friend who flew to Denver today with his daughter for a father-daughter spring break ski trip.  One of the people I was skiing with at Alta in February.  No lift-served skiing for them. :-(
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
marznc wrote
PeeTex wrote
Yep.  Have a local friend who flew to Denver today with his daughter for a father-daughter spring break ski trip.  One of the people I was skiing with at Alta in February.  No lift-served skiing for them. :-(
Glad I left the staff a couple of C notes for their service, they just got laid off. That sucks big time.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
   I got back Friday from a week in Colorado, plane back to Newark was only 1/4 full. Flight back was very early morning so the Airport in Denver was dead. Glad to be back but glad to  have slipped in trip. Nephew that I stayed with, is leaving Fairplay CO and moving to Bozeman MT for next ski season.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Who will still be open by close of business today?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We are.

Coleman released a statement about the forced Colorado closure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9vp2IipGOW/?igshid=n3gaqem4sp3c

I don’t agree with him. Im worried that he’s putting people in danger. I watched my friends bar tending yesterday at Snowbowl and thought, these guys are getting this thing quick and could spread it like wild fire.

I’ll be staying clear of the lodge for a while now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
raisingarizona wrote
I don’t agree with him. Im worried that he’s putting people in danger. I watched my friends bar tending yesterday at Snowbowl and thought, these guys are getting this thing quick and could spread it like wild fire.
I’ll be staying clear of the lodge for a while now.
Agreed. A nightmare scenario would be a ski area staying open and hosting a Typhoid-Mary situation as happened at the Alps premier party resort, Ischgl, where one bartender at an après-ski joint infected a large number of people. Imagine the lawsuits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
Independent in NY as of last night few places
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Headed to Killington today from Queensbury.  My brother who has a pass at Attitash which closed yesterday is going to meet me.  Then back downstate.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Capdistski wrote
Headed to Killington today from Queensbury.  My brother who has a pass at Attitash which closed yesterday is going to meet me.  Then back downstate.
K is closed
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Jesus.  Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
An ideas where we could meet between white river junction and Glens falls?  Maybe Magic...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
I believe that are open
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Magic it is - my brother just turned left at white river junction.

Thanks again - I was on K’s website at midnight but probably would not have checked this morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
Powder Mountain is open in a fashion that feels like lift-served side country, if that makes any sense.  Lowered their daily cap to 1000 for 7000 acres.  The season pass limit is something like 1500.  How long PowMow stay open?  Who knows.

As of March 15, 2020, 9:00am ET
https://www.powdermountain.com/covid-19

POWDER MOUNTAIN'S EFFORTS & RECOMMENDATIONS TO PROVIDE A SAFE & HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT FOR OUR GUESTS & EMPLOYEES

At Powder Mountain, our first and foremost concern is always the well-being and safety of our guests and employees, both on the mountain and off. We share a common concern over the recent spread of the COVID-19 virus. Our entire staff and management team wants to assure you that we are implementing special precautions and taking significant measures to minimize the risk of contraction of COVID-19 at Powder Mountain.

It is critical that we are conscious of those who may have come in contact with the virus, and that we take every possible precaution to avoid transmission. We are fortunate at Powder Mountain that most of our resort activities involve outdoor recreation and that our mountain is uniquely uncrowded, due to the fact that we limit pass/ticket sales (and thus visitation) on our vast acreage, compared to other ski resorts. Our indoor venues are decentralized and small, thus limiting the number of people that can gather in one place at one time. This keeps any gathering area counts below the group sizes that have been mentioned as potential concern by local and state authorities to date.  

In addition to our normal industry-standard sanitization and public health/safety practices, we are taking the following supplemental actions to minimize the risk of transmission:

Terrain & Sevices

*Updated* Our cap will be lowered to 1,000 tickets per day to allow guests to load the lifts with their party and not be grouped with other guests.

*Updated* We will make limited canned, bottled and fountain beverages available and prepacked snack food items available for purchase.

