12345 ... 29
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Z
This post was updated on .
The regional Kanadhar is at Hunter this yr and then state finals is at West Mt.  Not looking forward to Hunter on a weekend.  I have always wanted to ski West but having the most important race of the season there in mid March seems to be pretty darn risky.  I would assume Gore or WF are in the back up plan.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
Not all good news. The price increase for a beer in The Tannery is shocking
What did it jump to?  Last I knew it was 6.50 or something around that.  If it goes any higher I'll just start brown bagging after ski beer or wine.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Footer wrote
Spongeworthy wrote
What did it jump to?  Last I knew it was 6.50 or something around that.  If it goes any higher I'll just start brown bagging after ski beer or wine.
$7.50 for a Bear Naked Ale. Time to bring a flask.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Spongeworthy wrote
Footer wrote
Spongeworthy wrote
$7.50 for a Bear Naked Ale. Time to bring a flask.
Ouch.  Well, at least Gore is really good about allowing a BYOB policy as long as you don't take it into the Tannery.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
The race lift at Hunter is the E-Lift in Hunter One.  It never has a line, but it doesn't have any padding whatsoever.  Hunter in March shouldn't be that bad either.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
An "educated guess" for Gore terrain:

Friday:

All of Sunway.
Quicksilver.
Foxlair.
Ruby.  
Showcase to Sleighride.

By Sunday:

Showcase to 2B.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That's cool ! Nice thing about Gore early season is those are some long runs. Great leg X / " time on snow ". You can rack up good early season vert lapping those runs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ski Day 1: Today was what you would normally consider "good" conditions for the day after Thanksgiving.

The gun pow was solid considering it was 25 degrees and conditions under the guns were very fun. And there it seemed like at least half of what was open was being blow. Stuff not getting powluv was ok.

You could see what Mike was doing, basically making sure the he could open his primary opening day route work, on Friday, after the forecast warmth.

I actually saw Mike at EOD, I forgot to ask him about the cost of airlifting out the Gondi Towers.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
creamy
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Shaman convinced that it was totally worth skiing, and arriving 60 mins after opening was best.

Both recommendations paid off nicely.  After a cloudy sunrise we saw peaks of sun below, but the top of bear still in fog.

By 10:30 the sun was out in full force and temps were in the 40s.

Freeheeln on Wild Air

The manmade needs no transition time to approximate corn.  Creamy is right.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Anyone ski today?
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Six runs and done, boring, same as last week. AEII nice, but they had guns blowing right into it. Fairly crowded for terrain open.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
And from a different perspective...Got to the mountain at 8:15 and on the Gondi just after the initial push.  Grooming was great except for the bottom off Quicksilver which was hard pack but will hold up great for the future.  Once AE II opened we kept going back and forth between the gondi...It is November 28th people and beggars can't be choosers.  With the one lower exception snow was fantastic.  I skied under the guns and in the pow to skiers left of the elements until the creeks started showing...The kid was flying through the middle away from the guns...yes the three runs get old but we got in more than 10 before noon...when it got really crowded.  The bumps were really nice along the sides on sleighride and Wildair and really nice in the middle of Quicksilver.  Spoke with MP and he said they will be working on headwaters until they can get the snow machines up high and then will light up the towerguns on both bear and summit.  He said they can get a lot going up top with the new tower guns.  With one little blip early this week (mike said good chance to give the snowmakers a little break).  then back at it.  Pray we don't get one of those...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I thought the skiing was quite good on Friday given how early in the season it is.  Definitely the most crowded it's been so far this season, but still manageable.  You could have the trail to yourself on one run and then the next run it would be like this:

Fox was great, as was Sleighride/Wild Air.  Otter Slide turned into something of a killing field at the end of the day with more downed than upright skiers.
AEII is great, really a big improvement over the old triple.  We tracked the speed against the gondi, both seemed to be moving at the same speed.  Nice crisp day to be out.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It was much better today than yesterday. Softer snow, a lot less people, more relaxing. Showcase was open (but only one groomer width wide for some reason), so it took a lot of stress off of the Sunway corridor. The Deuce didn't open until 10:00 or so, but the lines were a lot shorter than yesterday, which was nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
thought the skiing was pretty good,got a bit heroish as the day went on.crowds were negligible . yea ,more terrain would be nice but we have had less terrain at this time before .
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Facebook says they're going to start blowing the summit.

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
My HUD logged in 11,780 vert on Saturday, despite the body count which at times looked like a horde of thrashing zombies.  Sunday as reported softened up in terms of crowds and surface, broke out my Monoski for first time and it rocked.  Of course more terrain would be great but lets face it, compared to some openers the mountain was stellar.  AEII is faster trip up than the Gondi which accounted for the 11K+Vert no doubt.

Summit guns, yeah man!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
new snow was thick. groomed stuff was decent ,tho not far from setting up.  should contribute to setting up a base.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
freeheeln wrote
should contribute to setting up a base.
Fantastic. That is good news.
12345 ... 29