East Coast POW

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
94 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Coast POW

PowderAssassin
What's amazing about the tug is also how DRY the snow is. So the snow to liquid ratios are REALLY HIGH! Lake effect snowfall is as dry as utah powder. So it's amazing to see that much precip there. You can have 25 to 1 ratio vs 10 to 1 average in most of northeast.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
I emailed it to you. You're welcome :)
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
You got me, have fun skiing all the powder in NH.
Pow skiing is better in VT. 6000 feet in NH has no lift serviced terrain. It's frozen rime ice and 100mph winds on the regular.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
Pow skiing is better in VT. 6000 feet in NH has no lift serviced terrain. It's frozen rime ice and 100mph winds on the regular.
Really? That sounds pretty crazy. You'd have to be nuts to go up there!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
"On the regular"=15 year old kid.

Are we sure PowAss isn't snoloco doing some preseason trolling?

Anyway, he's right. Stay far away from New Hampshire and never go there. It always sucks and is never beautiful and sunny.

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote

Anyway, he's right. Stay far away from New Hampshire and never go there. It always sucks and is never beautiful and sunny.

Another genius post. Tucks isn't safely skiable most of the time due to weather and has no lifts. It's not a ski area. It's an area that is skiable mostly during spring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerman_Ravine 
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I also thought it was odd to include Tux as a powder destination.  The vast majority of people who skis it do so in the spring and those people are a minority of skiers.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I think they need to put up orange fences to keep people from jumping off those rocks and into the trees on the side and protect against the 100 MPH regular wind.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote

Another genius post. Tucks isn't safely skiable most of the time due to weather and has no lifts. It's not a ski area. It's an area that is skiable mostly during spring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerman_Ravine
I'd go look for it if I cared enough but, weren't you the one telling people they shouldn't reference wikepedia and now you are doing just that?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Grillman
Grillman wrote
I think they need to put up orange fences to keep people from jumping off those rocks and into the trees on the side and protect against the 100 MPH regular wind.
There's a reason that is rarely skied except in spring. Educate yourself. Forget 100mph, winds get over 200mph. Just look at the mount washington observatory weather station.
Some of the people on this site are SOOO stupid. LOL
It's not called the worl'ds worst weather. There's no road up there from base in winter. You'd have to hike an incredible amount of verical feet to only ski a fraction of that. You have to hike from pinkham notch all the way in. You're risking your life just getting there and need exceptional cold weather mountaineering skills and being able to navigate in zero visibility. It's more a mountaineering trip than a skiing trip. You know nothing about this mountain. I can tell from your ignorance. Snow is super deep due to winds blowing all the snow and drifting it into the ravine from the peak of mt washington. That being said, it's rarely skiable due to avalanche/weather dangers and snow quality can suck. It's wind pack powder and can have ice all over the place thus why spring is most popular option, not like out west. Every single year people have to be rescued. This mountain has taken more lives than you can imagine and it has nothing to do with skiing
 http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php
http://www.backpacker.com/survival/natural-hazards/weather/america-s-10-most-dangerous-hikes-mt-washington-nh/

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/the-ravines/tuckerman-ravine/
http://timefortuckerman.com/routes.html

14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Too Funny!  Mocked by Grillman, the unsuspecting PowAss goes off on a useless and unnecessary rant based on what he "learned" about skiing Tucks from Wikipedia.  Priceless.  You couldn't make that $hit up......
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
JTG4eva! wrote
Too Funny!  Mocked by Grillman, the unsuspecting PowAss goes off on a useless and unnecessary rant based on what he "learned" about skiing Tucks from Wikipedia.  Priceless.  You couldn't make that $hit up......
Name what I said that is wrong. Tell me what's wrong in those links. Please educate me.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Grillman wrote
There's a reason that is rarely skied except in spring. Educate yourself. Forget 100mph, winds get over 200mph. Just look at the mount washington observatory weather station.
Some of the people on this site are SOOO stupid. LOL
It's not called the worl'ds worst weather. There's no road up there from base in winter. You'd have to hike an incredible amount of verical feet to only ski a fraction of that. You have to hike from pinkham notch all the way in. You're risking your life just getting there and need exceptional cold weather mountaineering skills and being able to navigate in zero visibility. It's more a mountaineering trip than a skiing trip. You know nothing about this mountain. I can tell from your ignorance. Snow is super deep due to winds blowing all the snow and drifting it into the ravine from the peak of mt washington. That being said, it's rarely skiable due to avalanche/weather dangers and snow quality can suck. It's wind pack powder and can have ice all over the place thus why spring is most popular option, not like out west. Every single year people have to be rescued. This mountain has taken more lives than you can imagine and it has nothing to do with skiing
 http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php
http://www.backpacker.com/survival/natural-hazards/weather/america-s-10-most-dangerous-hikes-mt-washington-nh/

