359 messages Options
1234 ... 18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Conditions

MikePom
This post was updated on .
The countdown is officially starting!  Ladies and Gentlemen, get your gear ready!

Gore Opening Day

My surgeon is telling me that I'm to stay low impact until January 7, 2020, 81 Days and I'm slow gliding!  

Can't miss opening day!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MC2 5678F589
New warming hut on Burnt Ridge. I kinda like how the Abanakee Glade entrance is behind a building now (pic from Facebook):
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I kinda like how the Abanakee Glade entrance is behind a building now
+1
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Somehow I think a Yurt would have been a more appealing approach to a Burnt Ridge warming hut......great idea....uninspiring execution.

Yurt

Just look at all that snow.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Always go with the yurt
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
November 29? That's the latest opening day in at least 5 years. Plus, Thanksgiving is a mandatory family travel disaster for me, so I'm probably gonna miss it.

+1 on the yurt.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
Somehow I think a Yurt would have been a more appealing approach to a Burnt Ridge warming hut......great idea....uninspiring execution.

Yurt

Just look at all that snow.....
Psh! Just look at it.
I don't rip, I bomb.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
I’ve been doing quite a bit of preseason hiking at gore. Twister glades have professionally manicured. You could probably be ski it on with skinny skis and 6 inches of snow. Uncas has been brush-hogged so there won’t be a repeat of last year when early snowfall lead to thicket whiplash. High Pines to be hogged soon. Wild Air has been revamped with an additional 20-30 feet widening on skier’s right. I think that it has probably doubled in width since being cut almost 20 years ago. Lots of snowmaking work with new pipes and guns. It is sad to see the paucity of crowds on summer and fall weekends. The attendants to the carnival rides sit sit all day with only occasional customers. the new zip line is very minor league IMHO.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Does Gore have rides all summer or was it a traveling carnival? I’m pretty sure  I follow them on FB and I never heard of that.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by frk
Sounds  good!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Good to hear that Uncas will be ready whenever they open.  

Anyone want to start an over/under pool on when the RFID readers will be ready?  I'll take February 21.

mm

"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
I was part of the huge Columbus Day crowd at gore. The parking lots looked like a powder day and the line for gondola stretched almost to the parking lot. Heard that gore was laying off seasonal staff this weekend which meant that there would be no more soft maintenance done like brush-hogging trails. Unfortunately, High Pines didn’t get cut again this year. It will take significant snow pack to cover the brush. I’m hoping that High Pines will get some charity work before the season opens. Lots of new snow guns installed around the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

BKTele
Upper Mtn from Uncas

I was also there this past weekend and took photo from 3/4 of the way down Uncas looking up at the upper mountain. Glad to see the brush knocked down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BKTele wrote
Upper Mtn from Uncas
Nice to see Uncas getting the love!

Sounds like mountain is getting some on piste and off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Snow in the air at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A noted malcontent is predicting doom and failure with regard to the new RFID system.

I figured I'd call Gore to check on my pass.

I was told passes are going in the mail "after Friday." I asked if that meant this Saturday. I was told "probably." They are testing the gates today. Hoping for the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
A noted malcontent is predicting doom and failure with regard to the new RFID system..
I noticed that. He really likes to complain.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
This may not be the correct thread - but does anyone know how the Snow Sampler Tickets actually work at Gore / Whiteface?  Do you have to take them to the window to convert them to lift tickets or can you just roll right onto the lifts (I'd imagine the former, especially with the new RFID system)

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 for my wife who doesn't ski that much, but if I get 2 then for like $200 more we don't have to deal with the ticket window.
Reply | Threaded
|

SayvilleSteve
I used them last year and you had to go to the window EACH DAY to turn them into regular tickets. They do count as full price tickets so they can be used during Take Your Kids Skiing weeks, if that's your jam.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Thank You
1234 ... 18