131 messages Options
1 ... 4567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Big D wrote
Looks like the colder overnite temps will hold the base throughout this coming weekend. Looking good!
WORD!!!

Still snowing here today ion CNY---warming up for the weekend---it's gonna B sweet corn
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Couple of pics from Thurs. 4/4 afternoon. Plenty of base left.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
 i think me and the kid are gonna head up sunday to close out the season, anyone doing the same?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
C U there
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Skied GP with my wife for a couple hours today.  Parked at chair 5 which looked pretty bad so we immediately went to the front side.  

So the good -- Odyssey, Iliad, and Fields all had nice spring corn with a decently thick base.  We didn't get there until 1:30, so everything was pretty soft, but really fun.  A bit hard for my wife as she is nursing a hurt knee. The bumps on fields were even doable with some bare patch dodging.  Now, IF I was the kind of person to poach a closed hercules, I'd tell you that Hercules skied very nicely today with nice creamy snow.  But of course I'd never do that. Not even twice.  

THe bad - anything low angle or flat was wet wet wet and slushy.  Getting to lift 1 was a bit of a slushfest. Chair 5 will be lucky to e open tomorrow...it actually skied deecently though the snow looked nasty and dirty, but the last pitch down to the lift had a path about 12 feet wide down to it.  12 feet wide of dirty wet snow that isn't going to last long, and approaching the lift was pretty slushy too.

Going to try to get up there Sunday, which I t hink will be closing day for GP.  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Excellent spring skiing today at GP.  Everything that was slushy yesterday was frozen in the morning, but the snow besides that the spring corn broke loose real n ice and the base was well consolidated so besides the spots that got super wet in the afternoon everything was great.

Chair 5 made it today, barely.  

Tomorrow will be the last day for sure...base is getting thin on bottom 1/2 of everything, and forecast sucks.  Sad to see it coming to an end.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
BAD NEWS - CLOSED SUNDAY 4/7/13 - DUE TO RAIN FORECAST.
(Wes says possabillity of opening next Sat. 4/13)

Wes's report - 1-800-365-SNOW

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Big D wrote
BAD NEWS - CLOSED SUNDAY 4/7/13 - DUE TO RAIN FORECAST.
(Wes says possabillity of opening next Sat. 4/13)

Wes's report - 1-800-365-SNOW
One of the lifties at Chair 5 told me that was a possibility.  Oh well.

There's no way they will reopen next weekend - not with the base they have and the forecast for next week - supposed to hit the 60's all week, with some rain.  There might still be snow up higher especially on the sides of the trails, but down low and in the middle will be bare.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The front 3 are still wall to wall snow, there's plenty of snow to open this comming weekend if they want to.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Just for a point of reference - Song Mtn. - pulled the same stunt.

"This report is effective 6:00 AM, Sunday, April 7th.
While Saturday gave us one of the finest days of spring skiing and snowboarding in recent memory, TODAY, NOT SO NICE. On and off rain with high winds gusting to 40 MPH are forecast. Song Mountain will NOT be open Sunday, April 7th.

We still have tons of snow and may reopen next weekend. Check back later in the week for an update."
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
No way either GP or Song will open next week.  Not only will they not have the customers to bother being open, but they won't have the snow.  

Camp - i know you keep saying there's a lot of base there, but it's not everywhere...you can look and find it at the top of Iliad, Ody,and Fields off to the sides of the trails, but the center is carved out so it's pretty thin, and once you're halfway down that thick base on the sides isn't there either.  Flats off and on the lifts won't be traversable.

We have rain coming in, and the temps in the high 60's and even low 70's. Watch the webcams...the snow will be disappearing before your eyes.  

Friday was good at GP, Saturday was even better - I think because the snow had consolidated a bit.  It's a shame they dissed us on Sunday - they closed due to lack of customers, not due to the forecast.

At this point it's either drive north, get on a plane and go west, or hang up the skis and start pedaling.  
1 ... 4567