classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

onscott
I sense an inflection point as of this morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
This post was updated on .
onscott wrote
I sense an inflection point as of this morning.
You mean that everyone will know how to spell Martial Law moving forward?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Platty owner s offering help

At Plattekill Mtn we have quite a bit of perishable foods we would like to give away to anyone who may need them. For example, we have several gallons of whole milk, half and half, a case of lettuce, onions, carrots, potatoes; non of which we want to throw away, that would be a waste. Who needs these, we are happy to share.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottySkis1 wrote
Platty owner s offering help

At Plattekill Mtn we have quite a bit of perishable foods we would like to give away to anyone who may need them. For example, we have several gallons of whole milk, half and half, a case of lettuce, onions, carrots, potatoes; non of which we want to throw away, that would be a waste. Who needs these, we are happy to share.
I knew I liked that place. Bravo to them!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
^ I saw Killington was doing the same.

I went for a solo MTB ride  yesterday, trail head and trails were probably busiest I have ever seen them, rivaling a midsummer day and it was 45d and breezy...
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It’s a good thing the ski area closed, this resort did not and they created a huge outbreak
https://snowbrains.com/ischgl-linked-thousands-coronavirus
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
^ I saw Killington was doing the same.

I went for a solo MTB ride  yesterday, trail head and trails were probably busiest I have ever seen them, rivaling a midsummer day and it was 45d and breezy...
Did hill repeats at the Snow Bowl in Jefferson yesterday.  Yesterday there had to be a dozen people.  Last time I saw another human there was maybe 10 years ago.  Same with other places that are usually remote.  People doing group mtb rides... probably not a best practice at present.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
It’s a good thing the ski area closed, this resort did not and they created a huge outbreak
That looks like the same party scene that I witnessed at Val d'Siere last year. Huge crowd on mountain gyrating to crappy Euro disco pop, and then everybody crams into clubs for the same thing all night long. Perfect transmission points.

That recent ski movie that nobody saw, Downhill, was filmed in Ischgl. Looks like a really nice place to visit. Next year may be a good time, because anybody who survived will be very immune.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
Very sorry for anyone it's just starting
It fucken suck s for all effect ed
In any way or form
I praise anyone doing anything positive to help

Tragic but not unexpected news

More than 100 employees between 3 different Boston-area hospitals have tested positive for coronavirus, according to NBC Boston.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
PeeTex wrote
That looks like the same party scene that I witnessed at Val d'Siere last year. Huge crowd on mountain gyrating to crappy Euro disco pop, and then everybody crams into clubs for the same thing all night long. Perfect transmission points.

That recent ski movie that nobody saw, Downhill, was filmed in Ischgl. Looks like a really nice place to visit. Next year may be a good time, because anybody who survived will be very immune.
They were playing beer pong & blowing a whistle?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Ewww, gross.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
Half asleep thought of the morning:

40,000 ventilators. what about all the power strips and extension cords  required to power them as there are only going to be so many receptacles at makeshift hospital sites.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Go back to sleep 🙄
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589

They were playing beer pong & blowing a whistle?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Sounds like the fall out of "bobbing for apples" as kids. Always called it "bobbing for spit" No effin way I'd ever let my likds engage in that apple bobbin' stupidness. Heard someone (a local) a few years back at a bar/restaurant telling the bartender to get a glass from the dishwasher in the back (the machine), and not to pour their drink in a glass washed at the bar. I thought about this and understood why. Bar was crowded and the patron didn't trust the washing skills, or lack of, of the bar staff. A few weeks back in the wake of the virus, I saw folks requesting their drafts be poured in unused plastic cups, rater than glass barware. I jumped on that request myself, as I thought it made good sense. Something to think about moving forward once things resolve.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hah!
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A Letter From Win Smith and Matt Lillard on Uphill Travel
Warren, VT (April 2, 2020)

Dear Sugarbush and Mad River Glen Communities,

Over the last few difficult weeks we know that many of you have enjoyed skinning, hiking, skiing and riding at our mountains. While we fully embrace outdoor recreation, we have reluctantly made the decision to end uphill travel for the rest of this season at both Sugarbush and Mad River Glen, effective at dusk today. As we have become two of the last areas permitting this activity, we are concerned that this will now bring even more people into our community at a time when it is not in anyone’s best interest. Last weekend both Sugarbush and Mad River Glen saw a large volume of visitors traveling here from around the state and beyond. Though most were practicing social distancing we unfortunately understand that some may not have been following the proper guidelines. Given the favorable weather this weekend, we would anticipate even larger numbers if we don’t close uphill travel.

