East Coast POW

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
94 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Coast POW

JTG4eva!
PA, I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate you.  First, I don't pretend to be an expert on everything.  Second, education is what you are currently in high school for.  I will give you a piece of advice though.  Don't come to a site populated with experienced and educated skiers and think that you are going to educate and impress those who have both done and researched it for years with the "knowledge" you gleaned from 30 minutes on the Internet, if you even spent that long.  That advice will greatly improve you Internet forum experiences in the future.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Is tucks dangerous, yes. The reason people don't ski it much until spring is not because the wind has blown the snow off, it's due to a deep wind loaded E - NE facing snow pack that can be avi prone. The ravine itself starts several hundred feet below the summit which can be a wind blown rock garden, but all that snow ends up in the ravine. Do you need mountaineering skills to climb it safely, I'll ask my granddaughter how climbed it at age 11, hiked up with her skis and had a blast. Granted that was in April in perfect windless blue bird spring corn conditions. Tucks  head wall is steep but there is tamer and IMHO more enjoyable skiing in the Ravine than the headwall area.With tucks you really need boots on the ground before you shoot off your mouth.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Awesome pic.  Looks steep just like I like it.  Can't wait to get there.  Aiming for this next spring if all goes right.
That's not Tuckerman, BTW. Or in this time zone, for that matter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
My bad.  I thought with the way the discussion was going it was.  Where is it?  The terrain looks gnarly.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
 Do you need mountaineering skills to climb it safely, I'll ask my granddaughter how climbed it at age 11, hiked up with her skis and had a blast. Granted that was in April in perfect windless blue bird spring corn conditions. Tucks  head wall is steep but there is tamer and IMHO more enjoyable skiing in the Ravine than the headwall area.With tucks you really need boots on the ground before you shoot off your mouth.
God you have absolutely no clue.

Try it with zero visibility. You're the exact type of person that can end up dying/having to be rescued up there. Totally unprepared for what could happen. You head above that tree line you're in a different world. There's a reason this mountain has taken so many lives, yet is only around 6000 feet high. You absolutely need mountaineering skills to deal with the extreme weather. Hiking in zero visibility with winds over 100mph, rime ice forming everywhere will stress even very experienced climbers. Ground blizzards can form in a second up there. Weather is unpredictable. People had died from hyopthermia in summer up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQ4qIL--3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FM3SS-tj6I

I'm just owning you ignorant donkeys on so many topics it's kind of sad.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
PeeTex wrote
 Do you need mountaineering skills to climb it safely, I'll ask my granddaughter how climbed it at age 11, hiked up with her skis and had a blast. Granted that was in April in perfect windless blue bird spring corn conditions. Tucks  head wall is steep but there is tamer and IMHO more enjoyable skiing in the Ravine than the headwall area.With tucks you really need boots on the ground before you shoot off your mouth.
God you have absolutely no clue.

Try it with zero visibility. You're the exact type of person that can end up dying/having to be rescued up there. Totally unprepared for what could happen. You head above that tree line you're in a different world. There's a reason this mountain has taken so many lives, yet is only around 6000 feet high. You absolutely need mountaineering skills to deal with the extreme weather. Hiking in zero visibility with winds over 100mph, rime ice forming everywhere will stress even very experienced climbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQ4qIL--3g
Looks pretty awesome to me.  But, I'll go in the spring when its more ideal conditions.  As for opening day at Snow Ridge given they have a lot of snow, are you ready?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote

Looks pretty awesome to me.  But, I'll go in the spring when its more ideal conditions.  As for opening day at Snow Ridge given they have a lot of snow, are you ready?
HAHA....good luck skiing in those conditons. People complain about snow guns in their face. Try rime ice all over your goggles in 100mph winds where you can barely stand and there's avalanche dangers. What kind of moron would try to ski that? But it looks "awesome" to you. You have to have good visibility to ski tucks..There's dangers everywhere..you'll run right into rocks..common sense. Have you ever skied in 80mph winds on an exposure? LOL
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

HAHA....good luck skiing in those conditons. People complain about snow guns in their face. Try rime ice all over your goggles in 100mph winds where you can barely stand and there's avalanche dangers. What kind of moron would try to ski that? But it looks "awesome" to you.
Yea looks awesome almost like another planet up there.  Did I say I wanted to ski it moron?  No I said I'd wait for ideal conditions in the spring.  Learn to read you asshole.  If you can't read what people post here how can we accept your word that you read correctly all the research you did online about all things ski/mountain/weather related?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

