273 messages Options
12345678 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Charger Love....

weasel1
Here you go:

Your choice of maple-aspen blend or all-maple core, carbon or two sheets of titanal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
weasel1 wrote
Your choice of maple-aspen blend or all-maple core, carbon or two sheets of titanal.
That is a theoretically SWEET ski. And an excellent candidate for waxless treatment.

I'll take maple/aspen/carbon for $200, please Alex.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Very nice Weasel! The topo-relief Graphic is great. I have to agree that all you'd need to do is make a "BC" version of any or all of your existing shapes.
Offer them in the same construction(s) and flex options too.  For now, that is.  Keep it simple, don't overwhelm people with too many variables.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I decided to try the tour mode on the switchbacks just for the hell of it this morning on a climb.

Very weird. Actually it seems to take all the camber out of the ski which is great on the climb. But I have to remember I'm not exactly dialed in on rolling up and down.

On Saturday when we skied, JMP kept saying "you paid a hundred bucks for that tour mode, use it!"
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
I decided to try the tour mode on the switchbacks just for the hell of it this morning on a climb.

Very weird. Actually it seems to take all the camber out of the ski which is great on the climb. But I have to remember I'm not exactly dialed in on rolling up and down.

On Saturday when we skied, JMP kept saying "you paid a hundred bucks for that tour mode, use it!"
Yup kinda like having a/c in the the hottest time of the summer, and not using it cause you like to open the windows
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Darkside Shaman wrote
Harvey wrote
I decided to try the tour mode on the switchbacks just for the hell of it this morning on a climb.Very weird. Actually it seems to take all the camber out of the ski which is great on the climb. But I have to remember I'm not exactly dialed in on rolling up and down. On Saturday when we skied, JMP kept saying "you paid a hundred bucks for that tour mode, use it!"
Yup kinda like having a/c in the the hottest time of the summer, and not using it cause you like to open the windows
Good analogy, Darkside!  I find that  tour mode (for me) is most useful for 1) steep skin tracks.  -as in you have to use skins 'cause it's too steep a grade for the scales..2) when using high stiff boots (example - my T-races), regardless of terrain and whether scales or skins.
 On rolling terrain using scales and soft flexing boots (ie. a Garmont Excursions) I am waaay faster without tour mode "on".  

I should add that that I have a strong Nordic skiing - as well as Alpine/Tele background, which may account for not needing the tour mode as much as others..TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
I do like a precise analogy, even if it proves I'm a dork.

It just seems like it might be a loong time before I get another pair of skis and by adding the touring pivot, I've made these boards way more useful.  If I want to flex the spring on my once a week ski in the back woods... I like it!

One cool thing is that you normally make xc ski trails pretty rounded so skinny skiers can wedge and step turn the corners.  We've got some sharp turns in our trail that you can "cut" them to straighten them out.

But with my Rossis I can pretty much make any turn with a slap tele turn. Funner than heck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Harv, you are well on your way from schwack apprenticeship to becoming a journeyman.  It's insidious, it sneaks up, kinda' like cold maple syrup flowing...

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Telemark Dave wrote
Harv, you are well on your way from schwack apprenticeship to becoming a journeyman.  It's insidious, it sneaks up, kinda' like cold maple syrup flowing...

TD
I must still contend that gear does not a schwacker make.  I am not new to travel in the forest.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Harvey wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Harv, you are well on your way from schwack apprenticeship to becoming a journeyman.  It's insidious, it sneaks up, kinda' like cold maple syrup flowing... TD
I must still contend that gear does not a schwacker make.  I am not new to travel in the forest.
I sorta knew that Harv.  And yes, gear is only part of the equation. It's your stoke that I sense through your more recent posts..
That's the giveaway....
TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Since there is no tele binding jig within an hour's drive, I went with the DIY approach.

Did some geometry and drew a lots of lines on the skis. Measured about 52 times, three different ways:

Today I finally got up the nerve to drill holes and screw the bindings on. Once the glue sets, we are ready to ski:
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Did some geometry and drew a lots of lines on the skis. Measured about 52 times, three different ways:
You crazy man.   Everyone knows that you measure only 3 times, 52 different ways.

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
How about a quiver pic - tele/alpine/schwack...
That's always cool.  In a TGR kind of way.  
I recall there being a quiver pic thread here somewhere...

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Going on a Charger Schwack today with SBR... Could be interesting.  We had a r&*n event the other day, combined with a thaw, that left a sponge toffee like crust on top of the 3' of snow pack.  Then we got about 4 inches or so of fresh to make everything white again - and to lure us out into a potential sucker trap.  

Just the way we like it.

I think I'll take my helmet...

TR to follow on "Tales from the Hinterlands.."

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
^^ Might be a good day to straightline the Logging Road Run!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Wooohoooooooooooooooo.....

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
After today's woods tour on the Voile Charger BC's, SBR and I decided that not only are these the cats ass for yoyo sessions at our favorite pow stash, they are also freaking awesome sliding versions of snowshoes... A low angle woods ski devoid of anything resembling "earning your turns" was a whole lotta fun.  I'll say it again for the skeptics... Voile Chargers rule.  

End of rant.  

TD

Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Telemark Dave wrote
After today's woods tour on the Voile Charger BC's, SBR and I decided that not only are these the cats ass for yoyo sessions at our favorite pow stash, they are also freaking awesome sliding versions of snowshoes... A low angle woods ski devoid of anything resembling "earning your turns" was a whole lotta fun.  I'll say it again for the skeptics... Voile Chargers rule.  

End of rant.  

TD
As they used to say on Hee Haw, SA-LUTE!

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ski Day 22 for me was in out woods working the trail and skiing.

The northwest passage, now has a working title of "shaman's way" in honor of it's creator.  The route was established, but nary a lopper or nipper had skied that part of the trail until yesterday.

After I skied the cleared part of the trail, I set off on the new route. Step turns, tele turns, stem christie with two polls in my left hand, and nippers in my right. I was using the two poles to wail on low, dead, pokey branches.  And I nipped as I went by.

It was pretty cool.  I got out to the end of the trail (really just ski tracks), put my nippers away and skied back.  I broke everything down, packed the car to travel except for my skis and did the whole run again, out and back.

Fkna it was fun as hell.

Ah yes this is a gear thread: I'm thinking I want someone to invent a ski pole that doubles as a nice heavy duty lopper.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
Ski Day 22 for me was in out woods working the trail and skiing.

The northwest passage, now has a working title of "shaman's way" in honor of it's creator.  The route was established, but nary a lopper or nipper had skied that part of the trail until yesterday.
Gotta go to know
12345678 ... 14