classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
226 messages Options
12345678 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: !

campgottagopee
I was in the woods from before sunrise to after sunset yesterday. Still no buck for me. That said, more often than not, a hunters reward does not include horns.

Twas a beautiful day

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I still remember a day my dad and I watched the sunrise in the east on a hot runway leading from a fir meadow into a hardwood swamp adjacent to a corn field, still hunt all day and returned to the same spot late afternoon and watched a giant orange sun set in the west.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I like it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I still remember a day my dad and I watched the sunrise in the east on a hot runway leading from a fir meadow into a hardwood swamp adjacent to a corn field, still hunt all day and returned to the same spot late afternoon and watched a giant orange sun set in the west.
I love those days --- Yesterday I started out to my mountain stand up high on Virgil Mountain. North facing slope (same slope as GP, can hear the whirring of snowmaking), so no sunrise, just wicked cold. On my way there a shooter buck had crossed the hard road right in front of me heading towards what we call Kelly's Lookout. I saw him in the headlights of my ranger and it got me all jacked up for the day. While in my stand I shot my neighbor a text telling him of the buck I saw and where it was heading. He was out of town and told me I could get after him if I wanted too. At about 9 AM I bailed on that stand and headed for the woods right across the street from my house, after that buck. I cut his trail, did a massive loop around the property to see that he hadn't come out yet, so made my plan. With the NW wind I knew what stand I wanted to be in. I made it there about 2. I had been there 20 minutes and started seeing deer, 4 doe in fact. I kept trying to grow horns on one of them but couldn't do it. Damn. I knew he was in there, or so I had thought. Still seeing deer gets me all jazzed, it never gets old. These were all shooters but I don't take doe at home until muzzy season. No real reason other than I love to shoot my muzzleloader. Love that smoker!! Never saw my buck. Back after him Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I like it.
Thanks Harv --- it was a really fun day --- my entire body hurts today
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i'm not a hunter..But that sounds like such a peaceful and relaxing day..As long as your not a buck
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
i'm not a hunter..But that sounds like such a peaceful and relaxing day..As long as your not a buck
LOL

It really is.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
One of my most favorite things about hunting at home is who you bump into. I got a text from buddy, hey you hunting across from your house?

Yep

I'm up top with Sean

I'll be right there

We shared some coffee and stories --- my buddy has been battling cancer for 4 years now ---- when first diagnosed they gave him a year --- HA!!! I'm glad he's still here --- I won't ever forget my coffee with he and his son. Ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Cunningstunts wrote
Money is bullshit, really all that matters is nature, our families (and fellow humans), and the time we've been given.  Make the most of that and try to not let fear and greed cloud your vision or make stupid blanket statements that might not apply to others.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cunningstunts wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Money is bullshit, really all that matters is nature, our families (and fellow humans), and the time we've been given.  Make the most of that and try to not let fear and greed cloud your vision or make stupid blanket statements that might not apply to others.
concur
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln

Camp this young buck has been hanging around here  
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice --- hopefully he makes it a couple more years, should be a nice one by then.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967

This one was taken in Tully. He looks like an old fellow. Cross bow
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah man those crossbows really smack 'em good, lots of knock down power.

Real nice buck. NYS bucks are second to none if they can get to 4+ years old.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Thats a beauty!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
To date this is the biggest buck, both in rack and in body weight that I've ever taken.

He's unique in that you'll see a third beam, or claw like horn on his right side. He's also full of scars around his eyes from fighting younger bucks. You can also notice a chunk out of his left ear, we figure he literally dodge a bullet. Taxidermist told me he was 5 years old. He is, so far, my buck of a lifetime.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
There’s a big old guy that lives in my neighborhood. He’s grown a huge rack the last couple years too. Gonna die of old age most likely since he’s a suburban deer and probably too tough for the coyotes. Haven’t been quick enough to get a pic yet
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
It's really strange the "park" deer around here where you can't hunt don't get big like that.  I don't think I've ever seen more than a 4 point.  And I see A LOT of deer.  They are like rats in the county parks.  They just hang out there in their sanctuaries where they can't be killed and get fat on the local crops in the neighboring fields.  I suppose once in a while one gets caught off guard out of the sanctuary and gets nailed on someone's farm, but every decade or so they let a few guys go in and clean them up because they get overpopulated.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Brownski
I have a 10 pointer in my yard too..
"Peace and Love"
12345678 ... 12