579 messages Options
12345678 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

64ER
snoloco wrote
When are they going to start snowmaking on Burnt Ridge?  They are blowing on Rumor which IMO isn't nearly as important as getting all 3 high speed lifts open for Christmas.  I may come up for a day, but only if BR is open.  Hopefully they start soon, good temps and no thaws coming.  This could be a great Christmas for Gore on the condition that they can get all the lifts on line.
Sno,

We must have been very good this year, 'cause why else would Santa deliver such a awesome early Christmas present?
Burnt Ridge will be the snowmaking focus after the Summit, (it's an elevation/terrain thing, I'll show, tell & demo when you show up) meanwhile, the gnarly nasties are getting their due, they need it to open. It's always a great Christmas at Gore, rain, snow, sun, what have you; all depends on the company you keep up with.

Ski you on Rumor soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
i second that woohoo. it was great skiing with harvey and his posse. best early season in a very long time.
Awesome to ski with you too.

Must correct though... If there's a head to that posse I ain't it. I am aloong for the ride.  Shaman's posse maybe.

Killkare was sweet today, I think I have a shot of it. BRB
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Skied Sat & Sunday. Saturday was an unbelievable day. Bluebird and soft all around. I'm not usually in the trees with no worries this time of year, but this weekend was no problem. A true East Coast powder day for sure. Sunday was for the leftovers. I got a late start due to a double xmas party Sat. night so I missed the crew. Still, the Dark Side was great with all the soft natural. I don't think I've ever skied the DS Glades, KHS, or BBA this early in the season. Good stuff.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey, I happened to be following you down the access road on Sunday and you totally drive like you're from NJ.

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
For being 3-4 days after the storm the mountain was incredible just like every is saying.  

Lower Steilhang was a blast yesterday morning, When the opened up the ungroomed under North Quad that was a nice bonus as well..  The rock on Northstar was very fun to boost off.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Sorry to be slowin you down or weavin or whatever I was doing Yukon.  Two nights of skiing til midnight and a some unplanned "adventure"... let's just say I'm still not caught up.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Just messing around. It's all good. Glad you had fun and made it home safe.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Still no snowmaking on Burnt Ridge.  Gore needs to get with the program and open that area ASAP.  Losing a high speed lift for Christmas week is not acceptable with all the great weather they have been getting.  Whatever, still better than MC which doesn't have any decent trails open.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
snoloco wrote
Still no snowmaking on Burnt Ridge.  Gore needs to get with the program and open that area ASAP.  Losing a high speed lift for Christmas week is not acceptable with all the great weather they have been getting.  Whatever, still better than MC which doesn't have any decent trails open.
Bare spots were everywhere Wednesday. Snowmaking is dependent on the temperature. It's been too warm all week to blow snow.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
BR isn't typicaly open till after new years unless we get a big natural snow
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They should really change their priorities.  I would gladly trade the painfully long and slow North Quad or the rickety falling apart Dark Side chair for BR on Christmas.  I think that they would try and get it open by 12/26, but I don't know.  The AE2 is going to eclipse the BR lift hours really quick, even though the BR lift is 6 years older.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Mike told me he didn't think Gore could handle all of the Mountain Creek passholders who'd flood the place if the BRQ was running, since they got nothing going down there.

Dude you got to get your own mountain so you can load it up with HS lifts and get it all open by Christmas. And don't dis Mt Peter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Today was a total crunchfest.  All that soft stuff yesterday hardened up to boilerplate.  Late start for us, glad for it.  We did 10AM-3PM.  By the end of day it was looser.  Snow report was the big lie today.  They left a lot of ropes up due to the amount ice/hard pack up top.  Only thing open up top was cloud to headwaters.  Pine knot was the only run open on top ridge.  Showcase and Sunway/quicksilver were it on the main face.  AE2 was spinning but it was a COLD rid passed cold ass pass so it was to be avoided.  Topridge is a wreck (viewed from chair).  Compared to what it was when I was there Monday they really lost some ground.  Really good base out there but we need some snow in a bad way.  Guns were running today on lower twister and a heard them running a few other places.  No glades in play.  We won't see that again till we hit another dump.  Kind of makes me wish they would have left the hardware where it was when before the last storm and just kept it running.  Everything is in rather shabby shape.  They are working, but mother nature really swung the other way.  

Pray/vibes/dance for snow people.  
Reply | Threaded
|

schneiski
Morning All, I'm new to the forum.  We had a blast as well last Saturday.  Unfortunately we weren't one of the fortunate ones who got "stuck" up at the top, but when we did get up there, it was still fantastic.  From Footer's report, it looks like the great start to the season has taken a step back.  I was thinking of heading up Sunday afternoon and would be interested in hearing any reports on conditions.  Happy skiing!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Bluebird. Firm, fast, & fun. Lies was opened and groomed. Lies early and Uncas late (in the sun) were the way to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
sounds like i'll be keeping my heels down sunday
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Today was... interesting.  Twister should not be open in the condition it is in.  Grass sticking up everywhere.  Up top Lies skied well though it needs some serious grooming to get the chunk out.  Cloud has very little coverage and the rock situation on the hairpin is really bad.  Uncas has very good coverage and skied well.  They are blowing snow on the darkside like no tomorrow.  

However...

GONDI WENT DOWN AT 12:30pm-ish and never came back.    Luckily they were able to crank it and get it unloaded.  

Reply | Threaded
|

schneiski
Sunday was pretty good.  It was a good day to practice quick turns down the edge of the trails.  Chatiemac was in surprisingly good shape.  Lower Darby was also a blast - there were huge whales of edgeable man-made snow all over the place.  Good times were had by my son and me!  They were pounding the upper part of Wild Air and the lower part of Showcase with the guns. Now we just have to pray that they don't get too much rain this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
schneiski wrote
It was a good day to practice quick turns down the edge of the trails.
LOL ^^This is my kinda glass half full kinda thinkin.

Welcome schneiski.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by schneiski
Why are WF and Gore's gondolas having so many issues recently.  I thought they rebuilt the Gore gondola's gearbox this summer, but it doesn't seem to have worked out.  There have been like 2 or 3 times it has been down this year and the WF gondola has been down almost all week and is still down indefinitely.
12345678 ... 29