classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Kleetus
Overall decent day. Sides of Chatemac and Hawkeye both had edgeable sugar snow. Uncas was great. Sagamore and Echo were also good. Lots of ice out there but was good if you picked your route carefully.

Only skied 3 hours, but was glad I made it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Good day, lapped sagamore multiple times best run of the day by far.  Rest of the lower mountain was good also, I actually liked lies as well.  Was done by 1230 but good day overall.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by Hoser
Agree on Sagamore.....it was skiing really good....Quicksilver also if you like the lower mountain and less pitch.  Topridge, I say blow away...its a great run that deserves to be underfoot, I've had some amazing runs on Topridge.

Looking at the 10 day forecast....its a nightmare.

Weather Underground
10 Day Forecast Courtesy of Weather Underground

The Hudson River is a visual reminder of the last meltdown, its going to get interesting this week when the rain comes.

Rte. 418 at Thurman Station after the meltdown

Finally, flashback to a great day ripping Topridge with Karen, just in case you're not convinced they should be blowing on it!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Mike were you on a black mono? (I feel like I see monos these days, wondering if every one is you!)

I thought Gore was excellent today, especially lower mountain.

Great to meet JG and IceCoast.

Had to leave around 1:30, stopped in to tell Bone that NYSkiNation appreciates his support! And webcam!

Good stuff coming for Gore.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
It's just a short connector but the downhill of foxlair was really good so good I didn't hit Fairview
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by Harvey
I was on my Mono, but that was not me.  

I’m not sure if that was a Mono actually, the bindings were in series, not parallel.  Either way he was carving beautiful turns and making it look easy, which it absolutely isn’t.  

Eventually we will meet on the mountain!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
just in case you're not convinced they should be blowing on it!
Yeah, I agree it's a great run. Sometimes South facing terrain makes the best ski slopes if you can keep snow on them.  And, it actually makes the Topridge chair useful. I'm sure you know, that trail used to be high priority. I think they used to try to open with it.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
South facing is not all bad. I think about cold spring days, where everything is locked up tight in the morning... some days it's only low elevation or south facing that softens.

Almost all of Belle faces north... I've been there on a spring day when nothing softened.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Jerry-meter was way higher Saturday, and this is from Sunday afternoon...but it still tells a bit of the tale of the weekend.

D-bags.

I said to my son afterwards, "It's like they just think the parking lot cleanup man is just going to waltz through and pick up their mess".....and then I realized that's exactly what happened.

at least im +$0.35 now.

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
I don't disagree that Topridge is a great trail to ski.  It's just that at this point, with the current forecast, why blow it when you can blow to enhance existing trails on a pod that is already fully opened?  I recall 2 or 3 years ago when they tried opening Sagamore by blowing it in the face of bad weather.  It never opened.  

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Topridge makes sense to blow to start the year, sun angle is lowest and the south exposure doesn't mean much.  As we approach Feb it makes no sense, leave it natural at this point and if we get a real snowfall, open it.  They should be focused on pine knot, It also use to be a priority trail opening up before Uncas but for some reason that changed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
I don't disagree that Topridge is a great trail to ski.  It's just that at this point, with the current forecast, why blow it when you can blow to enhance existing trails on a pod that is already fully opened?  I recall 2 or 3 years ago when they tried opening Sagamore by blowing it in the face of bad weather.  It never opened.  

Petronio
I'd say if they want to blow it this week go for it. They will probably make big whales on it Wednesday-Thursday, and maybe even leave it for the weekend. They could groom it out sometime next week, and maybe even make a little more in the mean time. Feb. is supposed to trend cold, while the end of Jan may trend above average. i don't think we have to worry about the snow going to waste on Topridge.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Yesterday.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Any news from the mountain?  I’m sure it will be painful.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
To the webcam!
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Harvey wrote
To the webcam!

CHECK IT OUT!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
OMG
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
great cam..
need to tilt it up a deg or or 2
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by greyMoose
admittedly, i wasn't sure what kind of site that link would take me to!

Kudos to Gore! And an even better surprise that with all the rain and talk about tough weather conditions, clicked on the link to find light flurries!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I can't believe how little people seem to care. We posted it on facebook Sun am.  Nobody gave a shit.

I love it.  Yea maybe raise it up,it is super high quality so I bet you can do it.

I love the face that it is called the "Base Area Cam."  It would be so cool to have one looking out the Straightbrook Lodge!

Remember you can alway find that cam here:

http://nyskiblog.com/weather/aly/

...halfway down the page...

...with an exclamation point!
1 ... 891011121314 ... 31