114 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore skier visits down 44%, WF down 22%

Adk Jeff

noip wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I wonder what the majority of people in North Creek think?
they are thinking about the next time genny is on sale at the grand union
When I lived in North Creek the beverage of choice was Piels.  Apparently consumer preferences have evolved.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by x10003q
i have been skiing gore for 40 years and I can honestly say I have been to north creek maybe once. drove in to buy beer on a nice spring bump day, then headed right back to the mountain. increasing visits to gore by advertising to people in metro ny and nj is a tough sell. the people from that area are looking for more amenities then gore area has to offer. we have beaten that conversation to death. I would love to see north creek blossom into a ski town, it has great potential. since I am a NY resident and gore is supplemented by state tax dollars why should I pay the same rate as some clown from NJ. NY residents should pay less, yea that's the ticket
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
noip wrote
raisingarizona wrote
they are thinking about the next time genny is on sale at the grand union
When I lived in North Creek the beverage of choice was Piels.  Apparently consumer preferences have evolved.
i was just transposing my experience from my youth in queensbury
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore

Adk Jeff wrote
In addition to X's observations above, the whole point of the concept of connecting the Ski Bowl, Burnt Ridge and Main Base area with a gondi is to anchor the ski area to the town.  That is a completely different experience from Stratton and KMart.

Just for a six pack of Genny? Beer Gondi
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Adk Jeff wrote
In addition to X's observations above, the whole point of the concept of connecting the Ski Bowl, Burnt Ridge and Main Base area with a gondi is to anchor the ski area to the town.  That is a completely different experience from Stratton and KMart.
Yep.

Also, there's a lot of money in Stratton and Killington (and Stowe - Benny, if you think eastern ski towns are dated, go check out Stowe this year. Lots of shiny new construction). Nothing wrong with trying to attract a monied clientele with a unique-to-the-east experience.

The real problem here is Snow. Stratton averages 30" more a year than Gore. Even lowly Mount Snow averages 6" more. And those places don't rely on glade skiing for their upper level terrain (i.e. they actually let bump runs bump up). It's hard to be a ski town if your ski area is so reliant on man made snow. Snoloco can talk snowmaking all he wants, but an area without natural snow is an area I'm not as interested in, and I'm assuming downstaters are thinking the same thing, especially when it comes to planning a family vacation.

Meaning: if we get another couple of years like last year, I'm moving out west.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
MAtt Why wait , if that is your prIority ,move now .It gets harder to move and change the deeper and longer you are into the velvet .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Supposed to read Velvet Rut. ( dammit )
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Meaning: if we get another couple of years like last year, I'm moving out west.
If that's something you want and can make happen don't hesitate. It's rad out here.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
MAtt Why wait , if that is your prIority ,move now .It gets harder to move and change the deeper and longer you are into the velvet .
Only if you live in the traditional way: keep adding responsibilities and obligations until you can finally break free when you are older.

I own a house, a mortgage, some sports equipment, and some furniture, but that's really the only thing tying me down. No kids, no pets, not even a houseplant.

It's a lot easier to save money for a future move out west when I limit my expenditures and posessions. Moving and changing won't be hard at any point. It's accumulating enough money so I don't have to work anymore that's the tough part.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
mattchuck2 wrote
I own a house, a mortgage, some sports equipment, and some furniture, but that's really the only thing tying me down. No kids, no pets, not even a houseplant.
GoFundMe to get MC2 a houseplant?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Sell everything and buy a pimp van! If I were free of obligations I would be all over that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Many of the people I know wish that Gore was run by a private, for profit, entity.

I don't live there full time, but I really like North Creek. It is more real to me that so many other ski towns. It's not just the locals either. Because Gore is somewhat primitive vs Okemo or Stratton seems like the flatlanders who visit are a bit more real too.  I really look forward to moving there or at least moving much closer if I can't get Zelda to go all in.

I don't want to live out west when I retire but will need enough money to visit MC if he'll have me.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Sell everything and buy a pimp van! If I were free of obligations I would be all over that.
Don't think I haven't already considered that idea (and periodically revisit it).

The thing is, life is like a card game. Sometimes, the best strategy is to wait it out a bit and put yourself in a good position before playing your hand.

I'm surveying the scene, gathering my cards together, playing them close to the vest...

Someday, I'll drop the hammer.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ya I get that. I enjoyed the gypsy life for a little too long and I'm paying for it now.

But to quote warren Miller "If don't do it this year you will be one year older when you finally do."

Just don't wait too long, no one is getting out alive!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sig had a good idea.  Why don't NYS tax payers get a discount for Orda venues.  Many state parks charge more for out of state vistors.  Town golf courses give a discount to the taxpayers that support the course. This would give Gore and I think Bell a bigger boost than WF but that would kick the skier days way up if its cheaper to ski there than say VT.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
Sig had a good idea.  Why don't NYS tax payers get a discount for Orda venues.  Many state parks charge more for out of state vistors.  Town golf courses give a discount to the taxpayers that support the course. This would give Gore and I think Bell a bigger boost than WF but that would kick the skier days way up if its cheaper to ski there than say VT.
It already is cheaper. That market wants beds on the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
ml242 wrote
Coach Z wrote
Right, and the others aren't going to ski on shit snow because it's now 5 bucks cheaper
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Coach Z wrote
It is not cheaper to ski Gore vs Stratton/Mt Snow/Okemo. It is almost the same and depending on your leg work, SVT can be cheaper.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
x10003q wrote
It is not cheaper to ski Gore vs Stratton/Mt Snow/Okemo.
Gore day ticket holiday: $83
Okemo day ticket holiday: $99

And so on.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
A hundred bucks to ski on man made snow at Okemo? Wow. I'm speechless.

I would drive up to Saddleback, if there was snow.