classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
547 messages Options
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Danzilla
Black Mountain has good pub food fair too (burgers, wings, meatloaf, etc.) and it is stumbling distance from your room. Mark has over 20 beers on tap. Basils is good too. Always have a good meal there and the service is good. Bar Vino is our favorite spot. Its a little bit spendy but always has an interesting menu and I've never had a bad meal there. Great beers on tap and a nice wine selection too. Mike the owner is almost always at the bar and his daughter Anna will most likely seat you. His son is one of the chefs. Barking spider has the best burger inside the blue line imo (and its only $5). PBR cans are $2. Lauras and Trappers in the copperfield are also good casual choices for dinner. Izzy's and Cafe Sarahs are good for breakfast or lunch.

I thought everything skied pretty well this weekend. Topridge and Uncas were a little scratchy but plenty of snow on the sides. My picks of the weekend were lies on Sunday and Chatty on Monday. We ventured a little off the grid and found some almost ready stashes. With the wind today you might just be in luck if you can find a local to show you some goods.

As for the kid I don't really care where he goes. I'll be at hickory and I am pretty darn sure he won't be standing in those lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Danzilla wrote
you might just be in luck if you can find a local to show you some goods
Locals prefer 'tuck and hide' over 'show and tell'😎
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
freeheeln wrote
Danzilla wrote
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
snoloco wrote
Get rid of those rocks so that it doesn't take 10 feet of base to get decent cover.  That's a lot of money saved that can go toward snowmaking at the Ski Bowl and Burnt Ridge.  That trail looks good if you want an excuse to get new skis.
Until you learn to really ski you should keep your mouth shut about certain things. Flat groomed man made slopes get really boring for more advanced skiers.

Looks rad to me!
Well it is flat, groomed, and man-made after they get a the coverage.  If it's going to be like that, then it would be logical to grade it so it takes a fraction of the snow to cover.  Now if they want it to be a harder, more natural trail, that is different, but they always blow enough snow on it to cover the rocks, so why not get rid of the rocks to save some snowmaking budget for other things.  If you guys like it being thin natural cover, then ask mgmt. not to blow snow on it.  Then they may have a chance of actually opening Burnt Ridge.

This is why Mount Snow which is further south has so much more open now, and they do have 2 bump runs much longer than any of Gore's expert terrain.  How much does Gore have open?  I'm guessing less than 200 acres.  Mount Snow has 317 acres open and will be increasing when their next wave of terrain expansion opens.  Enjoy skiing half your terrain.  I'll be going elsewhere this year, like ski areas that can open all of their terrain.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I'm guessing somehow Gore will soldier on
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Enjoy skiing half your terrain.  I'll be going elsewhere this year, like ski areas that can open all of their terrain.
I kinda like Mount Snow, but I'll take half of Gore plus half of Whiteface over that any day.
Who turned you into the Grumpy Old Man?   By the time you're my age... yikes.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
He just discovered Billy Joel........and he likes to be known as the angry young man!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Petronio
Rumor opened from the top about a half hour ago. Killing me seeing the pics on social media while I'm sitting at work!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Snoloco, Poo Pooing on everyone else's experience while giving praise to Mount Snow.......for real?

I'm not sure where to start with this one or how to articulate my thoughts on that without sounding like a complete dick so I'll just walk away.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
snoloco wrote
raisingarizona wrote
snoloco wrote
Get rid of those rocks so that it doesn't take 10 feet of base to get decent cover.  That's a lot of money saved that can go toward snowmaking at the Ski Bowl and Burnt Ridge.  That trail looks good if you want an excuse to get new skis.

Until you learn to really ski you should keep your mouth shut about certain things. Flat groomed man made slopes get really boring for more advanced skiers.

Looks rad to me!
Well it is flat, groomed, and man-made after they get a the coverage.  If it's going to be like that, then it would be logical to grade it so it takes a fraction of the snow to cover.  Now if they want it to be a harder, more natural trail, that is different, but they always blow enough snow on it to cover the rocks, so why not get rid of the rocks to save some snowmaking budget for other things.  If you guys like it being thin natural cover, then ask mgmt. not to blow snow on it.  Then they may have a chance of actually opening Burnt Ridge.