HAHA....good luck skiing in those conditons. People complain about snow guns in their face. Try rime ice all over your goggles in 100mph winds where you can barely stand and there's avalanche dangers. What kind of moron would try to ski that? But it looks "awesome" to you.
Yea looks awesome almost like another planet up there.  Did I say I wanted to ski it moron?  No I said I'd wait for ideal conditions in the spring.  Learn to read you asshole.  If you can't read what people post here how can we accept your word that you read correctly all the research you did online about all things ski/mountain/weather related?
Yes I agree it's cool, but you know damn well what this thread was all about. People who don't know jack about tucks or the dangers and talking shit to me.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Yes I agree it's cool, but you know damn well what this thread was all about. People who don't know jack about tucks or the dangers and talking shit to me.
Have you ever been there to ski tucks?  I don't know how many times I have to ask the same question to get an answer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
And what about Snow Ridge?  You want to slay some powder?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
you know damn well what this thread was all about.
This thread was a shout out to Whiteface, and also the honorable tradition of beating on crappy, poorly written ski pub BS.

Somehow you guys turned it into "You Suck, No You Suck: Part 7"
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Eh, my only Tux pics are from the spring.
This is Wolverine Cirque, between Alta, Brighton, and Solitude.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Whatever. I just can't believe my Greek Peak didn't make the list
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Have you ever been there to ski tucks?  I don't know how many times I have to ask the same question to get an answer.
Of course not. Who has skied it on this forum? I don't want to hike miles to ski sub par condtions on a dangerous slope! But for people who are into that stuff, it's a great place! It's a hiking trip with a ski descent. That's what tucks is. It's rarely skiable. It's a joke to put that place on a pow destination for the EC. You could get more good pow days in the berkshires than there. lol
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
PowderAssassin wrote
I can reasarch Everest and figure out it's a dangerous mountain without hiking it. Same with mt washington. I can say the chugatch range of ak gets a ton of snow without skiing it. These are facts backed up with data.
when you get done with your reasarch try getting a life outside of researching
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
PowderAssassin wrote
God you have absolutely no clue.Try it with zero visibility. You're the exact type of person that can end up dying/having to be rescued up there. Totally unprepared for what could happen. You head above that tree line you're in a different world.
You have no fucking clue what type of person I am.Did you even read the fist few words of my post - I stated clearly it is a dangerous place ass hole.I have been there many times, you check the avi conditions and the weather before you go and if the board says low and you have a nice solid high pressure over the mountain you go. If not, just ski the Sherbie or Wildcat. You assume everyone is as clueless as you are.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
PowderAssassin wrote
Of course not. Who has skied it on this forum? I don't want to hike miles to ski sub par condtions on a dangerous slope! But for people who are into that stuff, it's a great place!
Myself, MC2, Harv, riverc0il, suds, PeeTex, to start with a few off of the top of my head. I'm sure there's at least 5x more than that.

PowderAssassin wrote
It's rarely skiable. It's a joke to put that place on a pow destination for the EC. You could get more good pow days in the berkshires than there. lol
You don't know what you're talking about.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by freeheeln
D@mn, I never realized the thousands of people who visit Tucks every spring are so lucky to not only find anything skiable, but to escape the jaws of death with their pathetic misinformed lives!

PAss.....research to impress us jackasses on the interweb is just a redonkulous waste of time and effort.  Research that leads to smart planning of well timed trips, combined with good judgement on mountain......that's the stuff that great trips to places like Tucks are made from.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Have you ever been there to ski tucks?
Of course not. Who has skied it on this forum? I don't want to hike miles to ski sub par condtions on a dangerous slope!
I'm used to Internet forums being a bunch of uninformed douchebags talking to other uninformed douchebags, but this is getting ridiculous.

If you don't want to ski Tuckerman Ravine, fine. But accept the fact that thousands of people ski it every year and maybe there's a reason for that.

If you want nets and fences on every trail, fine, but accept the fact that virtually nobody else in the entire world wants that and maybe there's a reason for that.

Until you've actually gone out and done something cool (anything!) please, for the love of God, shut the fuck up.