547 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

PeeTex
Close to 200 racers at Gore tomorrow
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Good lord! This season season is cursed.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Close to 200 racers at Gore tomorrow
What are they thinking?  Cancel it, there is nowhere near enough terrain for 200 racers to be skiing erratically all over the place.  I guarantee someone is going to get creamed and injured.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
snoloco wrote
What are they thinking?  Cancel it, there is nowhere near enough terrain for 200 racers to be skiing erratically all over the place.  I guarantee someone is going to get creamed and injured.
This one is a front runner for the Dumbest Post Of the Year award. That statement is blatantly wrong on many levels.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Slalom at the bottom of Showcase...shouldn't be a big deal.  Uncas and Topridge and the slow boat to China is where I'll be
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Denis.N wrote
snoloco wrote
This one is a front runner for the Dumbest Post Of the Year award. That statement is blatantly wrong on many levels.
If there's a slalom run at the bottom of Showcase, then how are they going to get to the top of the course?  Your answer is: They will ride up the AE2 like everyone else, then absolutely bomb Showcase at speeds completely unsafe for the conditions on a run with already more people on it than it should have.  I guarantee you that someone is going to ski slightly in the wrong spot and get creamed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snoloco I skied with the racers it was a total blast.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Harvey wrote
Snoloco I skied with the racers it was a total blast.
Wow! You didn't get creamed?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Haven't been creamed, but had many many many close calls at various mountains.  It's only a matter of time.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Denis.N wrote
snoloco wrote
+1

Even though it's early in the year I still think it may be a winner
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sno seriously you got to get here. Riding the lift with NYCEF ladies from Whiteface. They rip and are super nice and cute!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Snow is good, vis bad. Top ridge pick of the day. The racers are a non-issue.
Great to be back at Gore with some nice terrain options.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bottom half of Uncas is sweet too.  Check out the big regrading at the bottom of the Straightbrook too.  Wow!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
My Favorite Ski Day so far this year.  I definitely skied the most so far this year...In fact I stayed an extra hour just to keep lapping Uncas.  Wild Air opening was a surprise and was really nice.  The snow on Showcase was soo much better than Wednesday and having Sunway and Otter Slide open helped those that shouldn't be on the last drop of Quicksilver with an easier way down.  The visibility at the top half of skiable terain was rough but there were plenty of people on the mountain to give you some contrast. By the end of my day Topridge was a bit scratchy but if I were to ski in the r&!n tomorrow I would head there early.  One little bump and then we should make some progress as winter will come and stay for a bit next week.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore peeps:

Not sure if you know that Garnet Hill has a web cam at 2000 feet about 3 miles west of Gore. It is here:

http://garnet-hill.com/winter/trail-conditions/

You have to see an ad before looking at it (it keeps the cost down).

This page is LINKED on the NYSB weather page, currently in the right hand side bar down near the bottom.

We are working on getting a light there so you can see if it is snowing at night.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
We planned to ski Whiteface today, but could feel the car moving in the wind, so we called WF to see what was on lift hold and hearing the gondola and Face lift were, we turned off at 25 and headed to our home mountain.  IT WAS COLD today and the wind was blowing!  BRRRRRR....... The same runs and lifts that have been open the past week or so, were open, but it's clear that they are blowing significant snow on some trails like Hawkeye and Twister and getting ready to open them.  I saw them testing and running the SBQ.  Best run of the day was Topridge with soft loose snow on the sides, and hard pack on the center.  They've knocked the swales down on Uncas, but that was not as nice as Topridge with most of the soft snow gone, leaving just hard pack.  We could do one run after a regular lift ride and then have to scoot back for a gondola ride to warm up!  Did I say it was cold? Foxlair was decent from the skiers right from the top, especially where it turns to go down and nice again at the bottom.  It didn't look like they lost much from the rains on Sunday.  Significant amounts of snow were blown on Tannery and they had filled in Quicksilver but you could still find the icy spots showing through.  Sunway has nice coverage all the way down.  Showcase and Wild Air were firming up, but you could still find some soft snow on the edges.  

addendum:  they just announced on their FB page Open Pit, Hawkeye and Cloud will be open tomorrow via the SBQ
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
They rebounded well. Topridge was skiing, lower martin was rippin' - 2 heels down. It's slippery underneath the fluff,but sealed tight.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Gonna hit it tomorrow first thing. Looks like all of the front side will be groomed. Hoping the sun peeks out...
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Finally feels like winter with Lift 7 open. Hawkeye is primo edgable chalkiness. The whales were groomed out of Top Ridge, but it still skis great. Uncas is good if you have sharp skis. Steady light snow all day, started to intensify around 2:00. MLK weekend looking good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Lies was epic.  As in a long journey fraught with excitement and danger.  

I was hoping to be on it when Suds came by. Would love to see that, but missed. MC is of course at Platty.

Lies from the Bottom 1/16/16 by Todd

The best and worst snow on the mountain was on Lies.  

It was 80% awesome and 20% death.  I actually "hucked" (in quotes) a few boulders. The way the snow was piled up it kind of sucked you in. Patrol told me more snowmaking on Lies tonight and some grooming in the near future.

I was fantasizing that they groomed it tonight as soon as it was cold enough, and then started blowing on top.  Maybe not practical but fun.
1 ... 78910111213 ... 28