1 ... 10111213141516 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
radam wrote
Went up to the summit to see if life was better up there and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the increasing winds elsewhere were absent up high.
This is a Gore signature. Summit lifts have wind issues on rare occasion.

Glad you had a good one.

AGREE with Jeff, sweet shots. Helps when you have a rippin model.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
snoloco wrote
So they're blowing snow on Rumor (which few people ever ski)...
Ugh. Here's a tip for life, snoloco: Let people have their fun. Just because you don't like Rumor doesn't mean that other people don't. And trust me, these decisions will look a lot better in April when we're all ripping on soft spring bumps and Burnt Ridge and Ski Bowl would probably have been closed anyway.
Enjoy President's Day Weekend with 30+ minute lift waits and icy trails skied off by 10am because 3 entire sections are closed that shouldn't be.  I'll be at Killington or Mount Snow that weekend with all the lifts and snowmaking trails in play, maybe even some natural trails as well.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Input and discussion are, more often than not, a good thing.  However, sometimes you just gotta keep your mouth shut.  Someday Sno will get that idea.....won't he?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno-

Oh ye of little faith and perhaps less experience, Ullr can do wonders in a week's time.  President's Week is just shy of a month out, Ullr and his Minion Snowmakers, can and will open all Pods in time for the crush of humanity to enjoy.  Even 46ER will be open, Harv keeps pushing for "The Ski Bowl Bump Competition", perfect terrain for that, you might not enjoy it.

As to natural terrain, with no snowmaking...wait for it; "When I was your age, we didn't have no stinkin' snowmaking anyways, walked uphill both ways, bootpacked our jumps and left crumbs from our PB&J's to follow out from our Playground."

Have fun at KY with 15,000 of your closest buds.

Jus sayin'

P.S. Mattchuck, Ace is always in the Pilot's Seat.  Great shots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
"Just because you don't like Rumor doesn't mean that other people don't."

My psycho son pictured in my avitar (now 26 and still alive) tucked Rumor when he was 12 yrs old..he likes it. My friend told me he didn't want his son skiing with my son anymore. Thankfully the tuck was a once ever occurrence. For the record, he did this on a weekday, with no one else on the trail below. At least that much was in play. I just watched with my jaw dropped. He made no announcement before he dropped in. Hope no one's kid ever does this...it was ridiculous to say the least. Son was rated at level 4 at the time with a few screws loose, DIN at a level 3.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I generally agree with sno regarding snowmaking. But in this case I do not. I do not ski the rumor as I feel that it is above my ability level. But when it's open I almost always see a lot of others enjoying the trail. It's kind of Gore's signature trail and the equivalent is not available at many other mountains. So let them make snow there.

I'd be willing to bet that there will not be 30 minute lift lines anywhere at Gore over presidents weekend (unless a lift breaks down).

I'm not sure why they have been running guns on Twister for so long (I think over a week now) but once they are done I think BR will be next. The north side will only take a few days so by the big weekend they should be fully open.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
In reply to this post by 64ER

an offering to said gods has been sacrificed.
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by TomCat
TomCat wrote
I'd be willing to bet that there will not be 30 minute lift lines anywhere at Gore over presidents weekend (unless a lift breaks down).
Yep.

Burnt Ridge is next, I'm sure. Won't take long (less than a week?) to get Echo and Sagamore online. And then it's just a matter of waiting for mother nature to deliver some natural to open the North Side, the Dark Side, and the glades. There's a pretty good base already, it will only take about 6-10" to make Tahawus and Sleeping Bear skiable. If we get 14-20" of natural over the next 3 weeks (not a ridiculous number), the mountain will be fully open.

Sno, you're crazy if you think that there will be big liftlines anywhere but the Gondy during Presidents' Week. Your experience at Mountain Creek just isn't comparable to the way we ski at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
So ...blahblahblah
Fixed it for the rest of us.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by TomCat
TomCat wrote
I generally agree with sno regarding snowmaking. But in this case I do not. I do not ski the rumor as I feel that it is above my ability level. But when it's open I almost always see a lot of others enjoying the trail. It's kind of Gore's signature trail and the equivalent is not available at many other mountains. So let them make snow there.

I'm not sure why they have been running guns on Twister for so long (I think over a week now) but once they are done I think BR will be next. The north side will only take a few days so by the big weekend they should be fully open.

tom
The two BR trails are really wide and long.  Opening just one of them probably requires as much snow as opening all of the snowmaking terrain on the Dark Side, if not more.  Usually it opens after the North Side, which usually opens concurrent with the Dark Side, but they haven't even started on the North Side.  

With all of the people who would've skied North, BR, and the Ski Bowl crammed onto the front side, you are going to see 30 minute lines at the base.  The gondola was a 30 minute wait, even with all other lifts open, although this was a windy, cold day, so not many people on the ADK Express which was the old one back then.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote

Nice shots MC. I especially like this one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
KY? Hmmm...

snoloco wrote
you are going to see 30 minute lines at the base.
Our plan is coming together nicely MC. Keep pushing this out sno and we'll be all alone, parking in the premium lot on Presidents!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
Enjoy President's Day Weekend with 30+ minute lift waits and icy trails skied off by 10am because 3 entire sections are closed that shouldn't be.  I'll be at Killington or Mount Snow that weekend with all the lifts and snowmaking trails in play, maybe even some natural trails as well.

Your posts are getting seriously bitter. Do you need a time out to think about how you talk to others?
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
those pictures are very encouraging. assumed it would be dust on crust. i should of dragged my ass out of bed and dealt with the wind and cold. thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by radam
Ok, that is pretty bad a$$
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
Get rid of those rocks so that it doesn't take 10 feet of base to get decent cover.  That's a lot of money saved that can go toward snowmaking at the Ski Bowl and Burnt Ridge.  That trail looks good if you want an excuse to get new skis.

Until you learn to really ski you should keep your mouth shut about certain things. Flat groomed man made slopes get really boring for more advanced skiers.

Looks rad to me!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DomB
Why doesn't the Gore website show what trails are being blown like the WF site does?

What terrian expansion is on tap for this weekend?  Headed to Gore for my sons Super G camp and race which with no Echo I assume will be on Twister.

What is skiing well?

Staying at Black Mt Lodge.  Need dinner suggestions too please.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Coach Z wrote
Why doesn't the Gore website show what trails are being blown like the WF site does?
Oh, that's coming with the webcam.
But seriously, they pretty much always tell in the description for the day which trails the snow crew is working on.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
Basil & Wicks in North Creek was good.  I guess I would characterize as American/bistro/pub food.  I think some things were a bit pricey but then some things were perfectly fine value.  I was at a 2 day clinic and ate dinner there at the bar one night.  I got an open face steak sandwich that was good and reasonable, and completely filling.  I think they had good beers but can't remember if they had locals or micro brews.  I bet many folks who post here know this place well.    

You may have to wait if you and your son don't want to sit at the bar on a weekend night.  I went the weekend after President's (which I would think is relatively quiet) and the wait for a table was pretty long.  I ate at the bar which was fun because there were interesting folks from a bunch of places.  Have a fun trip, and good luck to your son!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
What is skiing well?
Summit.  Rumor should be open and should be primo.
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 28