Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
It's as good as it gets around here.....100% open ..... yeeha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gunny J
Sure was great ,full on Winter conditions fresh snow everywhere glad we came up.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Got out on the mountain at 10:20 am. Seemed like 4 inches of fresh powder on the trails. Was light and fluffy early - went to lunch for an hour at 2:00. Don't know what happened to the light powder because after lunch the powder was heavier and a little cruddy in places. Talked briefly to Gunny J after I figured out who he was. (was thinking of going to Plattekill for the FREE lift ticket day, for seasons pass-holders from any other ski area which was today Sat. 3/23... but Cornhead was at Sugarbush this weekend and Mad River Glen on Friday... and my car is a gas guzzler).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Greek Peak, Saturday:

Chair 5 Roll Call?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
I'll be there!  
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
I will be there tomorrow and post a report.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sunday for our crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Cornhead and I skied Greek today (Good Friday) from 11:00 til 4:00. Still great snow coverage. Softening up nicely into softer spring snow. Hercules was great. Arcadian Gate was quite good, but very bottom melting down right before you get to lift five. Sat & Sun. look to be sunnier and great spring skiing. Was 2 seperate tractor trailer accidents out on Rt. 81 that backed up traffic for miles, even through Marathon, on old Rt. 11.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
Was out from about 2-6 and the conditions were fine. The girls had a blast,  most of the blacks are just steep blues now.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Was there on Friday for 4 hours also.  It stayed good all day - soft but not super slushy - because the sun never really broke through the clouds. Today is going to be a slush fest up there by mid afternoon.  Chair 5 had a pretty good size pool of water next to it - my kids wanted to pond skim it but it was right next to the posts for the lift line so they really couldn't with enough speed. I think Chair 5 will close after this weekend.

Agree that Herc skied very nicely yesterday.  The kids were doing the terrain park over and over, seeing who could fly higher on the jumps...they have more nerve than I do, but I fall a lot harder. The trails on the front side were great all around, even the bumps on Fields were nice soft spring bumps with no ice in the troughs.

But there is a lot of brown starting to show through unfortunately. Today's sun isn't going to do us any favors. Probably one good week left. It's been a pretty good season at GP, despite all the issues. Getting our season passes next week, and bringing in a couple new friends for their first season passes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Skied Greek - Sat. 3/30/13 from 9:30 til 5:30. Doesn't get much better than this. Firm early, then base softens up nicely. Brilliant sunshine, warm, no wind. Superb day. Should be great on Sun. also. Cornhead made it up for the afternoon.

3  pics:
Hercules

Mars Hill

Arcadian Gate:
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Coverage looks good... They gonna make it to next weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Hey Gorgonzola. I skied Greek on Easter Sunday from Noon til 4:00. Not many people there. Probably, because of Easter and the weathermen/persons predicting rain. Went over to chair 5 and they said they were closing chair 5 at 1. So did 4 or 5 runs down Mars Hill - soft snow but not bad. Chair 5 area, may not make it til next weekend - probably NO. Next went over to chair 4 which had a sign - closing at 2 - so did 4 runs down Hercules and 1 down Trojan - Hercules and Trojan might make it, next weekend. Then it started raining at 2 - skied chair 1 for 2 hours in the rain. Not many stayed to ski the rain, maybe 6 or 7. (lift attendant said, "you are a diehard" - well either that or don't know enough to come in out of the cold/windy rain). Greek plans on being open all next week, days, then next weekend also. Problem will be the bottom areas, melting down... not sure if the groomers can push some snow down to the bottom areas. If it stays cold nights, it might hold the base and they could make it. I guess keep and eye on the webcam. Should be OK right into Thurs./maybe Fri. and hopefully next weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
Coverage looks good... They gonna make it to next weekend?
I'd say for sure---there's tons of snow up there and temps are cold at night, heck, we're even gonna get a inch or 2 of snow tonight---- they haven't even begun to push it around yet---Doc did a great job this year putting the snow down where it needed to be.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
I was there Friday and they said they were going to try to open up the next two weekends if at all possible.
13-14 would be last weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
northerncajun wrote
I was there Friday and they said they were going to try to open up the next two weekends if at all possible.
Was there Friday also.  Given the rain and the forecast I'd be surprised if they make it past next weekend.

We skied Windham yesterday (Easter) and they had more snow than Greek in general, but were closing yesterday.  There was almost nobody there.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
northerncajun wrote
Was there Friday also.  Given the rain and the forecast I'd be surprised if they make it past next weekend.

Seriously??? There's more snow up there right now than we had all of last year. They'll close 4/7 but not due to lack of snow. Hell, it's been snowing here for 2 hrs already today.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
It's just my opinion camp - I was up there Friday, I saw where the usual bare spots were showing up, I saw where the water was coming up through the snow, I saw the brown gray spring snow and skied through the nice pools of water at the base areas.  Looking at the 10 day forecast it's going to get cool for a couple days, then pretty warm again with some possibility of rain in there.  Next week looks to be getting sunny and in the high 50's.  The snow will go fast.  If they open the weekend of the 13th, it will be with a couple trails only and real slushy.

Just my opinion.  I bet you a beer that one of us will be right.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote

Just my opinion.  I bet you a beer that one of us will be right.
I dig it

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Looks like the colder overnite temps will hold the base throughout this coming weekend. Looking good!
1 ... 34567