This looks fun as hell.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

snoloco
And it was

That was taken Saturday.  It was just as good today after it softened up.  Not crowded at all in the afternoon.  Walk right on the gondola.  Probably everyone left because the conditions were really awful in the morning.  Z was there for his son's race and we took a run together and in the middle of the run he got a call saying that they delayed the start of today's race due to it being too icy.  Now that's saying something because normally ice is good for racing.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
For the academy kids like my son they would have been fine racing on the ice but the weekend kids would be ending up in the nets.  It was a good idea to hold off until it softened a bit to be safe.   They also had to move the start down as part of Echo washed out overnight and there was no snow.  On a regular trail they would push some snow there but you can’t do that and race over it.

Gore has considerably less snow than WF.  There is considerably amounts of permabase sticking up and once that is gone it’s down to dirt and rock.  Will be back for states in a month.  Hopefully it improves.

Successful trip for my son with a 6th, 4th and 3rd in 3 Super G races.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I was wondering why I saw two starting locations when I skied it after they opened it to the public.  I didn't see any part that washed out, but maybe they pushed snow there but as you said couldn't race on it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
This looks fun as hell.
This is why I like to ski with you, Harv. :).

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Sno's pic.
Reply | Threaded
|

LostCosmonaut
Pic from the bottom this afternoon;

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Topridge was absolutely the run of the day.  It was a playground and my Mono was loving it.

Monoskiing Topridge
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
We had a good meal at Beck's on Saturday with a couple other ski race families.  Good german style grub and beer.  Unfortunately the Black Mt Lodge where we have stayed the last serveral years changed owners and new ones seem to have lost the recipe altogether.  That place was jammed last year in the pub and now they don't have all the beers on tap and no customers at all.  The rooms which were rustic are now well worse that than so I won't be staying there again.  Too bad as I really liked that place.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
This is why I like to ski with you, Harv. :).
 Thanks Marcski.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Is it possible we might see some fresh snow?

10 Day Forecast
10 Day Forecast - Courtesy Weather Underground
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I am hopeful but not yet confident that the mountains will have a good week upcoming with three separate snow events possible.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Anyone ski GORE today?  How's it looking over there?  I'll be skiing tomorrow
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
Gore skied pretty well on Thursday.  There was a dusting of snow that really helped the ski surface.  That plus a lack of skier traffic kept the mountain in pretty good shape.  They blew a ton of snow on Lies and it was certainly the pick of the day.  The new man made snow on Wild Air made it a close second.  The surfaces are still very fast but I never had a problem holding an edge.  I have never seen Gore as empty during mid winter.  From 12:00 on we didn't see any one in a lift line including the Gondola.  The lifties were actually thanking us for skiing since without us, they didn't have anyone to talk to.  For most of the runs in the afternoon, we didn't see anyone on the trails (no kidding).  The are now pounding Rumor which should open soon.  One disappointment was that they had Topridge closed.  I don't know why but it looks like they will either have to groom it or blow new snow to reopen it.  
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the update Matt.

Had they groomed out the whales on Topridge from last weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
Not as of yesterday.  I did notice that as of today’s report that they did groom and open TopRidge. I imagine that the whales are gone now
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like they wanted to let it drain more, and the surface had set up or was unskiable.  Makes sense anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
Sounds like they wanted to let it drain more, and the surface had set up or was unskiable.  Makes sense anyway.
Haha stop kissing Bone's ass! The grooming, or the lack thereof has been the problem. Topridge was finally groomed last night, but of course many other trails were left as frozen yestertracks. The (mis)management is just as bad this year as any year's past
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Eech, the image is punishment enough! More like I was making a random ass guess without any actual information. You know, fufilling the promise of the internetz
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
1” this morning skied nice early...started getting windy and cold as the day progressed. Pretty firm underneath, and fast. Showcase was fun as it usually is.

First day at Gore for me this season. Really like the new lodge upgrades.  Sun was out for a bit but it was a cold day.  Also checked out Becks Tavern...nice place good food

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 31