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/the-ravines/tuckerman-ravine/
http://timefortuckerman.com/routes.html
How are you going to call someone on here stupid when they are mocking you for being stupid?  And you always say you don't start the name calling.  You speak a lot from researching not from experience.  In my opinion that is stupidity right there.  You coming to opening day at Snow Ridge?  Hope to see you there so I can show you how to slay some powder.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
<quote author="Glade Runner">
PowderAssassin wrote
Grillman wrote
 You speak a lot from researching not from experience.  In my opinion that is stupidity right there.  
Yes someone who researches and learns about a mountain before attempting anything on written by the forest service and other experienced people as well as learning about weather patterns on the mountain is very stupid....WTF? These are facts I'm stating. Name in those links/maps what information is wrong based on YOUR experience hiking mt washington and skiing down tuckerman
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
PowderAssassin wrote
 Educate yourself.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
<quote author="PowderAssassin">
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Grillman wrote
 You speak a lot from researching not from experience.  In my opinion that is stupidity right there.  
Yes someone who researches and learns about a mountain before attempting anything on written by the forest service and other experienced people as well as learning about weather patterns on the mountain is very stupid....WTF? These are facts I'm stating. Name in those links/maps what information is wrong based on YOUR experience hiking mt washington and skiing down tuckerman
I think we should start off by you telling us about your experience hiking/skiing Mt Washington?  Since you have all the knowledge on the subject.  Not that I have ever claimed to now have I?  But, I do have experience slaying powder at Snow Ridge, your favorite east coast hill.  So will I see you there?
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
PowderAssassin wrote
You'd have to hike an incredible amount of verical feet to only ski a fraction of that. You have to hike from pinkham notch all the way in. You're risking your life just getting there and need exceptional cold weather mountaineering skills and being able to navigate in zero visibility. It's more a mountaineering trip than a skiing trip. You know nothing about this mountain. I can tell from your ignorance. Snow is super deep due to winds blowing all the snow and drifting it into the ravine from the peak of mt washington. That being said, it's rarely skiable due to avalanche/weather dangers and snow quality can suck. It's wind pack powder and can have ice all over the place thus why spring is most popular option, not like out west. Every single year people have to be rescued. This mountain has taken more lives than you can imagine and it has nothing to do with skiing
Rog to the white courtesy phone.

Vis isn't shit everyday.
People ski it more than you think.
By "Mountaineering skills", Do you mean you have to boot straight up some of the gullies, and need to know what you're doing as far as avalanche safety? Don't consider it mountaineering until you're roped in.

SaAAAUUuppppp WHERE'S MY NET?!!? I MIGHT FALL!!

You can stick to your tree-less groomers that get tracked out in an hour.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
<quote author="Glade Runner">
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Grillman wrote
I think we should start off by you telling us about your experience hiking/skiing Mt Washington?  Since you have all the knowledge on the subject.  Not that I have ever claimed to now have I?  But, I do have experience slaying powder at Snow Ridge, your favorite east coast hill.  So will I see you there?
I can reasarch Everest and figure out it's a dangerous mountain without hiking it. Same with mt washington. I can say the chugatch range of ak gets a ton of snow without skiing it. These are facts backed up with data.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
You'd have to hike an incredible amount of verical feet to only ski a fraction of that. You have to hike from pinkham notch all the way in. You're risking your life just getting there and need exceptional cold weather mountaineering skills and being able to navigate in zero visibility. It's more a mountaineering trip than a skiing trip. You know nothing about this mountain. I can tell from your ignorance. Snow is super deep due to winds blowing all the snow and drifting it into the ravine from the peak of mt washington. That being said, it's rarely skiable due to avalanche/weather dangers and snow quality can suck. It's wind pack powder and can have ice all over the place thus why spring is most popular option, not like out west. Every single year people have to be rescued. This mountain has taken more lives than you can imagine and it has nothing to do with skiing
Rog to the white courtesy phone.

Vis isn't shit everyday.
People ski it more than you think.
By "Mountaineering skills", Do you mean you have to boot straight up some of the gullies, and need to know what you're doing as far as avalanche safety? Don't consider it mountaineering until you're roped in.

SaAAAUUuppppp WHERE'S MY NET?!!? I MIGHT FALL!!

You can stick to your tree-less groomers that get tracked out in an hour.
Awesome pic.  Looks steep just like I like it.  Can't wait to get there.  Aiming for this next spring if all goes right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
<quote author="PowderAssassin">
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Grillman wrote
I can reasarch Everest and figure out it's a dangerous mountain without hiking it. Same with mt washington. I can say the chugatch range of ak gets a ton of snow without skiing it. These are facts backed up with data.
Ok so that is a no you haven't been there.  So STFU.