We know that outdoor exercise is something that we all enjoy and what is strongly recommended by the medical community and exempted under the Stay at Home order by Governor Scott. However, as the worst of the Coronavirus is still in front of us, we believe that this is the most appropriate action to take. Being good community members and looking out for the best interests of the community is a core value that we both hold. We thank you for your understanding and ask that you help us spread the word and keep people safe. We look forward to the return of normalcy. In the meantime, stay healthy.

All the best,

Matt Lillard
General Manager
Mad River Glen

Win Smith
President
Sugarbush Resort
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
They're doing the right thing.  Blaine County ID:  highest incidence of COVID-19 per capita in the US.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet, this is pretty big news about how corona virus is impacting the ski industry.

Vail postponed all improvement projects for 20/21.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vail-resorts-provides-business-update-in-response-to-covid-19-301033609.html#financial-modal
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I’m gonna be pretty bummed if Coleman puts off our new chair for another year or whatever it may be.

The Agassiz chair really needs to be retired.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
 Copied Vail's statement regarding risks:
 "Such risks and uncertainties include but are not limited to the ultimate duration of COVID-19 and its short-term and long-term impacts on consumer behaviors, the economy generally and our business and results of operations; prolonged weakness in general economic conditions, including adverse effects on the overall travel and leisure related industries; willingness or ability of our guests to travel due to terrorism, the uncertainty of military conflicts or outbreaks of contagious diseases (such as the current outbreak of COVID-19), and the cost and availability of travel options and changing consumer preferences; unfavorable weather conditions or the impact of natural disasters; risks related to our reliance on information technology, including our failure to maintain the integrity of our customer or employee data and our ability to adapt to technological developments or industry trends; risks related to cyber-attacks; the seasonality of our business combined with adverse events that occur during our peak operating periods; competition in our mountain and lodging businesses; high fixed cost structure of our business; our ability to fund resort capital expenditures; risks related to a disruption in our water supply that would impact our snowmaking capabilities and operations; our reliance on government permits or approvals for our use of public land or to make operational and capital improvements; risks associated with obtaining governmental or third party approvals; risks related to federal, state, local and foreign government laws, rules and regulations; risks related to changes in security and privacy laws and regulations which could increase our operating costs and adversely affect our ability to market our products and services effectively; risks related to our workforce, including increased labor costs; loss of key personnel and our ability to hire and retain a sufficient seasonal workforce; adverse consequences of current or future legal claims; a deterioration in the quality or reputation of our brands, including our ability to protect our intellectual property and the risk of accidents at our mountain resorts; our ability to successfully integrate acquired businesses, or that acquired businesses may fail to perform in accordance with expectations, including Falls Creek, Hotham, Peak Resorts or future acquisitions; our ability to satisfy the requirements of Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, with respect to acquired businesses; risks associated with international operations; fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates where the Company has foreign currency exposure, primarily the Canadian and Australian dollars; changes in accounting judgments and estimates, accounting principles, policies or guidelines or adverse determinations by taxing authorities as well as risks associated with uncertainty of the impact of tax reform legislation in the United States; a materially adverse change in our financial condition; and other risks detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the "Risk Factors" section of the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended July 31, 2019, which was filed on September 26, 2019.

All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any persons acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by these cautionary statements. All guidance and forward-looking statements in this press release are made as of the date hereof and we do not undertake any obligation to update any forecast or forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as may be required by law."

raisingarizona wrote
I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet, this is pretty big news about how corona virus is impacting the ski industry.

Vail postponed all improvement projects for 20/21.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vail-resorts-provides-business-update-in-response-to-covid-19-301033609.html#financial-modal
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 30