Greek Peak Conditions (2012-2013)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
131 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

northerncajun
how old you gotta be to join Cornell Ski Club?

I got two girls in Ithaca that I have trouble getting out there to GP.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
I have one going out with a group today and they will ski till late.

I will hit her up for and update. It snowing now!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i think you need to be a student..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Great day 10 or so inches fresh light fluff with constant flurries through out the day. Could use more base as I definitely hit bottom a few times in the woods, ah what's a few more shots on the bases. Hopefully the snow sticks around for a while.
Ran into the powderqueen and the dippikillers (that would be an awesome name for a band - talk to Charlie haha) and snow monkey - fun skiing with you guys  no sign of the a18 gang
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My daughter said conditions were good, but sooooo cold....
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
JasonWx wrote
My daughter said conditions were good, but sooooo cold....
13 at 8:45 when I rolled in, 19 at 2:00 when I left. I didn't think it felt too bad although the toes got a bit cold on the ride up #2
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sunday or beloved GP skied fabulous----We got 10 inches friday night then another 2 from backlash LE on saturday.

Entire crew (minus one who was at WF w/ the azzclowns) was on the lift at 8:15. Lapped chair 1 until 9'ish then headed over to 4 for some Trojan burners, and to get away from all the racer nerds (some college race). Once 5 opened up we headed over there to find Mars in perfect condition, just like the rest of the hill. We skied there until it got crowded, prolly about 11. Hit the yellow chair down to NASTAR then down to chair 1 again. Once there we found LINES , long azz lines , most of us were done (don't wait in lines) and headed to the bar where the beers and American Honey really hit the spot.

Best day of the year for me so far
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Firm and fast--too fast---we need more snow, actually we just need the temps to stay friggin cold!!!

To GP's credit they were setting up guns---gun POW
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
just an FYI for GP skiers

anyone who's skiing saturday may want to stop by Gatherings and check out Johnny and Lonnie do their thang.....Lonnie is fresh off his Grammy nomination and is ready to rock, should be a good time. They'll be playing from 3 to 5

http://lonniepark.com/

http://www.tenmanpush.com/

Snow moving in for the weekend---should be killa
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
They are blowing snow on Hercules! I never woulda thunk it..
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
pro2860 wrote
They are blowing snow on Hercules! I never woulda thunk it..
Have seen it before.  Stupid waste of resources though.  They should keep blowing on their main trails like Fields, Iliad, Trojan - to stay open as long as possible.

Blowing snow on herc - it will only be scraped off to an dirty ice patch shortly after they open it anyway. Hercules is a crappy trail in the first place -- a long flat entry, a short steep-ish section, followed by a long flat exit that crosses a busy traverse trail.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
This post was updated on .
Skied Greek on Sun. 2/17/13 with Cornhead. Sun was out early then off and on throughout the afternoon. Some snow squalls. Saw Walt (triple cities ski club guy with the horn) going to lunch at high noon. We took a break to warm up in Orions Pub at 11:10 till about noon. Met Camp and pro2860. Nice to meet you guys. Skiing was quite good (although last Sun. was awesome). Skied Odyssey, Illiad, Alchemene, Elysian Fields, Trojan and Mars Hill. Trails were fast and it was kinda cold with windy conditions.

About 1:00 there was this big banner off to the left as you got off of lift 1A and the banner read, "will you marry me".
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right on BigD, nice meeting u too!!

Skiing was great.....talent in the bar was off the hook yesterday...WOW

We got tree, 4 inches of new snow last night so switched my day off...gonna b great today
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by billyymc
Hey Billy...maybe Greek could hire you as a consultant and solve all of their problems! Some of us actually LIKE skiing that crappy trail!!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Big D
Nice meeting you yesterday! Maybe some day we will make some turns together
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
Hey Billy...maybe Greek could hire you as a consultant and solve all of their problems! Some of us actually LIKE skiing that crappy trail!!
Great idea!  

No  offense - I just don't get excited about big wide open trails that go straight down the hill.  IMO there is the potential for so much nice terrain to be developed and opened up at GP that a trail like Hercules just seems like a wasted effort to me.  Hercules is a first-rate examle of  unimaginitive trail making.  Other than the fact that it offers a bit more pitch, I don't find anything interesting about it.  I think that snow they're blowing on Hercules right now will be gone with the next thaw cycle -- and imo it would serve a better purpose on Iliad, Ody, Fields/Stoic, or even Trojan, all of which could use the added base to stay open as long as possible this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
pro2860 wrote
Great idea!  

No  offense - I just don't get excited about big wide open trails that go straight down the hill.  IMO there is the potential for so much nice terrain to be developed and opened up at GP that a trail like Hercules just seems like a wasted effort to me.  Hercules is a first-rate examle of  unimaginitive trail making.  Other than the fact that it offers a bit more pitch, I don't find anything interesting about it.  I think that snow they're blowing on Hercules right now will be gone with the next thaw cycle -- and imo it would serve a better purpose on Iliad, Ody, Fields/Stoic, or even Trojan, all of which could use the added base to stay open as long as possible this season.
For serious, I mean who the heck wants to ski straight down the fall line

GP will close the first weekend in April no matter what snow is left---it's just what they do.

Actually, by cutting Herc they totally took away the best tree skiing on the hill. When I first heard they were cutting that I was sooooooo excited for a new glade. Now not so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
GP was off the hook good yesterday. Still not enough snow to get into the woods, but the fresh 3 on top of perfect wall to wall cord made for my best day of skiing in 2 years. We lapped the place until my knee couldn't take anymore, paying for it today but well worth the fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
Well I don't what to make you jealous but it was freaking better today. Waited didn't go until bout 11:30 the snow fell out the sky all afternoon had to pick up a good-3-5. It was great cutting fresh tracks all over and hardly anyone was there. Conditions were better today at Greek than Gore over the weekend and I love Gore.

The girls loved it! I love skiing with my girls the 9 year old snowboard finally got it she is not doing big GS turns loves it so much she yells at times.

Amazing when your kid gives it up to the mountain and just does it.
The best Greek has ever skied for me ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Glad you had a great time at our beloved GP