evergreen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
So you find it odd 2 different places with drastically different climates and snowfall totals has different conditions?  Or that upper mountain and lower mountain has different conditions?  I don't find either to be odd.  You should work on your jokes because they aren't very funny.
Nope.  Same mountain (Gore), same date (Sunday 3/15).  But it's no biggie, so don't be gettin' your panties all in a knot about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Did you not agree with me on Sundays conditions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
....and back on topic.... actual conditions....

Really great day today.  Hit the gondala at 10:30am.  31 degrees at the top of bear.  Nearly everything got the treatment last night.  Its that week were all the french canadians show up so the mountain was a bit busier.  Entire mountain was covered with nice loose stuff over hard pack.  Nice and edgable.  No ice to be seen.  Twister, showcase, lies, Hawkey, Uncas, and Chatie all skied excellent.  Went over to the darkside, not really worth it.  After lunch it creaped above freezing and things really loosened up.  We ended up lapping Uncas probably 6-7 times.  Easily the best groomed non powder day conditions I have had this year.  

....Then that came to a grinding halt.  At about 2:45pm we got onto the topridge chair.  Just after we got past the ravine the lift slammed to a stop.  We sat there for about 10 minutes until it started moving again... very slowly obviously on its backup engine.  It was dropping a chair every 30 seconds or so.  All in all it took about 45 minutes to get to the top.  They ended up taking the people that had crowded at the bottom of the lift down the work road back to the base.  

It was warm so no one really complained...  only real issue is I didn't have any beer in my coat ready to go.  Really glad it was not a cold windy day.  Would have been a long ride.  

We successfully got off and got 3 more runs down a mash potato lower mountain.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Objective assessment of Gore today: good to excellent - quite edgeable everywhere, no wind, agreeable temperatures.

That's all I'm going to say, but I bet the snarky a-holes still go to town on it
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Spongeworthy wrote
Objective assessment of Gore today: good to excellent - quite edgeable everywhere, no wind, agreeable temperatures.

That's all I'm going to say, but I bet the snarky a-holes still go to town on it
As long as you don't mention the alternate parking or offer up a superlative, you should be okay.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Skied from 1030 to 2. We were not in a rush to get there with the early weather report calling for light rain and raining in Saratoga.  Very soft and mushy at the bottom right off the bat.  We headed to the top.  Again Chattiemac and Hawkeye were softening up a bit but today I'd say Hawkeye skied better and it was the bottom of Chattiemac not the top today that had the nicer snow.  Light snow fell throughout.  No big accumulations, but it was fun to ski in it.  Clouds low down affected visibility significantly.  Winds picked up and temps were dropping and that made the previously soft snow get hard once again.  Again, no glades and Rumor not open at all.  There was racing on Echo, so we never headed over to Burnt Ridge.  The Dark Side showed hard pack snow as well as the North Quad, so it was one and done over there.  Lies was softened mid-day and a joy to ski, but I"m sure hardened up, like everything else, once that wind kicked up.  Top Ridge was soft and enjoyable, but they've lost a lot of snow on skier's left and there is a large brown spot starting to show up in the middle of the run, bottom third, starting to show through, so hopefully they can groom it up a bit to keep that covered, otherwise it won't be long before that's closed.  Wherever we could look in on glades, there were large brown patches of no snow or large ice collections, so.......

Expect it will be hard and fast tomorrow as the temperature is supposed to drop overnight in to tomorrow.  

Guys at Alpine Ski Shop in Saratoga were telling me to get ready for a sick day next week, as some of the nicest weather will be then.  

See you Thursday.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Thanks...that's what I think and I only have tomorrow morning, sooo, sharpening my WF Skis
50k vert by noon   not my kind of skiing but I need to get out
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Extreme Wind, Cold, Barely edgable hard pack, slow gondola.  Pretty much summed up today.  Wind was insane today.  I was suprised the Gondala was running.  Any power on the runs got blown into the woods.  I actually had to paddle at one point to keep myself moving down Ruby.  Bailed early.  Back up friday when it warms up.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Footer wrote
Extreme Wind, Cold, Barely edgable hard pack, slow gondola.  Pretty much summed up today.  Wind was insane today.  I was suprised the Gondala was running.  Any power on the runs got blown into the woods.  I actually had to paddle at one point to keep myself moving down Ruby.  Bailed early.  Back up friday when it warms up.
You should have gone to the summit, as it was perfect soft edgeable corduroy!! Lies was the trail of the day, but the whole summit was amazing
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
  Bailed early.  
yea me too
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
I ran lies, Chatie, and Hawkeye and never really fell in love.  Tree lines even felt a bit bare.  Decent... but not want I really want to ski at this point in the season.  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Skied Gore Paddys day and today with my son and grandson .  i got 16 runs each day and the boyz got 24 runs we skied till about 3 each day

