classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Peter Minde
I was gonna post Catamount's statement, but Harv beat me to it.  I think they did the right thing.

Ended up bailing on my Lake Placid trip.  Not because Mt van Ho is down to 15 km of open trail, but my lodging situation.  Crowded to the gills hostel, which happens to be a place I would heartily recommend at any other time.  

Thought it would be irresponsible for me to bring my child into that environment, I don't mind eating  my deposit.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I saw that and liked it!  :)  The comments I saw were before Jon's response.

Half the public is skeptical and enjoys being negative.

marznc wrote
But then I don't expect much from many people who comment on FB posts.
I thought it was smart of Jon to comment.
Only half? You sure about that? :D
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
raisingarizona wrote
Only half? You sure about that? :D
No, it was a wild ass guess. Or maybe it was figurative.

The thread on AZ, everyone is cynical about it, so over there there is only one half.  :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

The thread on AZ, everyone is cynical about it, so over there there is only one half.  :)

That place still exists?? Amazing.

I'd be OK if my home hill closed. For a lot of reason it certainly makes sense.  Here at my place of work we just had the "what if meeting". We're taking above normal precautions to help aid in not spreading sickness. Should someone become sick they are required to have a doctors note stating they can come back to work before they can return.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote
I had the same thought!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

I'd be OK if my home hill closed. For a lot of reason it certainly makes sense.  Here at my place of work we just had the "what if meeting". We're taking above normal precautions to help aid in not spreading sickness. Should someone become sick they are required to have a doctors note stating they can come back to work before they can return.
Yes it does.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Lots of popular late season events will be cancelled... Sugarloaf Reggaefest, Mount Washington Inferno Race, etc.

They haven't cancelled Winter Wondergrass in Squaw Valley yet, but that's probably coming.... So I might have to cancel that trip.

They haven't cancelled the PSIA National Team Tryouts yet, but that might be coming.... So I might have to cancel that trip.

On the bright side, I might have some more ski days coming up if they tell me not to come to the office for a couple of weeks.
Winter Wondergrass cancelled.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
The only forums I check regularly beyond NYSF are TGR and AZ.  The regulars ski different mountains than I do, so I can learn something.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Like my ski hill I'm a homer when it comes to my ski forum too
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
USSA pulled the plug on all races as of next Monday
Series that already started can complete like the one at Gore thru Sunday

This is very tough on these kids that have worked their butts off to qualify for regionals champs or finals, national champs etc.

For some of them they never qualify again for a champs series

I’m in the camp of this whole thing is a huge over reaction driven by the media.  The average age of fatalities is 80.  The flu kills way more every year.  

I’m hoping I can still get to Utah about a month from now but I’m starting to doubt it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Z wrote
I’m in the camp of this whole thing is a huge over reaction driven by the media.  The average age of fatalities is 80.  The flu kills way more every year.
It’s amazing that you know more than governments, infectious disease experts, and major corporations sacrificing millions or billions of dollars to help prevent the spread of this disease.

Your attitude is arrogant and selfish.

But please teach your kid that what’s important is how this affects him and you personally.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
There's potential danger for all. If all the hospital beds are filled with those in the COVID high risk group, it might not be available for you or someone you care about.

IMO the biggest danger for those outside the COVID high risk group, is a danger to all, the systemic risk.   The market is only one issue. Think about the cost to society, supporting all those who can't work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Whiteface Facebook page wrote
Whiteface Mountain will be open during regular business hours, with limited capacity, we will be operating with a 50% density reduction within our indoor facilities. Additionally, Cloudsplitter Gondola will be closed for the remainder of the season starting at 5pm Friday, March 13th. All lifts and the seating capacity on lifts will also be controlled. For up to date information please visit www.whiteface.com
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
From Gore FB
Hi Everyone, we are open during regular hours, with limited capacity. We will be operating with a 50% density reduction applied within our indoor facilities. The Northwoods Gondola will be closed for the remainder of the season as of the end of the ski day on Friday, March 13th. All lifts and the seating capacity on lifts will also be controlled. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, and any further updates will be posted to our website as they become available.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Z wrote
It’s amazing that you know more than governments, infectious disease experts, and major corporations sacrificing millions or billions of dollars to help prevent the spread of this disease.

Your attitude is arrogant and selfish.

But please teach your kid that what’s important is how this affects him and you personally.
Total BS. Coach never implied anything like you've described.
Go to the NYS Health Dept's website and look at the Corona 19 page. In no way does it portray the fear you describe. It's level headed advise as to how to deal with this virus.
We already know that you feel you're the expert.

This virus is totally personal. Maybe Coach feels perfectly fine going to a ski race. You judge him why?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Camp - do you honestly think that major corporations aren’t consulting experts before taking the drastic actions that will cost them lots of money? Do you think professional sports organizations are just cancelling games and seasons based on media reports?

I’m pretty sure they’re consulting with experts before taking the actions they are. Same with state governments, and entire nations.

You’re a genius. Coaches post absolutely implies he knows more than the experts who are sounding the alarms. He implied it by saying it’s just media hype. You have very poor reasoning and comprehension abilities.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Last thought - it’s not about whether Coach feels safe going to a race. This is about stopping the spread of this and everyone needs to help, everyone. Lots of people are making big sacrifices right now. Lots of healthcare workers will be put at higher risk than normal. Lots of people who need treatment for other illnesses may have difficulty getting it when our healthcare system is overloaded.

Ignoring the experts and not helping when our country needs everyone to do what they can to slow this thing down is selfish.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Billy,
As is usually the case with Z, he is a bit self centered. He is correct in this is over hyped much like most hurricanes. What is selfish on his part is not thinking what the impact on his family might be but rather the impact on the at risk population.

Personally I don’t fear the virus even though I am in the age group that should but I will act as if I am a carrier and do what I can not to infect others.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If anyone sounds elite it is you IMO.

If I'm wrong, sobeit. I've been wrong before.

Who's ignoring your experts? Did you look at the NYSHD website? Are you inferring that they aren't experts when it comes to spreading this disease?

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Camp - you’re the only person to ever accuse me of sounding elite.

I think we all need to make sacrifices right now that we’d prefer to not have to make in an ideal world. I’d like to see this controlled as quickly as possible, with minimized loss of life, minimized economic impact, and minimized job losses.

There will always be people who can’t see past their own interests, and act for the greater good, and justify or rationalize it in any number of ways.

I give up. You win.

1 ... 3456789 ... 30