579 messages Options
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

freeheeln
Conditions 3/2
Mtn was in great shape.Skiing was fast and fun.Very windy, lift 10 was closed as a result. A little light blowpow helped things.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Lift 10?
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
You know how the mountain is skiing right now? Like it hasn't gotten any appreciable snowfall in about 2 weeks. Shocker. All in all though coverage pretty good provided expectations are set accordingly.

Starting to enter a little freeze/thaw zone so most morning runs are on the firm side--especially any bumps and woods. Please don't complain that their too bony or firm...you get what you get right now.

I did get a little, ahem, "coaching" from patrol on Saturday who astutely noticed that I started down a trail after they did, exited before they did, and didn't pass them along the way....was totally fair criticism IMHO. As discrete as I was trying to be and out of view from John Q. Public, they saw me on both sides and were training some new patrollers too...

But the joke's on them as I am now posting a SECRET entrance! If you go part way down Hawkeye there is an entrance on skier's left that takes you past double barrel and into Rumor!  Just kidding--MC2 and Harv I'm with ya---info not for public consumption---not elitist, just doesn't end well. See: Upper Newtons, which is just trashed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by gebbyfish
gebbyfish wrote
Lift 10?
The lift numbers are sort of a "secret" shared by patrol, liftys, and others.
When my wife was a lifty even she wouldn't share the "secret" with me.
I know the Adirondack Express is # 1. I think the High Peaks double is # 6.

I just sent a FOIL request to ORDA. I'll share the list when I get it.

And I guarantee you I WILL get it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
I'll guess it is the North Quad, just giving numbers to all the lifts at Gore as listed on their site.  

I guess this is just another one of those "secrets".
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Wednesday 3/4 - spectacular
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Thursday 3/5 - Cold, Mid-Winter conditions. Groomed trails skied nicely. Rough ride on ungroomed trails that set up overnight. Anything with the little bit of untouched fresh snow from the other day was really good, including certain woods. Cold fingers and toes were the special of the day.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
In reply to this post by gebbyfish
The lifts all have numbers as when they were installed. So the orginal lift that was where the adirondack express is was the first lift on the mt. But there is an exception in the ski bowl.  AE2-1, north quad-2, sunway double-3, high peaks double-6, straight brook quad-7, northwoods gondi-8, topridge triple-10, hudsons triple-12, ski bowl triple-13, the other lifts 4,5,9,11,14,15, are in the base area and tubing park. Don't tell anyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
I forgot one, Burnt Ridge Quad is number -11
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Duck T. R.
12-11-2-6-7 FTW.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
http://nyskiblog.com/forums/#nabble-td4056507
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Day 30: Today was really good. I was surprised how quiet the snow was.

Groomers were really good and so were the bumps, once it warmed up.

Big news for us was that Neve skied Tahawas trees, twice.  So fun.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Little kids love the trees. It is such an adventure for them. Good to hear she is enjoying them, so when does she get her first free heel rig?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

schneiski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Going up tomorrow. Any recommendations?  How old is Neve?  Mine are 10 and 12 and love the trees!
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Tahawus is definitely one of the better tree runs for someone just getting used to the glades! Glad it went well.  See you tomorrow!
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Day 30: Today was really good. I was surprised how quiet the snow was.

Groomers were really good and so were the bumps, once it warmed up.

I thought the conditions today were very, very good.  Snow coverage on the North Side is top notch, no real icy patches (although we did not ski Sleeping Bear).  Twister skied great.  Headwaters very nice, as was Open Pit, Tannery better than expected. Did not get to Showcase but it looked good from the chair.

Looked like folks were having a great time on Darkside Glades, which from the chair looked like they were holding up well.  

Also looked like people were having a great time on Lies.

One day I am going to have to ski this place without my kids and really explore.  Been here almost a full season and haven't gotten to Sagamore, Chatiemac, Hawkeye etc.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by schneiski
Neve is eight. Man I was surprised how good everything was. However, we stayed low angle.

Tahawas were the only trees we did. Very decent coverage considering we really haven't had much snow. That snow that fell Tues/Weds bonded.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sat. was decent.  Hawkeye, Chati, Open Pit all firm fast & fun edgeable hardpack.  Rumor had some legit ice but easily avoided, good line down the left along the trees.  Upper 2/3 of Sagamore excellent, bottom pitch a little more hardpacky - scrapy but still not terrible, worth an extra lap. Showcase, Sunway, Quicksilver in very nice shape.

Tele guy on Rumor:

Coverage is good in the trees but showing the effects of traffic.  Tahawus glade was OK but probably the most troughed-out I've ever seen it.  Darby woods were much better, Mineshaft & Birch Bark Alley are also good bets.

My 2 kids in Darby Woods:

Sylvie, my 7-yr-old, chasing her mom down an empty Hawkeye:

Daniel, turned 11 this week, also on Hawkeye:

Very good skiing in a few of the other summit glades.  I could tell you where but it's a top secret and I'd have to kill you .
Wife skiing undisclosed summit glade:
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
Adk Jeff wrote
Very good skiing in a few of the other summit glades.  I could tell you where but it's a top secret and I'd have to kill you .
Wife skiing undisclosed summit glade:
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Hardpack softening up all around with some light snow on top of it from last night and throughout the day.  Sun never really came out to stay, so it didn't quite feel as warm as the 30s that it said on the car in the parking lot.  Said parking lot has gotten much easier to navigate since it's warmed up a bit and all the rutted snow has disappeared.  Not sure what that means for the mountain, but the ice is starting to build around the ski racks with the melting and thawing and then refreezing.   Chattiemac, Hawkeye both skied nicely.  Showcase probably had the best snow on it.  Lots of glades still open, but it's getting thin and scrapey in spots.  Made my way over to the Ski Bowl and I"m not sure how much longer it will be open or it will be worth heading to if it really warms up.  Moxham was closed, though I did see two people slide under the rope.  Looks like a run that would be nice to ski the bumps on if it had more snow.  Did the Ski Bowl Glades for the first time.  Seems like it is more an entrance and then it is free form after that, with lots of routes down to the bottom that people have made on their own, as opposed to the usual somewhat more concentrated tracks in other glades.  Racing on Echo had me wondering why they're not racing on Twister this year.  Not complaining, just an observation, but a ski coach I chatted with on the Burnt Ridge Quad was complaining.  seems like they miss Twister which is more convenient for the coaches and parents.  Rumor was open from the cheater path off Hawkeye.  Maybe next time will be the first!   Wanted to end with Lies, but by the time I was there, the rope was up with the Experts sign and figured any of the fresh snow was off and it was icy, necessitating the rope and decided not to try.  Surprisingly, Open Pit was easier to ski today than usual, again, all that hard pack getting just a bit softer.  Felt like I made up for that lost hour of sleep on some of the slower lifts(you know who you are North Quad and Ski Bowl lift  
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 29