MikePom
This post was updated on .

Counting down to Opening Day at Gore
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Gorefarmhouse
According to a longtime employee to whom I spoke with on Friday night, every white board in every office up at the mountain says November 22nd opening day!!!
We can only hope!!
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Just about every resort shoots to open earlier than they advertise.  They just set for the date a bit latter incase the weather is an A-hole.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Do I dare reset the countdown timer????  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MikePom wrote

I think so.  Looks like Jamboree this weekend.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
MikePom wrote

I think so.  Looks like Jamboree this weekend.
How about the AE2 and Sunway?  I can't wait to ride that lift.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I heard they are going to serve Jamboree with the new high speed lift.  It will be a really fast and cushy ride, but you'll have to do some hiking
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Thacheronix wrote
I heard they are going to serve Jamboree with the new high speed lift.  It will be a really fast and cushy ride, but you'll have to do some hiking
Na, they'll just turn the sunway chair up to 11.  Everything is better at 11.  

Doubt the AE2 is up for opening.  Chairs go on this week... I assume they have do so a lot of safety, load testing, and tuning stuff to get it going then it has to be certified by the state and such.  I'm sure it will be a few more weeks.  I'm sure it will be running by the 29th.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
Got to admit I blew my coffee out through my nose when I read this Thach.

The 29th sounds reasonable.  Gore speak is now saying things like "soon after opening day."
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Tragically, I will not make it up until post Turkey Day....its sad that I will miss the opener, but I trust you will all take a run for those of us who are still bound by the shackles of life.

So my timer continues to count down.  Now not for opening day, but for that first moment of freedom when this bound slave watches his boards fall to the earth, etching into the frozen granular surface and signaling release from all things non-winter.

The Countdown
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I can hear the guns at Gore this morning. Everyone getting primed for Jamboree?
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Darkside Shaman wrote
I can hear the guns at Gore this morning. Everyone getting primed for Jamboree?
I also heard them this morning and thought my ears were playing tricks on me. Groomers have already been called in to work.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I was there today from 9:30 to 2:30.  I can both ski and snowboard and I took a total is 10 gondola laps, 4 skiing and 6 snowboarding.  It is way easier to get back into shape for snowboarding than for skiing.  The snow was varible conditions with some hard packed and some loose manmade.  The great thing is they weren't blasting a bunch of guns on it.  If was a great way to start the season.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Gore did a great job last couple days getting ready for today; was there for six runs and better than I had expected.  Minimal rock issues, even on chocolate corner.  A bit tight on Sunway under the Gondi only due to the hard ice on skier's right that was untouched by today's customers.

Some fun snow on skier's left down most of Quicksilver.  Ok crowd but I expected to see more people.   Waves then more than enough room most of the morning. Only a couple out of control twin tippers so not a lot of defense (elbows up!) needed.  

Kudos to Gore workers for a good early season bonus today. I still say, all the dryland does not prepare for day one on the legs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hoser wrote
chocolate corner
LOL, cool that this has become part of the zeitgeist.

Based on Coach's WF report and the pics I saw from Gore, I'm thinking that you got half the crowd of a normal opening day... Albany DMA yes, NYC DMA no.  Certainly wished I could have been there.

Heads up from Gore, looking for at least a 3 day weekend upcoming Fri-Sun. Plans beyond TBD.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Opening on a Sunday probably drops the count from farther away

Will certainly be busier next weekend but they will gave a lot more open I would think given the forecast

The farthest away anyone I talked to were from Potsdam
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach, the new AE2 looks really nice and I can't wait to ride it.  I might try and get there on its first day in operation.  It is going to be very cushy, so are you going to try it out?  Hopefully the race held at Belleayre that your son was at gets held at Gore this year.  The AE2 will also serve as the race lift, so I am sure you would get to ride it a lot.  It is supposed to not stop as much as the old one due to a reconfigured unloading area, and will the padding will sure be an improvement over sitting on a piece of plywood on Belleayre's lifts, or the AE1.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Surprisingly good for the first day. I know they did a lot of work on Foxlair, but I can't figure out what's different. Quicksilver was very nice today.
Not all good news. The price increase for a beer in The Tannery is shocking
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'd say it was one of the nicest opening days I can recall.  Coverage was excellent, Quicksilver was fun, and as noted above no cocoa corner.  Crowd was light and it seemed like we knew half the skiers there. Great start to the season, next weekend should be outstanding.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I'd like to give some praise to Gore's snowmaking crew, very nice job for opening day!  We skied Killington on Saturday and thought the weather was spectacular and there were some nice soft bumps on Snowden, the crowds and snowmaking blasting made it not so much fun for my 10 year old.  Poor visibility and out of control skiers and riders galore!  Gore, on the other hand seemed entirely uncrowded and the lack of any guns on the open trail (yes there is only one trail, I hate that they call it 5 when it is actually only 1) made it a much better experience.  Too bad she was at ballet and couldn't join us today!  Oh well, Saturday should be great.
1234 ... 29