200 messages Options
12345 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore 12/24

Harvey
Administrator
Matt... I assume Lies has been groomed out?  How about the Darkside?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Lies has been groomed out, firm but not sketchy, very carvable!   Dark side is close 2nd pick of the day (Lower St-hang, Hull..., Lower Darby)

Did Showcase at 9am, done for the day with it, wasnt groomed and although not quite boilerplate, not fun.   Twister opened and did it multiple time 11am to noon or so,  many many guns (not a bad thing!) so fresh mm snow, lots of fun,  very well covered, too many gapers at times.    Waterfall was excellent.

Blowing on Twister, Wild Air, Sunway, bottom of Twin Fawns (NASTAR soon?)  kudos to the mountain for the effort!  Also clearing out a downed pine on Open Pit so it wont be long...

Not looking good for Chat or Burnt Ridge in the near future.   Other than one lone rock on Ruby,  no brown, very minimal thin spots on what is open.   What is open, is really open, not questionable.  Again kudos to the mountian for no false marketing.

Great day, blue sky, minimal wind except going up the straight brook quad (yeah how often does that happen).   And no crowds.....yet
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/25

adkskier
The lower mountaIn is the place to ski. The lower angle trails are holding snow better. Lies was bulletproof and dangerous. I watched decent skiers slide across the headwall as if holding on for dear life and stop before the woods. Hawkeye was only marginally better. The saving grace to Christmas day was that the crowd was light so the lower mountain didn't get skied off too early. Showcase and Twister were the picks of the day. Assuming that we get nothing from the nor' easter, going into the holiday week look for a good 3 hours of skiing for those who are ready to ski when the light turns green on the gondola.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Gore was good today. Lower mt. had hardpack but you could still set an edge.   Best run was twister with wild air second. Up top we stayed off Lies cuz we heard it was slick.  the darkside trail that were open were a blast. hullaballo was my favorite. All in all with no natural snow I wasn't unhappy. Talked to a boarder in front of the saddle who said he was in the woods. i asked if there was any snow, he said not really.    pray we get some from this storm...     let it snow!Hullaballo
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I agree Raymo.  I had a fun time skiing the Darkside trails yesterday (Sunday).  My pick was Lower Darby.  Hawkeye and Lies:  firm & fast but OK.  Twister and Wild Air on the lower mtn were very good.  Cold but beautiful day on the mtn, with great views of the High Peaks under blue skies to the north.  More pics and a short TR here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Harvey
MONDAY 12/27 - at a loss for words....only in the Adks do we lose snow in a Nor'easter, rather than gain.   Better times are ahead this week.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Today

Harvey
Administrator
From Gore 12/28 am:

We groomed Hawkeye, Lies, intermediates and beginner trails. We  avoided some windy areas.

(Snowmaking crew's safety is always  a concern. We made snow on Twin Fawns, Sunway, Wild Air and Sleeping Bear last night.)

Saddle is wind polished and we need a calm night to put that back together.

Foxlair to Wild Air or Foxlair to  Sunway or Pete Gay are best for intermediates.

Sunway Lift and POMA and J Bar are all good for the beginners and young skiers who need to be close to lodge.

Hawkeye was good yesterday.

We did not operate High Peaks, Topridge or Adk Express due to winds yesterday.

We expect to be able to operate those lifts today.

Reply | Threaded
|

Skied Sun, Mon, Tues

TomCat
Sunday was excellent. Monday was pretty bad. Pete gay was protected from the wind and skied nicely in the AM. It was difficult to stay in control on Sunway on the way to the lodge. While waiting for my wife, I was almost  blown over. It was difficult to remain upright with the wind. Once off sunway onto wild air, it was OK. Decided to call it a day at lunch. I was pleaseanly surprised at how well the mountain recovered by Tuesday.

I didn't see too much snowmaking on Sunday or Monday. I figure that on Monday making snow would be with the wind. Lots of guns blowing Tuesday.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/30

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 9:  Another Harv's Disclaimer Day.

Started by doing laps on the Sunway Chair so I could watch a lesson in progress from the air. Sweet Xman quality cord and some gunpow.

The whole front was good.

Everything that skied well yesterday was good, plus more as the sun was cooking Topridge and Lies early.

Pine Knot had really nice bumps down skiers left all day. Topridge was best it's been all week.

On the DarkSide - LSteilhang was closed and there was a conga line at Hullabaloo for much of the day.

If Uncas opened it happened after we came down at 3:15.

While high traffic areas were the slickest, I didn't really see anything I'd call ice.

(Not too many pics as I was experimenting with the continuous shutter feature. Give great pics, but for some reason they were over exposed.)

My kingdom for some snow guns on the Darkside headwalls tonight.  Probably not realistic, but a boy can dream.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
I really like the second photo.  Very artsy.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ski2moro wrote
I really like the second photo.  Very artsy.
Thank you.

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Great day on Friday, 12/31.  Lots of sun and spring conditions top to bottom.  I guess I'd rather have a powder day, but Friday was probably the next best thing.  Great day for closing out the year.
Showcase
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Does anyone know what's up at the mountain today? Summit, Dark Side and North are all closed according to the website.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
They lost a lot of snow yesterday and I would say that the flats up top will need work before they can open again.  Without wood-in there would be no other way to get to the Darkside
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Very warm again today, too. I was up in the mtns today,not skiing, and it was 43-46 degrees.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by TomCat
Pine KNot and Uncas to the Straightbrook were made impassable by large bare spots. Therefore the Summit trails were inaccessible. The alternate route to the Summit is called Wood In. It has not been opened this season. Customarily, opening that trail is a priority as it offers an alternate path to the Summit in this sort of situation or if the gondola is out of service.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded