classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 15161718192021 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

sudsnbumps
I thought today skied much better than expected.  My daughter and I skied away from people today and for the most part succeeded.   I have to agree that topridge early and Echo were really nice.  I also enjoyed Sagamore.  Hullabaloo was really nice and  did venture into some low angle trees and found the results to be acceptable.  I think I will go back tomorrow
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
States races this next weekend for my son. Super G on Sunday will echo be ok with the warm temps
More worried about Friday and Saturday at West

Also is it worth it for me take a day off work to ski Gore Thursday when they are doing a training day?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
No!     Yes echo will be fine.  No to day off.  They are not in good shape and will be ugly in three days   Unless u r in a use then or lose them PTO situation don’t burn one
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Think echo and many other trails will have dirt spots showing
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Though the amount of green on the radar tonight is horrifying.  I've been looking at the long range forecast for next weekend and as I suspected, tonight's update started to show an uptick toward more frozen precipitation than previously predicted.

Wunderground
Image courtesy of Weather Underground

If this continues to drift toward the cold side we might at least get a bit of a correction from what will be a destructive week.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Love the desperation, dedication and optimism Mike.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Harvey wrote
Love the desperation, dedication and optimism Mike.
That's about all we've got going for us right about now!

Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Please don’t tell Sno, but Gore says they are blowing snow tonight.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Luckily I already know.  Not sure it will get cold enough but they have announced their intentions.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Ratnicks can put down a ton of snow in just about any temperatures. That's how Killington gets open so early. You can make good snow at 32 degrees, and probably even make a little snow at 35 degrees with those things. Low-e guns really suck TBH. They're fine way to save on air when the weather conditions are just right though.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
All of Burnt Ridge closed for racing tomorrow.  Usually it was just Echo.  Hopefully this isn't the new normal.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I think it's because sagamore is closed
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It was open yesterday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
How was Gore Saturday.  More importantly how will it be after a day of rain and a week in the 40s?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I’m in Johnsburg and at 8:00 AM it’s sleet and has been holding as sleet, which when becoming desperate is a good thing.  Looking at the radar, the rain is coming but much of it may pass South (fingers crossed).

All I can say is that there has been a tremendous amount of snow loss over the past two days alone.  It’s beginning to look like mud season.

However, there is a chance for an uptick in the long range forecast.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
The reason Sagamore was closed was due to a loss of Hedges as the escape route.  Echo was the only way out and they had the U19 Championships on it.  Skiing was pretty good yesterday however the Cloud traverse was a double diamond.  We took the double to get to Lies a few times.  Everything groomed skied well.  Lower mountain is really hurting.  Topridge was our pick of the day.  We need snow bad!  Harv can I burn the skis yet...it might turn this potential storm(March 1-2) our way
I woke this morning to a frozen encased car and a neighborhood that was not treated...went back to bed
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Wonderful.  Every time there's a race for the rest of the season it's going to be closed.  Luckily there's not many more races left, so easy to ski elsewhere when there is one.  Not sure why they couldn't just leave it open and put up a "walking required" sign.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
Skied saturday and found it very depressing. The ice flows, brown spots, thin cover were everywhere. I don' t remember conditions being so bad so early. I think that by Friday, we'll know if gore can stay open. I'm not sure snowmaking is the answer because so many areas need help. What makes it so devastating is that 2 weeks ago, gore skied skied like a champ after the storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
We had 70 degree temps last year in feb. I think things looked similar. Plattekill skied great yesterday.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Hmm...
I was taught to not say anything if i don’t have something nice to say but this has to be said
Gore totally screwed the pooch to save $200 bucks of labor to man the lift overnight.
The forecast clearly called for ice and they elected to not creep the AdK chair
170 kids trying to make it to Regionals or Finals plus coaches had to hike twice up the hill to run the race
Gore (not Nysef) should send all those non Nysef kids that paid for a lift ticket with thier event fee a free lift voucher

The ADK lift did open around 1ish but word was it wasn’t worth booting up.  People that did were one run and done.  Gondi never opened.

The kids were awesome and hiked in the rain without complaint.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
1 ... 15161718192021 ... 31