classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

onscott
I've had similar thoughts on this.  The great prosperity of our times has led to a record number of people flocking to major ski resorts - I'm as guilty as the next person.  That said, for me I think ski season 20-21 will be a focus on smaller resorts...if they have snow, of course.  I'm an alt-resort guy 100% but you need snow to ski on.  He who has snow makes the rules.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I'm guessing that air travel to skiing next year will be way down. Furgetabout Americans flying to Europe, if it even happens. Even if the Euro resorts open, I'm thinking that the EU countries may restrict entry to Americans after they've watched our awful response to this pandemic. Domestically, many skiers may decide to drive to localish hills instead of flying, although maybe I'm wrong. Old habits die hard. There are thousands of people out on the oceans around the world right now on cruise ships, and they all boarded well after warnings were out there. Cruise bookings for next year are up a lot, and that's not just cancelled trips moved forward. I read that ski club trip bookings are up, too. Who knows. AirBnB has taken a huge hit, though.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Benny Profane wrote
I'm guessing that air travel to skiing next year will be way down.
That's what everyone said after 9/11; however, my 2001-02 ski-day record shows three separate destination trips out west (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah), and a car trip to Vermont and the Eastern Townships. I clearly wasn't married and didn't have a kid back then, but it appears that travel rebounded quickly, albeit with enhanced security measures in airports and public spaces.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Quandola

trackbiker
The Covid-19 Lift
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Benny Profane wrote
I'm guessing that air travel to skiing next year will be way down.
That's what everyone said after 9/11; however, my 2001-02 ski-day record shows three separate destination trips out west (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah), and a car trip to Vermont and the Eastern Townships. I clearly wasn't married and didn't have a kid back then, but it appears that travel rebounded quickly, albeit with enhanced security measures in airports and public spaces.

The TSA isn't going to cure this virus.

I was working in Manhattan just a few days after 9/11, along with millions. We all got back to work, under a cloud of depression and fear, but, we got back to work. How long has the NYC metro region been shut down now, and how much longer will this last? My governor in Ct. just extended lockdown to 5/20. Anyway, what we're doing now is just minimizing the effects of the first wave of this pandemic, and some think the second wave, in a few months, could be worse, especially if we all just follow the orange clown and act like it's ok to go back to "normal".
If I were you guys up in the north country, I'd be hoping that ski season doesnt start at the normal time this year, maybe at all, because that will just bring death up there wrapped up in Gore Tex and wearing a hemet.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

gefiltephish
Wintry Mix is a dope podcast in general. The below link is for the latest episode, where the host discusses 3 different scenarios for the ski biz 20-21 season.  

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-7gw59-d81c56 

I too want to support certain resorts, potentially Ikon, Magic, Champlain Valley ski card, Bolton, etc... But the above podcast does a damn good job of bringing up reasons why ski biz things are up in the air- beyond the capital projects that the ski biz is currently discussing publicly.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
gefiltephish wrote
. But the above podcast does a damn good job of bringing up reasons why ski biz things are up in the air- beyond the capital projects that the ski biz is currently discussing publicly.
I like the podcast, bit probably won't get around to listening for a while. What were the reasons?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by gefiltephish
gefiltephish wrote
Wintry Mix is a dope podcast in general. The below link is for the latest episode, where the host discusses 3 different scenarios for the ski biz 20-21 season.  

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-7gw59-d81c56 

I too want to support certain resorts, potentially Ikon, Magic, Champlain Valley ski card, Bolton, etc... But the above podcast does a damn good job of bringing up reasons why ski biz things are up in the air- beyond the capital projects that the ski biz is currently discussing publicly.
Thanks for turning me on to that podcast. But, depressing. Ultimately, a first world problem. There are already long lines at food banks.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Good article about one of spots where the virus broke out early, Sun Valley, Idaho. Lots of interviews with people that live in the area:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/coronavirus-covid-19-idaho-blaine-county-sun-valley
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I just listened to that podcast. Ooff, that’s rough but the reality. This virus isn’t going to just go away, things are going to be weird for a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Did anyone see this? A Californian is suing VR for not providing compensation to Epicpass holders due to the early ski season closure.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There almost certainly be a class action suit vs Ikon as well

These will likely force both to quickly make an offer to pass holders with a discount on renewal
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Z wrote
I'm no Vail or mega pass fan, but IMO this is BS.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Ikon has already extended the early price deadline, doubled the renewal discount and offered nurses an even lower price. It's still not enough to get me to re-up until I'm sure I can fly to Colorado.

