1 ... 3456789 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Charger Love....

freeheeln
Darkside Shaman wrote
Harvey wrote
Ski Day 22 for me was in out woods working the trail and skiing.

The northwest passage, now has a working title of "shaman's way" in honor of it's creator.  The route was established, but nary a lopper or nipper had skied that part of the trail until yesterday.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Ski Day 22 for me was in out woods working the trail and skiing.The northwest passage, now has a working title of "shaman's way" in honor of it's creator.  The route was established, but nary a lopper or nipper had skied that part of the trail until yesterday.After I skied the cleared part of the trail, I set off on the new route. Step turns, tele turns, stem christie with two polls in my left hand, and nippers in my right. I was using the two poles to wail on low, dead, pokey branches.  And I nipped as I went by.It was pretty cool.  I got out to the end of the trail (really just ski tracks), put my nippers away and skied back.  I broke everything down, packed the car to travel except for my skis and did the whole run again, out and back.Fkna it was fun as hell.Ah yes this is a gear thread: I'm thinking I want someone to invent a ski pole that doubles as a nice heavy duty lopper.
Gear schmere.   In the end it's about stoke.   Your skiing stoke evolves due to a lot of factors...skis being a pretty good start ... Excellent reporting Harv.   Maybe sometime down the road (the unplowed one) you could create a backcountry sub forum.  Betcha a few people would hang out there...

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Some serious Charger Love going on at Blister. Great review:
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-voile-charger-bc

To test the uphill capability of the Chargers, I took them to a place I skinned before near Jay (Harv and MC2 will recall our assault of Mt. Trixie during the NSBS). The low angle XC trail was easy, then when the skin track headed up I was able to follow until the very last steep part just before the summit. So I skied down from there. No fuss, no muss.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
The Cult of the Voile Charger BC is now an open tribal secret...  
Obviously the Blister Gear crew have been lurking on HR...

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I did post this image in the TFTH thread but felt it needed a home here as well. The Charger BC is truly a go-anywhere ski:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Voile Charger Love....

Telemark Dave
Powder mag has Charger BC love
now too!

Check out this - gotta be a first, a patterned base ski in the annual buyers guide.  

http://gear.powdermag.com/buyers-guide-2015/voile-charger-bc.html

I'll say it again for the hard of hearing.

Voile Charger BC love.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Not the Charger, but The Mountaineer in Keene Valley is selling a limited number of Vectors and Vector BCs. I thought they looked pretty cool:

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Nice!   The Vectors are probably a great choice for the 'Daks, given the gnarly slide skiing options.  Just slightly skinnier than the Chargers, so a bit quicker edge to edge, and a bit better hold on underlying hardscrabble.

The special edition would make it even more of a keeper.  You getting some?

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
Telemark Dave wrote
Nice!   The Vectors are probably a great choice for the 'Daks, given the gnarly slide skiing options.  
TD
I dunno. After watching one of the guys on Chargers last year slip around I'll stick with skins. Almost all of the slides involve steeper skinning than those can handle
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Again, everyone is missing the point.  The "waxless" base does not eliminate the use of skins for steep/icy/deep climbs.  I used skins all the time with my Charger BC's.  Easy Peasy.  It's on the long approaches that the fish scale base = win.  Faster than skins every time.  WAY faster.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Skimore:  you should at least read this review.  Pretty much sums it up.  YMMV.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Not missing it. Just didn't see much benefit vs throwing a little wax on or even just using mohair skins
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
skimore wrote
Not missing it. Just didn't see much benefit vs throwing a little wax on or even just using mohair skins
And you may continue to do so. TD, myself and the other Charger/Vector BC owners will continue to show the Voile love
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Also that same approach isn't  as nice of a glide on way out with the fishscales
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
Skimore:  you should at least read this review.  Pretty much sums it up.  YMMV.

That review cites the deficiencies associated with ADK slide skiing. Slow on the 3 mile run outs and not so great on used up refrozen skin tracks. Most of time you are on a packed out hiking trail for the approach
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I'm sorry but 12 pages about a ski - any ski - borders on the obsessive-compulsive.  12 pages about a waxless ski?  That's just weird.  Almost as weird as 40+ pages about a chair lift.

This site presents a distorted and largely flawed view of NYS skiing and skiers and is dominated by people who don't live, and in many cases don't ski much, in New York State.  That's not a slam Harv - just an observation and, I think, a fairly accurate one.  Have you ever considered changing the name of this site to to one that more accurately reflects its readers and forum members?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Noah John wrote
Have you ever considered changing the name of this site to to one that more accurately reflects its readers and forum members?
There is a lot of talk internally about the name.  Mostly everyone wants me to lose the "Harvey Road" and go exclusively with NYSB.  I can't bring myself to do it.  I realize that is not your point.

Often though the names of sites don't really reflect the content.

Noah John wrote
This site presents a distorted and largely flawed view of NYS skiing and skiers and is dominated by people who don't live, and in many cases don't ski much, in New York State.  
I also am in the minority on another point.  For me this site is a blog, with a forum not the reverse. You might be surprise to know that pageviews are 50/50 split between blog and forum.

Blog content is mostly NY and some VT skiing, which reflects where NY skiers ski.  Summer is a different animal.  I want to continue to post in the off season and that requires some non-ski stuff.

I can't really control the content of the forum beyond setting up the names of the sub-forums.  As is obvious, not really into too much moderation.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Have you ever considered changing the name of this site to to one that more accurately reflects its readers and forum members?
The heavy drinkers and some kid ski blog?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ml242 wrote
Noah John wrote
The heavy drinkers and some kid ski blog?
Damn funny stuff right there!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It has potential...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 3456789 ... 14