273 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Voile Charger Love....

Sick Bird Rider
Holy thread drift, Batman.

ML 242 FTW on that name. Personally, I'm done beer # 2 for the afternoon.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks to Noah J for pointing out the obvious.  

But just in case anyone has missed his astute observations, I have changed my signature.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Have you ever considered changing the name of this site to to one that more accurately reflects its readers and forum members?
This has been stuck in my craw worse than the time when Kirk went mad and they voted Spock captain.

TGR?  What do that special beta/testosterone mix have to do with the Tetons or Gravity or Research?

How often do Alpine Zoners get above tree line?

Epic?

I'm hoping we don't have to wait six months for NJ's next post - I want to hear his ideas for a new name.

Maybe it IS time for a change.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Maybe it IS time for a change.
Well, I'm no NJ but here is my humble suggestion:

The Ski Blog and Forum for Those Who Ski in New York State Most of the Time, Though Occasionally Go To Other Places, and a Few of Us Like to Ski, Often Tele, in the Backcountry with a Small but Vocal Minority preferring a Certain Brand of Fat Waxless Ski. And a Couple of Guys That don't Live There but Seem to Fit Right In.

Or how about:

The New York State Ski Experience
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
TD, Harv and SBR --- all good stuff

Thanks for the morning laugh

FWIW, I live in NY and ski 99.99% of the time in NY
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
If this helps I've never skied anywhere BUT NY.

I'd like to change that.

PS - there are about a bazillion little hills throughout NY and PA that I've never been to that I'd like to visit.  I used to brush them off because they didn't have a lot of vert or a ton of runs.  This site has motivated me to seriously go look into these places.  I feel the best snow and least crowds are probably lurking at some of these places.  Maybe I'm not typical but they should be paying you for the endorsement!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mike you sound like a Snow Ridge guy:

http://nyskiblog.com/blog/snow-ridge/
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Camp, Mike, and Harvey:

This is the Charger Love Thread.
You are welcome to hang out and post here, as long as you acknowledge that maybe, sometime, perhaps you might consider thinking about possibly trying a pair of Voile Charger BC's.  
(Mike, you're in; Harv, I think you might have tried Darksides - if not, do it.  
Camp, all you need to do is say you'd try 'em if you got a chance.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If I ever get the chance to try the Chargers I'll do it. BUT, they must have a fixed heel ---- that's just how I roll
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Yes, let's get this thread back on track with some Charger Love:

Ooops, wrong Charger.

Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Noah John
 Noah's back
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Noah never left.  Maybe he posted because he's pumped about the season!

If I need to try Shaman's Chargers to post in this thread, I will do it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
Noah never left.

That's true, he's been in camo
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Noah John wrote
Have you ever considered changing the name of this site to to one that more accurately reflects its readers and forum members?
The middle aged and elderly white guy's and some kid from New Jersey ski blog?
I fixed it for you.

Oh - and I am now pricing out my Charger BCs.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
If I ever get the chance to try the Chargers I'll do it. BUT, they must have a fixed heel ---- that's just how I roll
Cool.  Fixed heel, broken heel, no heel, it's all good.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
ml242 wrote
Noah John wrote
The middle aged and elderly white guy's and some kid from New Jersey ski blog?
I fixed it for you.

Oh - and I am now pricing out my Charger BCs.
Peetex, you'll be thankful.  
Now get out of here and go cycling.  Or something summer like.  (Same goes for the rest of you, especially me.  Stupid interweb..)

Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Telemark Dave wrote
Camp, Mike, and Harvey:

This is the Charger Love Thread.
You are welcome to hang out and post here, as long as you acknowledge that maybe, sometime, perhaps you might consider thinking about possibly trying a pair of Voile Charger BC's.  
(Mike, you're in; Harv, I think you might have tried Darksides - if not, do it.  
Camp, all you need to do is say you'd try 'em if you got a chance.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

TD
I read the entire thread the other day after you pimped them on another thread.  Yes - they sound good.  If I can save up my ski budget for 3 years I'll have enough to buy a pair!  Whoohooo... maybe by then I'll be more addicted to the downhill aspect of BC.  I've spent too much time on skinny skis to appreciate the EYT aspect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Betcha' you'll cave before then.. Once you try some......

"Skinny" ski touring segues seamlessly into "earn-your-turns" yo-yo sessioning when you have the right equipment.

If your lucky, you'll find a place where you have to kick and glide the approach,  then do some laps earning your turns, then ski out.
Even if the session hill is the best pow stash going, the crowds won't show on account of the ski in.  

It's all part of the same game.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Ok, so the time is approaching. Got a line on this years version BC Chargers, friend of a friend - I am adverse to paying retail. Anyway, good deal. What size is the next question? I'm thinking 181 as I have some skins I can repurpose when the going gets steep. Any thoughts?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I guess it depends on your weight, and or skiing style.  I'm 5-9, 180 max, and tend toward an aggressive/athletic style (not always pretty) - and am very glad I went with the 191's.  The Chargers have substantial tip rocker, and if you stay forwards on the ski, are very easy to turn quickly on demand.  The tails are stiff, but this is only an issue if you get in the back seat.  

SBR has the 181's - he's a touch lighter than me and although he was able to ski my 191's easily, chose to go shorter.  

I think Darkside Shamen has the 171's.   They would be crazy fast turning woods skiing machines, that's for sure.  

The advantage of the longer lengths is more floatation when schwacking/thicketeering.  Kinda' like a long snowshoe.  Longer skis are also faster on the approach on trails.  

So really, choosing the middle size based on your skins would be pretty safe.  

TD
1 ... 45678910 ... 14