classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
222 messages Options
123456 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

billyymc
Was able to get up to GP for a few hours Friday afternoon with my wife and kids. The conditions were surprisingly VERY good, with piled up packed powder everywhere. Would have liked to stay longer but had dinner plans and the ski clubs were coming anyway.

Not sure how things will hold up through today's rain.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Surprisingly good??? Dude, we got like 8" of POW  --- I knew it would be good.

Skiing will be just fine this weekend, not sure about next week when it turns cold, prolly back to glacier skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
8 inches? No, not unless you are multiplying the actual snowfall by 2x.

I was there. It was a nice 4". There were untracked areas where you could clearly see how much snow was there.

I said surprising because the hill is holding up well in this  yo-yo weather we've been having all year.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Broken record time .... firm and fast

Winter to return starting  Wed of this week ---- LE machine to crank back up, with any luck the weekend will be good.

Made a few turns then hit the bar. Beer, laughs, and friends make up for crappy skiing.

Good chattin w/ ya Big D ---- I heard things soften up bit later in the day
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Only certain portions, softened up... was still huge ice splatches here and there which were hard to see in the flat light and the sun never did come out. When I stopped skiing at 5:00, everything hardened up super firm and was like a skating rink and with the darkness those ice splatches were hard to spot. Great to see you guys, supporting Trax and pounding down a few... HA HA.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Greek Peak makes magic snow!! In spite of all the rain they have had, and are continuing to get, they haven't lost ANY base!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Tree" overnight and still snowing ---- gonna be a good weekend at GP
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
There was at least 3" on the ground at opening and it snowed all morning...must have been in the 4-5" range by the time I left.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Things are softening up

Brewbird day and nice cord made for good skiing ---- I lost a contact so had to quit earlier than normal  ----- worked out good cause Trax was SLAMMED!!!!! These guys are printing money with their investment, glad to see it.

Pro and I were introduced to Marc who is one of the new owners. I must say the dude was very humble in exepting my many thank u's for all the improvements he and his partner have made in such a short period of time. He commented that the improvements we all for the skiers/riders of GP, and that they were just getting started. I believe him, and I also believe there are many, many, good things heading our way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
Pro and I were introduced to Marc who is one of the new owners. I must say the dude was very humble in exepting my many thank u's for all the improvements he and his partner have made in such a short period of time. He commented that the improvements we all for the skiers/riders of GP, and that they were just getting started. I believe him, and I also believe there are many, many, good things heading our way.
The cool thing about Marc and John is that they WERE GP customers for so long.  They are just like us... "if I ran this mountain..."

Except, you know, they've got money.

Say hello for NYSB next time you him.  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
The cool thing about Marc and John is that they WERE GP customers for so long.  They are just like us... "if I ran this mountain..."

Except, you know, they've got money.

Say hello for NYSB next time you him.  

Excellent point!! They are just like us, skiers, and they are in it for long haul.

I'm sure I'll be chatting with them again and I'll certainly say howdy from NYSB  Turns out we have a good number of mutual friends, and Pro is friends with their Pro at Elmira CC --- I love small worlds.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
With these cold temps the guns are putting out some amazing snow......GP is pounding it!!!

Won't take much help from MaNatch and the trees will be back in play, with any luck that will happen in the next few days.

I really like that new quad, but with one exception. When you get 4 fellas on there things can get a little tight. While getting off yesterday myself and one of my buddies got tangled up, still no clue what happened, but my right boot was glued to his right ski, again, no clue how or what happened. What I can tell you with no doubt in my mind is that I double ejected, full on pancake mode right on the ramp ---- hahahaha . With my cat like reaction I scrambled out of the way without the lift shutting down.....i hate it when the lift shuts down

Anyway, it made for a good chuckle
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Camp - hope you're right about the trees.  Agree that GP has done a great job snowmaking this year.

But I have to disagree about the quad - everyone I know hates it in its present state. It runs no faster than lift 1, and makes more stops than a city bus. And the stops are often prolonged.

Not sure if they problems are loading, or unloading. Probably some of both. They can improve the unloading by regrading the off ramp this summer and widening the whole area (fan it out). An immediate improvement might be to taser people who get off and then stand in the exit zone for a while blocking the way for others.

Not sure what they can to do help if loading is causing some of the problems...maybe a sign would help so people know to put their knees up against the gate.

It's good that they got the quad in - but they gotta make it work the way it was intended.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
Camp - hope you're right about the trees.  Agree that GP has done a great job snowmaking this year.

But I have to disagree about the quad - everyone I know hates it in its present state. It runs no faster than lift 1, and makes more stops than a city bus. And the stops are often prolonged.

Not sure if they problems are loading, or unloading. Probably some of both. They can improve the unloading by regrading the off ramp this summer and widening the whole area (fan it out). An immediate improvement might be to taser people who get off and then stand in the exit zone for a while blocking the way for others.

Not sure what they can to do help if loading is causing some of the problems...maybe a sign would help so people know to put their knees up against the gate.

It's good that they got the quad in - but they gotta make it work the way it was intended.
I'm with ya. IMO, the problem with that lift, isn't the lift, but the number of beginer to very intermediate level of skiers riding it. I have no idea why the concept of just standing there until the chair comes around and grabs you is so hard for some to grasp. I think what would help is if they had a big ass monitor with a loop of people properly loading and unloadign that lift might help. They could also advertise lunch specials, music, attractions, etc etc on that monitor. But hey, what the heck do I know --- I'm there to ski

We actually don't spend that much time over there. We're there for first chair and start to migrate once the masses start showing up.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote

Compared to the old 1A I love the new lift. It is a little faster and a whole lot more comfortable. I don't really see how they can run it any faster than they currently do even with a wider and deeper unloading zone. You are currently getting off the chair a split second before it goes around the bullwheel so with faster speeds there will be even more stops. Maybe if they could relocate the unloading zone a bit earlier and have the chair go over your head after unloading...Currently when they run chair 1 I ride it because it rarely shuts down with most inexperienced skiers and boarders riding the quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Was up to Greek on Sat. 1/25 and was talking to a guy, riding up the new Quad and he said he heard that they are only allowed to run a fixed grip ski lift in New York State only so fast. What he said he heard was that according to New York State regulations/law a fixed grip ski lift must have 7 seconds time between chairs. Using my minute hand on my watch this 7 second interval is what the Quad and lift 1 are currently running at.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
After glancing through some of those regulations, seems as though the designer of the ski lift determines how fast it can be run.

On Sat. 1/25 we got on the Quad about Noon after taking a break in Traxs. After loading I saw a mass of Ski Patrollers, and snowmobiles up beyond the first lift tower on that first trail coming back to the base. Turns out someone fell off the chairlift, probably about a 20 foot drop onto a firm base. The person was stabilized and strapped into one of those rescue tobbogons... hope they are allright.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Big D -was wondering what had happened there...saw them working on the person also, but was riding Ch 1. I also noticed that after ski patrol had taken the person away that the workers with the snowmobiles remained there waving people away - I wondered if they had to do some measuring of distances and heights for accident reports or something like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Young girl fell off the lift between towers 1 and 2, aprox 20' drop. She broke her leg and hip--- ++++vibes++++ for a quick and full recovery for this young ripper.
123456 ... 12