579 messages Options
1234567 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Chris
SIAWOL wrote
Incredibly disappointing rain and sleet here in Fulton County since this storm started Tuesday morning. Just switched to snow around 1p and accumulated maybe an inch or so as of 4p. There's still some hope of turning this thing around and picking up a few inches!

Definitely weird--we're usually a few inches ahead of Albany/Saratoga area....
Where are Ya in Fulton?  Warrensburg got 7" last night... Makes no sense.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
gondi tower 9 down 2-4"wet gack. above that ,nice snow under a stiff,ripable layer- wax paper like.topridge  had 10ish sweet fluffy with layer on top.some other stuff was hehe. wasnt so much raining as freezing mist,everything was getting glazed.lifties at bottom of 10 told us gondi ,ae2 was shut down, but that ride took 20 min, by then all roped off.baseing up well.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Uncas was sweet and deep...sort of
Anyone ski Pine Knot?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
sudsnbumps wrote
Anyone ski Pine Knot?
groomed ,firm cord
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Getting some txts. (Internet is out). It's nuking in North Creek at 1000 feet. Several inches at low elevation since lift close.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Starting last night this area had no internet, no cell service, and only local landline calls. It was like the Stone Age.

Detachable lifts were closed by 11 this morning. Freezing rain. Did not get much snow overnight because the thermometer was just north of that magic number. Only 4 degrees colder tonight and it's snowing pretty nice.

I didn't want to believe the NWS forecast for here, but they got it right.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris

Nothin but green at Gore...

5" on roof of open pit Grill roof.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ I feel like this is a part of the trip report I could do without.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gore has dropped the ropes on glades that are accessible from the open terrain.

North Quad and Straightbrook planned for Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Today was amazing. It was a late start for the lifts.  Everything is fair game. Fog was putting a fast very breakable crust down low.

Woods skied well. Winter is here. Summit opening Tmrw is going to be a party

Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Thanks, wish I wasn't working today and tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The snow is really good right now at Gore.  It seems to have dried out really nicely.  Trees. :)

Will post a few pics later.
Reply | Threaded
|

SteveSam
Nice day out today. Uncas, Topridge, and Twister were all fun. Summit opens tomorrow.

Summit View

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
When are they going to start snowmaking on Burnt Ridge?  They are blowing on Rumor which IMO isn't nearly as important as getting all 3 high speed lifts open for Christmas.  I may come up for a day, but only if BR is open.  Hopefully they start soon, good temps and no thaws coming.  This could be a great Christmas for Gore on the condition that they can get all the lifts on line.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Harvey
midwinter conditions for saturday. highpines skied great. so did darkside. i don't think i have ever skied them so early. natural snow on chati. skied like mrg. unfortunately, highline and grim reaper are almost unskiable to due new, large, and multiple blowdown. also, the pine seedlings have matured significantly along with whippers and their ilk. will require major work if it is return to  skiable terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
whales on topridge,uncas. chati bumped. lower mt groomers ripping good. woods soft.great skiing with every body
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
We were there from 9:30 to 3:30 on Saturday.  They opened the North Side as soon as we got off the AE II and so were among the first down Sleeping Bear.  The ungroomed, unpacked snow -- it seemed about 8-12 inches on top of a base of icy slush and crust -- was challenging for me and the girls.  We simply don't know how to ski it.  My oldest had the most difficult time with it.  After a few runs it and Tahawus were more packed down and easier to handle.   There was a delay in running the gondola and opening up Topridge and High Peaks, so the North Side was kind of crowded in the a.m., with some bombers.  We took an early lunch at 11:30 and when we went back up just after 12, we had the North Side to ourselves.

Our first experience with the wind as you approach the saddle in the AEII.  The girls insisted on the gondola after that.

There is what seems to be substantial snow cover everywhere, and the staff I spoke to likened it to mid-February conditions.  Not sure if that is accurate or not, but there it is.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by freeheeln
Woohoo! Great skiing all weekend.

I can't remember much December skiing where I was AVOIDING the guns.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
Our first experience with the wind as you approach the saddle in the AEII.  The girls insisted on the gondola after that.

There is what seems to be substantial snow cover everywhere, and the staff I spoke to likened it to mid-February conditions.  Not sure if that is accurate or not, but there it is.

Petronio
Imagine that wind when it's below zero

Describing it as mid-February conditions is almost an understatement. I've never seen it this good this early in the season. And there have been some seasons when it has never been as good as it is right now.

Glad you enjoyed it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i second that woohoo. it was great skiing with harvey and his posse. best early season in a very long time.
1234567 ... 29