ma Natch threw everything at us Paddys day Rain , fog , high winds , driving snow  and snow from the mid mtn down was amnk , chowda and harbor chop . We had a pretty faiir day rhe boys styed up top and i did the northside and twister , showcase ,qiucksilver areas most of the day. i found the borth side to be somewhat protected from the wind .

We enjoyed ourselves BUT i absolutely have to get off my damn race style skis in this harbor chop  and mank . My son has new Cromson TI s and they handlesd it but my Atomic sx 10 ,s were friggen gawd awful inthis stuff so i guess new wider boards will be purchased soon  git to get off stiff as board 65 mm wide battleships and get into the rockered rip and tail scene . My son tested bot his sx 11's and the crimson ti s to do an objective comparison IN THESE CONDITIONS and he found the same issue with the 11's whereas the crimson tis were the RIGHT tool ....." So we hit the shops in search of my next ski toy

TODAY however was a different scene the winds were insane i am 6'1"" 200 lbs and on the Ruby connectee the damn wind slowed me to a crawl , i thought Tremblant had wicked wind but today at Gore was a challenge . Down near the Saddle it was all blown off and strictly white ice ... Saw some carnage and a guy take a sled ride after a major biff on the glacier .

BUT that said the Atomic SX 10 were The RIGHT tool for the condition s , i had a really fun day charging down twister and the other front siders and had a huge smile at the end of the day .. So all in all Ma. Natch gave us a run for our money BUT we had yet another fun roadshow at gore over the past couple days ... Life is good , just glad to be able to still be out there at damn near 72
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
Footer wrote
  Bailed early.  
yea me too
I believe it was more of a flinch
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Darkside Shaman wrote
freeheeln wrote
Footer wrote
  Bailed early.  
yea me too
busted   I did take fixedheeln to lunch, avoided the cold and cold shoulder.  
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
freeheeln wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
freeheeln wrote
Footer wrote
  Bailed early.  
yea me too
Wise decision.

Spring-Ski with you and the Alpinist this May, err..., June.

All the best. Ski you on the Hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
64ER wrote
freeheeln wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
freeheeln wrote
Footer wrote
  Bailed early.  
yea me too
Wise decision.

Spring-Ski with you and the Alpinist this May, err..., June.

All the best. Ski you on the Hill.
'you know I'm crazy but I ain't real dumb, oh no'
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Today was the nicest of the three days(Sun, Tues, Thurs) that we skied this week.  Blue skies all day, but cooler temps again, so didn't see any mashed potatoes today at the bottom.  Edgeable hard packed and loose granular wherever we went.  Darby, Echo, Sagamore, Chattiemac, Open Pit, Hawkeye Pine Knot, Top Ridge, Lies, all skied nicely.  Not too many people.  This is Canadian winter school break week, but I think there were less Canadians than last year, probably due to the dollar's strength.  It's a good time to go during the week, as I think they try to keep everything open when the Canadians are here.  Sometimes on weekdays, you'll see North Side or High Peaks chair closed but not this week.  All the glades closed and wherever we looked in, on glades you see big bare spots or frozen hard pack or ice, so I don't know if we'll see any glades re-open.  Rumor was a glistening ice field from the distance, but I'm sure when it warms up, it's going to loosen to bumped up goodness.  Forecast in Saratoga is for an inch or two of snow tomorrow, so hopefully the mountain will see some of that to freshen things up.  The groomers are doing a great job moving snow over the brown spots so almost everything(except glades) remains in play.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Went up yesterday/friday.  Still hard pack... just less wind.  Still good coverage but we either need more snow or warmer temps.  Winter either needs to shit or get off the pot.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Skied till noon today...everything was groomed out well and most held thru morning with a pretty nice crowd this late in the season.  We went over to Burnt Ridge as soon as it opened and lapped Sagamore until people showed up.   Echo was groomed nice and fast.  I was with my youngest and basically chased her all morning trying to keep up. Ex racer that absolutely loved today's conditions.  We hit Lies pretty late, 11 ish and it was still edgeable and fairly soft in spots.  It snowed a little and hopefully will snow more tonight.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 29