classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
1 ... 20212223242526 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

witch hobble
I’d say to use your own best judgement then. And dress as though you might swim, even if the likelihood is miniscule. And take it easy, don’t become a news story or a reason for every boat launch in all of the greater northeast to be guarded by drone surveillance.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Brownski, based on what you write, it seems like you respect the river. No worries.

Meanwhile, a stretch of woods that I used to have to myself has become as overrun as an Adirondack trail head.  People going stir crazy.  It wouldn't be so bad if these clowns would pack out their trash.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
I’d say to use your own best judgement then. And dress as though you might swim, even if the likelihood is miniscule. And take it easy, don’t become a news story or a reason for every boat launch in all of the greater northeast to be guarded by drone surveillance.
The city has already closed all of their launches, which is what makes me think the guv might not approve.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
I went to one of my normal mountain biking spots, and I have never seen the parking lot this crowded. And 2 Trucks had just left!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I went to one of my normal mountain biking spots, and I have never seen the parking lot this crowded. And 2 Trucks had just left!
Same out here. There’s a lot of folks checking out our trail project right now which is super cool to see but I was hoping it would be a little longer before they caught on.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I had to go to a overflow lot at my MTB trail..Only a few bikes , a ton of hikers..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JasonWx wrote
I had to go to a overflow lot at my MTB trail..Only a few bikes , a ton of hikers..
Interesting. How was the riding? I was just over that way but I didn’t go over the mountain. The Piermont waterfront was close to deserted.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Went to Highland Forest (huge park 20 miles SE of Syracuse) yesterday to hike with wife and son.  Parking lot was about 1/3 full and I chuckled when we pulled in as almost all cars had practice vehicle social distancing...all 2-3 spots apart from each other!  A few people and bikes on the trails but the place is so big it's impossible to fill even when the parking lot is full.  Thankful that the geniuses hadn't gotten around to closing that place yet.  The more places you close, the denser the usage gets at the places remaining open.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
onscott wrote
Thankful that the geniuses hadn't gotten around to closing that place yet.
Aren't you the one who claimed in a different thread that the NY City subways are running at 87%? People in glass houses, dude.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
onscott wrote
Thankful that the geniuses hadn't gotten around to closing that place yet.
Aren't you the one who claimed in a different thread that the NY City subways are running at 87%? People in glass houses, dude.
Yeah misread the article so went back and read it in detail (NY Times, 3/30) What it is saying is that although the ridership is way down there are still many crowded trains because service has also been cut dramatically.  Dude?  Why yes I am!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Vail Inc. and Alterra have announced significant cost reductions due to loss of revenue. Vail more than Alterra. All capital projects cancelled, big salary reductions. I'd hold off on either an Epic or Ikon pass until the smoke clears on this one. I'm wondering if they're factoring in a good possibility that skiing won't happen next season.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
This post was updated on .
Maybe this thread could also be titled "Skiing impact on COVID-19". I don't think this "New Yorker" article has been posted on NYskiblog yet. Some ski towns hit hardest and early. Active case visitor(s) with large congregations equal COVID-19 fire(s). https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-an-idaho-ski-destination-has-one-of-the-highest-covid-19-rates-in-the-nation 

There's this to add from the editor of their local news, posted as a reply yesterday evening. https://www.mtexpress.com/opinion/editorials/a-letter-from-the-editor/article_08b7f232-7861-11ea-9d78-2b81bad4cdee.html
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Yesterday's NY times article for Mono County California. (Mammoth's county)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/coronavirus-california-mono-county.html?searchResultPosition=1
It's difficult to share this stuff but the recently altered reality is tough these days. Hopefully we can nip it ASAP. Stay safe folks. It's suppose to snow around here tonight and tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
This post was updated on .
And latest "news" from Gunnison county...
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/04/09/crested-butte-orders-all-non-residents-to-go-home-or-face-up-to-18-months-in-jail/

Regarding testing to inhibit spread of disease. We had to have our "bitch" dog get tested before she got knocked up at the studs well cared for kennel. They mated successfully on Super bowl Sunday a while back, so we got that going for us. Animals "test" with their senses before mating and y'all know the birds and bees thing's too.

There's a lot of smart people who really like skiing (not to mention going on cruises) and if they can perform lesson learned and corrective and preventative actions (CAPA) to fix the skiing-covid thingy they can share best practices with others globally. Right now we need accurate data. To quote Jim Barksdale, the  CEO of Netscape, company that first distributed a web browser,“If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine.”  We're all in this together now. Lather rinse repeat.
Link to Barksdale's wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._Barksdale

As ya can tell, I and we've been cooped up a while...
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Replying to my recently posted comment just shows how squirrely I've become, but just found this when I searched for "dogs used to detect flu", Our tax money at work. Just got to figure out what in the poo are furry friends are sniffing... Mass spectroscopy is very sensitive for volatiles and they've built portable ones a while ago. Anybody know if these folks are trying to take a look or sniff at the bat flu? Beagles have better noses than the dogs depicted in the article but are most likely harder to train.
See:
https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2019-04-01/colorado-state-university-usda-train-dogs-sniff-out-bird-flu

Five of the six dogs being trained for the current project came from shelters across the U.S. Dogs are not susceptible to avian influenza.

The dogs are performing at 97-98 percent accuracy as a group," said Glen Golden, PhD, a research scientist in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at the CSU veterinary college.

Holy bat shit!
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Vail Inc. and Alterra have announced significant cost reductions due to loss of revenue. Vail more than Alterra. All capital projects cancelled, big salary reductions. I'd hold off on either an Epic or Ikon pass until the smoke clears on this one. I'm wondering if they're factoring in a good possibility that skiing won't happen next season.
Glad you put this on here, Benny...I almost forgot about Ikon.  Just signed up for a renewal in order to get the discount ($50).  They are offering a deal where you put $200 down and make four payments later - no financing charges.  If the ski industry ever needed us more it is now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I’m wondering if this will be the event that puts an end to the unhealthy bigger’ing trend in the ski industry and if we’ll start to see these corporations consolidate and divest themselves of smaller or less profitable resorts.
1 ... 20212223242526 ... 30