classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
579 messages Options
1 ... 20212223242526 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

BenedictGomez
I was extremely impressed with how well Gore skied on Saturday considering it's been so long since a solid snowfall.  It was a pleasant surprise to say the least, as virtually the entire mountain was in great shape (made it a point to hit every area, save Little Gore).  Though the glades are going to be hurting badly if fresh snow doesnt come soon.  Lots of rocks, roots, random exposures, thin cover, and ice shelfs already.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

schneiski
Skied Sunday with my son.  Overall, as others said, the mountain skied very well considering the lack of snow of late.  Temperature was nice - ~25 F.

Parked at the ski bowl and did a few runs on the glades there. The snow was a little crusty and grabby - must have gotten above freezing on Saturday - but coverage is still good. They had 46er closed, not sure why - coverage still looks good.

Ran over to BR and did Barkeater and it was in good shape.  The Cirque Glades were closed again - anyone know why they aren't opening this run?

Went to the top and did a few runs on Chatty Glades, Straightbrook Glades, and one on lower Rumor (cut over from Double Barrel). Rumor was OK, some hardpack and ice. Glades skied well, but showing signs of traffic.  Straightbrook Glades were the best of the day, especially if you stayed on the skiers right and popped out at the bottom of Chatty, rather than coming out on Double Barrel.

Finally headed back to BR and Ski Bowl. Ate a late lunch and then went to do a few more runs at the Ski Bowl. I was extremely frustrated because all the Ski Bowl glades were closed by 2:30!  Why can't they keep the trails open until closing!!!!

Hopefully we'll get our usual March storm and finish the season with some awesome spring conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
 The patrol staff is very low at the ski bowl so they have to start closing trails early to get everything  swept by lift closing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Went up yesterday.  Got a bit of a late start.  Went straight up top.  Probably 45 degrees by the time I got up there.  Was riding on fresh CH10.  Hawkeye and lies both were really mash potato but skied great.  Few bare spots.  Uncas was about the same condition though lower on the run there was more corn.  Did foxlair to quicksilver a few time.  Snow started getting slow towards end of quicksilver.  Headed over to Sagamore and did a few over there.  Coverage is good with some patchy spots but snow skied great.  On the flipside Echo has some drainage issues and some very slow spots.  Later in the afternoon I headed over to the darkside thinking I would get that great afternoon corn over there.  I was VERY wrong.  Darkside was a sheet of ice.  Both lower darby and hullabaloo were not even edgable.  Really wish they would have ran some cats over there, would have saved the day for me.  
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Apparently I missed a great "Spring" skiing day yesterday. Things really set up over night with the cold and the wind. You could really only ski groomers today and the summit trails never really softened up. Lies & rumor stayed closed (ungroomed) and I'm sure were rock solid. The lower mountain skied a little better, and softened up from about the beginning of Quicksilver down.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
It was a noisy day with the wind and the scratching of skis or boards on hard snow that in many areas never softened up.   Glades never opened and Rumor and Lies were closed as well, no doubt too icy.  The best snow was down low on the trails that see a lot of snow making as that stuff softened up nicely from the steady sun that was seen all day.  The top of Chattiemac softened due to the direct sunlight and I bet Hawkeye and Chattiemac will get all bumped up if we get a few warmer, sunny days.  Watch out for some brown spots on Chattiemac though!  Top Ridge was closed and looks real thin on skiers left as I rode up on the Top Ridge lift.  Bet that doesn't stay open much longer.  One benefit of the cold and wind and shadows was that it made short work of the famous Gore horizontal on Cloud over to the Saddle! ;) Hoping we get some snow this weekend and not rain to freshen things up a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
How do folks think the conditions will be the week between Palm Sunday and Easter?  Kids are off and weekends are full up until then . . . hoping it will be a halfway decent end to the season for us.  Did not get up there as often as I would have liked  . . . *!*%!** family obligations and school activities!

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Skied for a couple of hours and the wind made it somewhat unpleasant so we cut it short.  Grooming has covered up most of the bare spots I saw on Thursday, but the Arena is getting really bare on some spots beneath the gondola.  Rumor was not open.  Lots of stuff on top was windswept and icy, though Chattiemac again softened up some as well as Hawkeye.  Lies was pretty icy.  No glades open at all.  TopRidge closed again.  I was surprised that Uncas was okay.  See you again Tuesday.

As far as how it will be at Easter, the saving grace will be that it is early this year!  