IMO there will be no cash refunds ordered because of COVID.  There's just too much economic damage and too many businesses suffering negative cash flow now. I even think airlines will be allowed settle cancelled flights without cash refunds, even though rules require that now. Unused ski passes for spring skiing is the most first world problem ever.

OTOH I expect deep discounts on lodging for passholders, and other incentives to get the business going again.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Z wrote
I'm no Vail or mega pass fan, but IMO this is BS.
Agree, Harv. There's just no way a judge would even sit and listen to a bunch of whiners whining that their ski season got cut short due to a pandemic.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
If you look at most class action lawsuits the lawyers get millions and you get a coupon for 50 cents or something else negligible. How many of those letters have you gotten, "If you've used so and so in the last X years you may be entitled to part of a class action settlement."? There's too many lawyers in this country. The problem is you don't need much to train a lawyer like a doctor or scientist who need labs and equipment. All you need is books and a classroom. Not all lawyers are bad but these ambulance chaser sorts just cost us all money in insurance premiums. They just make work for themselves by suing people that they know will settle rather than go through the cost of a court battle. If we made it so the loser pays these type of lawsuits would go away. But then who makes up the largest part of state and federal legislalures?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
trackbiker wrote
If you look at most class action lawsuits the lawyers get millions and you get a coupon for 50 cents or something else negligible. How many of those letters have you gotten, "If you've used so and so in the last X years you may be entitled to part of a class action settlement."? There's too many lawyers in this country. The problem is you don't need much to train a lawyer like a doctor or scientist who need labs and equipment. All you need is books and a classroom. Not all lawyers are bad but these ambulance chaser sorts just cost us all money in insurance premiums. They just make work for themselves by suing people that they know will settle rather than go through the cost of a court battle. If we made it so the loser pays these type of lawsuits would go away. But then who makes up the largest part of state and federal legislalures?
Some argue that the Insurance Companies are the root of all evil in this Country.  They are the ones that keep their money and refuse or give a hard time to their own insureds when the time comes to pay on claims. The Insurance companies are the ones that have the money to invest.  The insurance companies are the ones who hire investigators immediately and send them to a victim's home to sign a release for much less than the claim is actually worth...sometimes in English when the company knows that is not the claimant's first language.  The Insurance companies are the ones with the deep pockets to hire investigators, perform surveillance, keep Doctors and other experts on the payroll to defend claims that they very know they are liable for.  Do you want me to even start up with Health Insurance Companies or should I just stop with liability carriers?  

For profit insurance carriers are evil.  They are supposed to protect their insureds not their shareholders.

And, as for getting a refund for an IKON or EPIC pass, that is just absurd.  I have an IKON and don't expect anything back.  I'm psyched to see them give a deeper discount for next year, but never expected a refund.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
I'm no fan of insurance companies.  But our auto carrier is going to refund a portion of the policy fee due to the pandemic.  This, in spite of the fact that I had to file a claim this year.  Other driver was at fault....
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
I’m no fan of lawyers and I’m not advocating for this but they will sniff out the class action here if they feel money is to be made and it has a legal case

It’s a contractual issue and if they didn’t put some language in their terms and conditions about a public health  emergency they probably have a decent case.  Force Majure is probably not going to cut it.

I’m be willing to bet Ikon’s extra 50 buck discount put out this afternoon was a direct result of the Epic class action law suit.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 30