581 messages Options
1 ... 17181920212223 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote

I also think Marshall Law is a possibility..
"Marshall Law"

Come on camp, I'm rooting for you, man. Do *a little* learning.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

I also think Marshall Law is a possibility..
"Marshall Law"

Come on camp, I'm rooting for you, man. Do *a little* learning.
From the governor of CA

“If you want to establish a framework of martial law, which is ultimate authority and enforcement, we have the capacity to do that, but we are not feeling at this moment that is a necessity,” Newsom said.

Note - he didn’t say it won’t happen.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/03/22/vail-resorts-expects-a-loss-of-180-to-200-million-due-to-covid-19/

I have a hard time understanding how their losses will be that large.  They are only losing the non season pass sales from spring break.  Most late season skiers are on season passes so they now already have the revenue and don’t have to put out any operating costs.  Maybe they are trying to position themselves for some govt bail out money.  I’m calling BS on this.

Orda I’m sure is making this yr more profitable by not operating this spring as the walk up doesn’t cover Operating costs daily.  I don’t know for sure but I’d guess that 90% of spring ski days at Orda are on season passes.

I do expect that ikon and epic pass sales are going to suck until fall.  After getting the plug pulled early who wants to pay for next yrs pass right now with the economic uncertainty?  I’m not sure how they recognize next yrs season pass sales in terms of when they get to take that as sales and profits.  If they recognize the sales you can take the profit until you have delivered the product and experienced the costs.  Maybe they have to record a liability until next winter to balance things out from an accounting stand point.  I expect to see significant discounts for renewals and probably the spring rates get extended until well after this crisis ends.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
You know, I was thinking the same thing and call BS as well.  They should be in the plus revenue column by my calculations - pass holders...bye bye, employees, later dudes and get the f**K out of our housing ASAP.  They'll lose some lodging and concessions revenue but I doubt that it outweighs the other costs.  Most of these early closings were voluntary, not mandatory.  I still expect a small refund from IKON but will probably renew my pass as it really is a great deal.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Z
GAAP are a complicated thing.  Like/agree with the rules or not, there are probably a lot of write-offs and write-downs, as well as severance and other shut down costs, that can be claimed...and they can drive the reported losses up.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
 martial law.
Yep. That's the right phrase.

"Marshall Law" isn't a thing and spelling it like that indicates that you've got more fear than common sense to do 2 seconds of thinking (or googling).
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Marshal Law
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Stop bullying me.
 I'm very sensitive and will leave
Glad you've taken over for Scotty as our local internet spelling police.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Hopefully it doesn’t come to “marital law” .. don’t want to have to paint the house and clean the garage, lol
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Stop bullying me.
Haha, just admit you don't even know how to spell the thing you're so afraid of, and we're good.

"Marshall Law"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Stop bullying me.
Haha, just admit you don't even know how to spell the thing you're so afraid of, and we're good.

"Marshall Law"
Geezus, if you're just now noticing I'm a terrible speller than I don't think I'm the one with a problem....lol

P.s. Warp spelled it wrong 2 so I'm in good company
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Geezus, if you're just now noticing I'm a terrible speller
Like, do you even understand what "Martial Law" is, though? The meaning is in the phrase, right?

You thought it was named after a guy named "Marshall"?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LMAO
Yes I know exactly what it is. I simply spelled it wrong you nitwit
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Stop picking on me!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/03/22/vail-resorts-expects-a-loss-of-180-to-200-million-due-to-covid-19/

I have a hard time understanding how their losses will be that large.  They are only losing the non season pass sales from spring break.  Most late season skiers are on season passes so they now already have the revenue and don’t have to put out any operating costs.  Maybe they are trying to position themselves for some govt bail out money.  I’m calling BS on this.

Orda I’m sure is making this yr more profitable by not operating this spring as the walk up doesn’t cover Operating costs daily.  I don’t know for sure but I’d guess that 90% of spring ski days at Orda are on season passes.

I do expect that ikon and epic pass sales are going to suck until fall.  After getting the plug pulled early who wants to pay for next yrs pass right now with the economic uncertainty?  I’m not sure how they recognize next yrs season pass sales in terms of when they get to take that as sales and profits.  If they recognize the sales you can take the profit until you have delivered the product and experienced the costs.  Maybe they have to record a liability until next winter to balance things out from an accounting stand point.  I expect to see significant discounts for renewals and probably the spring rates get extended until well after this crisis ends.
Never forget that Trump is in the same business as Vail. He will make sure our incredibly vital resort and hotel industry will get a really nice bailout, because he thinks of himself before anybody and anything else. Vail is just faking the numbers to position itself for buckets of that bailout money, then, if and when the all clear sounds and people start travelling,  the stock will bounce high because they "beat expectations". Win win.

There should be a revolution if Vail.Inc. gets any taxpayer money during this event, especially after what they did to their employees. But, they probably will.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Benny Profane wrote
Z wrote

Never forget that Trump is in the same business as Vail. He will make sure our incredibly vital resort and hotel industry will get a really nice bailout, because he thinks of himself before anybody and anything else. Vail is just faking the numbers to position itself for buckets of that bailout money, then, if and when the all clear sounds and people start travelling,  the stock will bounce high because they "beat expectations". Win win.

There should be a revolution if Vail.Inc. gets any taxpayer money during this event, especially after what they did to their employees. But, they probably will.
Spicy milk for the Woodstove.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Geezus, if you're just now noticing I'm a terrible speller
Like, do you even understand what "Martial Law" is, though? The meaning is in the phrase, right?

You thought it was named after a guy named "Marshall"?
Sounds like a trashy Eminem type rapper from West Virginia.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm surprised that some dude from Texas or Oklahoma hasn't legally changed his name to "Marshall Law" to run for Sheriff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I'm surprised that some dude from Texas or Oklahoma hasn't legally changed his name to "Marshall Law" to run for Sheriff.
How many tooths does your ideal candidate have?
I don't rip, I bomb.
1 ... 17181920212223 ... 30