*Updated* Lodges will be accessible for limited food and beverage purchases and restroom use only.

*Updated* The Rental and Retail shops will have metered access to ensure they are not overcrowded.  If guests are requested to wait outside, we ask that they maintain appropriate social separation and respect others personal space.

*Updated* We are encouraging guests to tailgate and base out of their vehicles.

Due to tight quarters in snowcat cabins and the inability to adequately ensure personal space, Lightning Ridge and Raintree cats will cease operations until further notice.  Lighting Ridge and Raintree will remain open for hiking and skinning.

Due to the high volume on Powder Country Shuttle and the inability to adequately ensure personal space, Powder Country will close until further notice.

All Powder Mountain events and Powder Keg music have been canceled for the remainder of the season.

Additional buffers will be put in place in food service areas to separate guests from food preparation areas.

A limited amount of guests will be allowed on the Sundown to Timberline bus at a time to ensure adequate personal space can be maintained.

UTA bus service will continue uninterrupted and UTA will be increasing bus sterilization and cleaning activities.

Due to the lack of understanding in young children regarding the transmissibility of this virus and the importance of maintaining adequate personal space, the Childrens Center will be severely limiting class sizes and offer discounted Private Lessons for children.

Powder Mountain Staff & Operations

*Updated* If you have any signs or symptoms of Covid-19, please self-isolate and take the time you need to get well before you come ski or ride.

A sterilizing task force will be cleaning door handles, railings, counter, chairs, tables, restrooms, and food and beverage areas constantly throughout the day.

All front-line staff are provided gloves and/or hand sanitizer.

We ask that our Guests and Team Members maintain at least 3 feet of personal space and respect the personal space of others.

Guests will not be grouped with strangers on lift chairs.

To help maintain safe personal space, smaller spaces may have a guest capacity limit.
If guests feel uncomfortable for any reason, our Powder Mountain Host, Ski Patrol and Managers are available to assist you.

If guests are uncomfortable entering an indoor space, please find a Powder Mountain Host, Ski Patrol, or Manager and they will be happy to assist you.

Instituting additional sanitization measures in our lodging units (which are condos and residences located in separate buildings both on-mountain and in the Eden Valley) which include the use of disinfectant wipes on all hard surfaces and commonly touched areas after every checkout, rigorous linen cleaning, and extra cleaning services available upon quest request.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Capdistski
Magic open for a last day on Sun, March 15.  Limiting the number of tickets being sold.  Keeping the lodge under 250 people.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Capdistski
If you think the COVID-19 thread here is long and dramatic (currently at 275 posts), the Coronavirus thread on the German-language Alpinforum is well more than 2,100 posts! Due to all the passionate disagreements and associated name-calling, check out the message (translation below) that the webmaster added to the top of any website page:

Spread of the Coronavirus
The spread of the Coronavirus and the associated closure of ski areas affects us all. Nevertheless, it's now necessary to follow the recommendations for behavior in the interests of our health and that of our fellow skiers:

Avoid social contact and travel that are not absolutely necessary. This includes avoiding trips to ski areas that may still be open. If necessary, physical isolation and quarantine must be followed. In particular, reports or encouragement to circumvent these measures are not permitted on Alpinforum. This also applies to the spread of fake news, unfounded panic, and speculation. A factual discussion is, of course, welcome.

In the event of a violation of these rules, we reserve the right to ban forum members on a short-term basis, and in the event of extreme or repeated cases, administer a permanent banning.

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Article with the basics for people who haven't seen all the skiing related COVID news from the last couple days.  Bottom line is that for New England, there will a LOT of out-of-state people driving away from home with their kids since school was called off.  Concept of "social distancing" and "flatten the curve" was probably not in their vocabulary yet.  Hope they didn't go visit grandparents or friends with underlying medical conditions on the way home.  Really hope they know how to wash their hands effectively!

March 15, VT Ski and Ride
https://vtskiandride.com/how-the-resort-closings-happened/

https://www.flattenthecurve.com
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 30