This is why Mount Snow which is further south has so much more open now, and they do have 2 bump runs much longer than any of Gore's expert terrain.  How much does Gore have open?  I'm guessing less than 200 acres.  Mount Snow has 317 acres open and will be increasing when their next wave of terrain expansion opens.  Enjoy skiing half your terrain.  I'll be going elsewhere this year, like ski areas that can open all of their terrain.
I would be willing to bet that leaving the rocks and boulders help with erosion when it rains. Also you make it sound like it's so easy to just remove boulders. I personally haven't skied Gore in 4 years (moved from NY in 1984 to Michigan) and I went from not skiing there from 1985-2010 and the difference was great.  From what i read here I think Gore does a great job of trying to cater to a wide variety of skiers. After living in Michigan I would never put down any resort in the Northeast, you have no idea how good you have it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

photo courtesy freeheeln
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
snoloco wrote
Enjoy skiing half your terrain.  I'll be going elsewhere this year, like ski areas that can open all of their terrain.
I kinda like Mount Snow, but I'll take half of Gore plus half of Whiteface over that any day.
Who turned you into the Grumpy Old Man?   By the time you're my age... yikes.
This FTW!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
Danzilla wrote
I found out this weekend that my 7 year old calls that move "Fireball"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
F¥€{ing  fabulous. Over the nose,just dropping,sloughing with you, top to bottom. Completely creamy. Rip Ride Repeat.

dontaskdonttell
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno
You got to chill out kid.  Mt Snow doesn't suck as much as Okemo but its not far behind.  Tons of CT gapers and now the Hunter crowd adding in - I'll take half of Gore over that $hit show any day.

Gore Guys
Are the trees getting in play?  sounds like the answer is yes but not legally.  Having an employee pass has some disadvantages and skiing closed stuff is one of them.  that said  Should I bring my rock skis?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Coach Z wrote
Sno You got to chill out kid.  Gore GuysAre the trees getting in play?  sounds like the answer is yes but not legally.  Having an employee pass has some disadvantages and skiing closed stuff is one of them.  that said  Should I bring my rock skis?
No rocks ,solid,slippery base. Still a bit away , not much soft on top.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think it was ml who said ragging on a guy's home mountain is like telling him his girlfriend is ugly.

This thread is a gathering spot for Gore homers. Yea we rag on Gore sometimes, but she's OUR girlfriend.

Maybe start a Gore Sucks thread and go wild.

Hate to get too heavy, but you complain about how hard it is to make friends. The key is to understand where other people are coming from and try to see their point of view.  There is some skill to it, but if you can learn how to do it, life is a hell of a lot better.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sno
You got to chill out kid.  Mt Snow doesn't suck as much as Okemo but its not far behind.  Tons of CT gapers and now the Hunter crowd adding in - I'll take half of Gore over that $hit show any day.
I don't think the Hunter crowd will really affect it much.  My dad and I did not upgrade our passes this year, although we may next year.  Didn't notice any gapers when I was there in mid-December, but the backyard effect wasn't in play.  Might be different when it is.  Mount Snow was lightyears ahead of Okemo, even when only 15% open and it certainly blows Gore away in the snowmaking dep't.

Still no snowmaking on the North Side, so zero chance of it opening this weekend.  High Peaks lift may open.  After this weekend, it's 3 weeks till President's Weekend.  A lot can happen in 3 weeks.  Maybe they'll get a good storm and be 100% open, but if it gets warm or r*ins, there will be no more trail expansion all year.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Hi I am Suds...I am a Gore Homee...I skied today(this is a conditions thread, correct)...If you didn't go up to Straightbrook, you would think it sucked and went home( a lot of people did)...If you didn't like Rumor today then you should go to stratton or wait until we have something to groom(without the wind).  It is rare to have Rumor skiing like it did today...to all you Gore Haters
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
sudsnbumps wrote
Hi I am Suds...I am a Gore Homee...I skied today(this is a conditions thread, correct)...If you didn't go up to Straightbrook, you would think it sucked and went home( a lot of people did)...If you didn't like Rumor today then you should go to stratton or wait until we have something to groom(without the wind).  It is rare to have Rumor skiing like it did today...to all you Gore Haters
That's why I really don't do "one-and-done's".  I try to get to all the sections and find something that is skiing good, and if not, then I pull the plug.

Rumor does look good in that photo.  Normally when I'm there, it's an icy death trap and closed.  I think I've skied it maybe twice.  Once in 11-12 on completely natural cover, and once in 12-13 with manmade cover.  The 2nd time I skied it, there were these really big, cut out, moguls.  I've been trying to get off the groomers and ski bumps and trees when I get the chance, but often times, there either are no bump runs (Mountain Creek), or limited bump runs that are very icy 90% of the time (Hunter).  Neither mountain gets enough snow for tree skiing.  I liked it better in 11-12 with the natural cover as there weren't as many moguls.

As good as that picture looks, I'd rather be seeing snowmaking on the still closed sections.
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 28