If we get a warmup, things could go quickly I think!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
How do folks think the conditions will be the week between Palm Sunday and Easter?  Kids are off and weekends are full up until then . . . hoping it will be a halfway decent end to the season for us.  Did not get up there as often as I would have liked  . . . *!*%!** family obligations and school activities!

Petronio
I swear the Gods, friends and events all conspired to keep me off the slopes this season, there was no end to the ammount of crap that kept poping up to gobble up my free time, we are heading to WF & Gore for the spring break, praying for some great weather.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
The kids had Sunday school this morning, but we headed up late morning to get some runs in.  It was a 4 & done kind of day.  Worst conditions we've skied all season, and we haven't missed a weekend since opening.  Frozen gran with a side of ice and wind. One benefit of our late arrival was that various friends had guinea-pigged the summit for us and told us not to bother. So we had that going for us. Conditions were so bad, it actually made it fun in a twisted kind of way.  I guess that's the benefit of a pass - if it sucks, you can laugh about it.  Still a day in the mountains though, and that's always good.
It's got to either snow or get warm for the skiing to be good, let's hope for one or the other next weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Felt the same way as you Jeff!  So much was closed and what was open was kinda' crappy, we just felt like we were forcing it, so we bagged it for our Mozarella/pesto paninis at Café Sarah! :D
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
gebbyfish wrote
Felt the same way as you Jeff!  So much was closed and what was open was kinda' crappy, we just felt like we were forcing it, so we bagged it for our Mozarella/pesto paninis at Café Sarah! :D
Days like this make you tough.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
The kids had Sunday school this morning, but we headed up late morning to get some runs in.  It was a 4 & done kind of day.  Worst conditions we've skied all season, and we haven't missed a weekend since opening.  Frozen gran with a side of ice and wind. One benefit of our late arrival was that various friends had guinea-pigged the summit for us and told us not to bother. So we had that going for us. Conditions were so bad, it actually made it fun in a twisted kind of way.  I guess that's the benefit of a pass - if it sucks, you can laugh about it.  Still a day in the mountains though, and that's always good.
It's got to either snow or get warm for the skiing to be good, let's hope for one or the other next weekend.
We make it to Gore once or twice a ski season and unfortunately, picked yesterday to be there.  I was watching the weather reports earlier in the week and hoped that Gore would get 4+ inches of new snow over the weekend.  Didn't happen :-(.  I don't have much else to add to your comments except that you are spot on 100%.  It was either icy runs or mushy runs and not much in-between.  We did 8 runs but felt after 4 that if we were closer to home, we'd have called it a day too.  Foxlair was probably the best run of the day for us.

Our first time earlier in the season at Gore was a lot of fun, plenty of powder and and an added bonus was that it was a free ski day for us McCauley season pass holders.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say.  Guess we all died just a little bit yesterday!   Hoping for better conditions on Tuesday and Thursday!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
We chose Gore yesterday to burn up some tickets.  Took my friends 6 year old daughter and fiance who are both beginners.  We stayed on the lower mountain where it was soft.  Didn't expect glades to be open so we weren't let down.  Turned out to be a good day for what we expected and used the day for.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Glade Runner wrote
Took my friends 6 year old daughter and fiance who are both beginners.
Wow, isn't 6 a bit young to be engaged?

Glade Runner wrote
We stayed on the lower mountain where it was soft.
And from the MRG thread...
Glade Runner wrote
Not ice or hard like Gore yesterday.
So was it soft or was it icy and hard at Gore yesterday?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
That would be 2 separate people dumbass.  Both beginners but, the kid is already doing glades.  It was both soft and hard and icy.  Soft down low and hard icy up top.  I swear you idiots can't read.  Maybe a few of you should seek a reading comprehensive class or something.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Glade Runner wrote
That would be 2 separate people dumbass.
Sorry to have offended, Francis.  I assumed the joke was obvious.

Glade Runner wrote
It was both soft and hard and icy.  Soft down low and hard icy up top.  I swear you idiots can't read.  Maybe a few of you should seek a reading comprehensive class or something.
My reading comprehension is just fine.  I found it odd that you would describe the conditions completely differently in 2 different threads.  Carry on.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Pretty sure he was making a joke.

Relax.... Deep breaths....
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
So you find it odd 2 different places with drastically different climates and snowfall totals has different conditions?  Or that upper mountain and lower mountain has different conditions?  I don't find either to be odd.  You should work on your jokes because they aren't very funny.
1 ... 20212223242526 ... 29